Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pad advice
Fizzer

posted on 25/7/12 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Brake pad advice

Hi All,
I know this is an oft' discussed topic but I've not found exactly what I'm looking for yet.

Over the last couple of years my car has got faster and faster and now I'm doing more track days I've found that my Mintex 1144 pads (in wilwood powerlite calipers) just fade away after a few laps of heavy braking. It's a closed body car (Fury) so I guess temps are higher around the caliper due to lack of airflow. To that end, I've added some vents and ducts to get some air in there with some reduction in fade.

If I wanted an out-and-out track pad that I can swap in for track days, what would you recommend? (I plan to slip the mintex in for road use but would probably drive to and from the circuit on the track pads)

Cheers
Andy

Andy D

posted on 25/7/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Out of this selection HERE

I've tried smart pads, (came with the calipers) Rubbish.
1144 a bit better, but not up to long sessions on track.
Poly E Better again, but still not good enough on track.
I'm now using the Poly A, had a few sets, happy with them

You could also try the Mintex 1155? or see if 1166 are available anywhere.

Fizzer

posted on 25/7/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I had a quick look on the UK mintex website but am having trouble finding descriptions of the different compounds that they do...
ashg

posted on 25/7/12 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
1155 is the next step up from the 1144's

you need to speak to tmd friction they are the distributor for mintex and pagid. cant remember the name of the chap in the technical department that i spoke to but he was really helpful when i was having trouble with brake squeal.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

mookaloid

posted on 25/7/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
1144's were great from cold on the hill climbs and sprints so I can imagine that they start to fall away after extended use.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Fizzer

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone use polymatrix A on the road?
lethal or useable?

loggyboy

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
What disks are you running?

Mistral Motorsport

Fizzer

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
The disks I got with the powerlite kit:
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=10502&osCsid=hqdvj3ng7r6hv3s99dt45737p2
I have the vented disks at the moment but a set of wilwood solids is waiting to go on.

loggyboy

posted on 25/7/12 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fizzer
The disks I got with the powerlite kit:
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=10502&osCsid=hqdvj3ng7r6hv3s99dt45737p2
I have the vented disks at the moment but a set of wilwood solids is waiting to go on.

Surely sticking with the vented will be the best way to keep fade down? And maybe even go for drilled to get even more heat out.

Mistral Motorsport

Fizzer

posted on 25/7/12 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, it's a bit of a grey area, if you google 'drilled vs solid disks' there are a lot of different opinions.

I bought drilled because I assumed the same as you, however drilled and vented disks can heat up more quickly due to their lower mass, they take less energy to warm up because there is less material in the disk. Admittedly they do take less time to cool down as well.

There are some other theories about the benefits of grooves/holes in disks (gas dissipation, clearing water mud quicker, better bite)

I don't have the choice of vented disks due to space/cost, however I had heard from several sources that drilling can weaken a disk which could lead to failure. This was my primary reason for getting a set of solid disks - I'd rather not have an exploding disk!

Either way, I'll keep the drilled disks, so if the solids turn out to be terrible (I don't think they will) then I can always reconsider.

[Edited on 25/7/12 by Fizzer]

rj

posted on 25/7/12 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I had a Nova rally car for years, i tried various mintex and ferodo pads, but all tended to go off on longer stages, i was limited to small discs (vented) due to running 13" wheels. Then I tried carbon metalic pads, i used Hawk Black from rally design, they were awesome, worked from cold and never faded due to heat, made a difference having 100% confidence in the brakes. Downsides were they wore away a set of discs per set of pads - not a problem as i used std discs at £10 each, and they deposited stuff on the wheels, wouldnt come off, i think it was red hot dust that just burnt its way into the wheel paint, so wheels looked crap but a small price to pay for the braking.
Not sure if Hawk Blacks are still availible, but carbon metalic pads are just in a different league to non carbon metalics

PeteS2k

posted on 25/7/12 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ferodo DS2500.

That is all.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 25/7/12 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rj
I had a Nova rally car for years, i tried various mintex and ferodo pads, but all tended to go off on longer stages, i was limited to small discs (vented) due to running 13" wheels. Then I tried carbon metalic pads, i used Hawk Black from rally design, they were awesome, worked from cold and never faded due to heat, made a difference having 100% confidence in the brakes. Downsides were they wore away a set of discs per set of pads - not a problem as i used std discs at £10 each, and they deposited stuff on the wheels, wouldnt come off, i think it was red hot dust that just burnt its way into the wheel paint, so wheels looked crap but a small price to pay for the braking.
Not sure if Hawk Blacks are still availible, but carbon metalic pads are just in a different league to non carbon metalics

Agree, if your having problems with brake fade carbon metalic is the way to go, I had Carbon Lorraines on my last track car, best mod I ever made superb

http://www.carbonelorrainebraking.co.uk/

bigfoot4616

posted on 25/7/12 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
i've always rated hawk pads.
used HP+ on my integra and they where awesome on track, the dust wasn't good though.

use the hawk DTC30 on the striker, much better than the 1144's. seem to wear well and don't wear the discs. i've just got some more as the old ones are getting a bit low.

bobthebuilder

posted on 25/7/12 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
i used to use the hawk pads on my nissan pular track car.
absolutly fantastic, no fade , good from cold
got mine from cambridge motorsport parts

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.