Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What are your top tips when doing a build?
jonabonospen

posted on 29/11/12 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
What are your top tips when doing a build?

I am hopefully going to be getting my chassis and first few modules of my Mac#1 Worx in the next few weeks and am doing more bits of preparation homework before it arrives so I can hit the ground running, and was just trying to find peoples tips on drilling and cutting bodywork, when I wondered what people best tips were in general for a build.

So what are your best tips / snippets of advice / nuggets of wisdom, for when building a kit?

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/11/12 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
don't forget/neglect the wife (or girlfriend etc) they won't appreciate you vanishing for hours on end

Well...maybe they would you never know

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 29/11/12 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Have a bank account twice as big as you thought it needed to be.

Mistral Motorsport

Hellfire

posted on 29/11/12 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Measure twice, cut once.......

Phil

RK

posted on 29/11/12 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Use lots of cardboard templates. Don't toss all those cardboard boxes the missus is on your case about getting rid of. You'll need the stuff.
scudderfish

posted on 29/11/12 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
If in doubt, you probably need more tools.
roadrunner

posted on 29/11/12 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Have lots of pencils. It doesn't matter how organised you are, you will put one down, and it will be lost in seconds and you loose hours looking for it.
ali f27

posted on 29/11/12 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Put body panels on after you wired and pumbed stuff makes it easier to get at things
steve m

posted on 29/11/12 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
The tool gremlins will move your tools around while you are asleep, but if every tool is placed back in its respective place
at bedtime/close of play, it seems the gremlins dont go there

Measure twice, cut once....... is by far the most important rule!

A tidy, clean, bright, workshop, makes for a pleasent build

You can never have enough power points or extension leads

Being organised with the spare parts, keep them in labeled boxs, (i use those foldaway stackers)

At close of play for the day, jot a couple of things down that you wanted to do, but ran out of time, as the following day while trying to find your favorite 10mm spanner, you will of forgotten what was the next job

making a to do list and scribbling the item off, is soooooooooooo satisfying !

must be more,

steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/11/12 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
before you shut the garage door at night make sure everything is switched off

I was very lucky, I shut the door and as I walked away heard a faint whirring noise, turned out as I left the hot air gun had fallen over, switched on and was blowing against some news paper!

oh and have plenty of fire extinguishers, 3 times I’ve had to use them

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 29/11/12 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Take your budget and add 1/3 to 1/2 again

Take lots of photos (for IVA and for potential buyers in the future)

Take every opportunity to sit in it and think how great it will be when finished

Be prepared to have to explain to people what you're doing

sdh2903

posted on 29/11/12 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Bit hard to explain, but when buying components/parts if you are torn between buying cheaper and more expensive/better, bite the bullet and buy the more expensive firsttime round, it works out cheaper in the end and you end up with superior bit's.

I didn't do this and ended up doing several jobs 2 or 3 times over.

Fire extinguisher a must as previously stated.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 29/11/12 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
All of the above, plus lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of patience!

You will be tested to the max many times, you will feel like setting fire to the whole damn thing!! But when those times hit, take a step back, grab a few beers (or spirits if that's your bag) and get yourself on here for some divine intervention.

You will find many many moments of desperation on here (me included) where it seems like it's never going to happen. The collective will pull you through, and you WILL finish it

Now I've filled you with doubt and gloom, just enjoy the experience. I always wanted to build a kit but ended up doing a complete scratch-build Locost, and am so glad I did, it's another tick on my bucket list and the best feeling in the world (well almost )

Good luck, lots of pictures, and remember, the keyboard is never very far away......

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Dick Axtell

posted on 29/11/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Don't build your project in a lock-up, without light, power, warmth or a loo!!

Make sure all the factors above are there, even if you have to park yer missus' motor on the drive.

Working in the aforementioned lock-up ain't no fun - which is why I'm here at home, and not sorting out the re-rest items!!

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Slimy38

posted on 29/11/12 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
plus lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of patience!

I'm going to have something like this printed out in huge letters and pinned on the wall. And I'm still torn between whether I should look at a schedule and a deadline, or whether I should just work on it when I can. If I do the former I can imagine my patience wearing very thing, if I do the latter I would half expect to never finish it.

mcerd1

posted on 29/11/12 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
as above - proper big fire extinguishers of a suitable type
chances are you'll not need it, but sods law says: "if you don't have one, then you'll need it" and you don't want to be in that situation

it happened to one of the dax builders a few years back - a little fuel leaked onto a hot exhaust manifold and the little in car extinguisher didn't work (one of the ones favoured by the Max Power lot) - he lost the car, the garage and nearly the whole house with it

also be very careful if your using hole saws in metal !
(search the old posts on this site and you'll see what I mean )

on a more positive note:

these are great when your fitting panels:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=cleco+&_sacat=0&_odkw=cleco+pins&_osacat=0

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
take lots of photos (for IVA and for potential buyers in the future)
and post them up here too so we can see how your getting on
they'll also help you get lots of suggestions/motivation when/if you get a bit stuck

if you recon all the donor bits it could add quite allot of £££ to the budget and takes a bit of time, but its quite satisfying and means you'll end up with whats basically a new car
also you can paint all the bits to keep them looking nice and new while your at it

[Edited on 29/11/2012 by mcerd1]

-

mcerd1

posted on 29/11/12 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
one last thing form me - there is a disease called 'upgraditus', I'm speaking here as a chronic sufferer...
it affects you brain and makes you swap all the donor bits and standard parts of the kit for shinny aftermarket ones made from aluminium, titanium, carbon fibre or in my case bits with 'cosworth' written on them

this disease can set your IVA date back by years and will have a devastating impact on you bank balance

watch out for the early signs and seek treatment if you think its starting
(treatment will normally involve a much more sensible builder telling you: "you don't need that, just get it on the road first ! " )

-

jonabonospen

posted on 29/11/12 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
one last thing form me - there is a disease called 'upgraditus', I'm speaking here as a chronic sufferer...
it affects you brain and makes you swap all the donor bits and standard parts of the kit for shinny aftermarket ones made from aluminium, titanium, carbon fibre or in my case bits with 'cosworth' written on them

this disease can set your IVA date back by years and will have a devastating impact on you bank balance

watch out for the early signs and seek treatment if you think its starting
(treatment will normally involve a much more sensible builder telling you: "you don't need that, just get it on the road first ! " )

I think I am suffering from this infliction already. It has already gone from NA ZX10R to Turbo ZX10R and I haven't even started the actual build yet

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/11/12 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
yeah try and stick to the Philosophy of the old book, there was a time when these cars actually were locost but most seem to have lost sight of that
TAZZMAXX

posted on 29/11/12 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Don't be disheartened if you're a year in and still have only a bare chassis to look at. When I joined this forum I laughed at how long these guys were taking to build a car. 6 months from start to finish I told myself but I am still looking at an incomplete chassis. I'm now distracted by additional projects and work so time for my Haynes is minimal but I have promised myself I'll resume it after Christmas. I just need to decide which year
renetom

posted on 29/11/12 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
IVA

Hi
If you intend to use it on the road , before you start assembly
Get the latest IVA manual, and make sure you adhere to it at
Every stage of the build , will save you a heap of time & money.
Much better to build it right the first time.
Having given you these words of wisdom , still failed the IVA first time.
Good luck
Rene.

stevegough

posted on 29/11/12 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Get some insurance for whilst you are building it - it costs next to nothing, (£60 a year for me) and if things get nicked or burnt you'll at least have some compensation.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Hellfire

posted on 29/11/12 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fix a large whiteboard to your garage wall. You'll find it invaluable.........

Phil

StevieB

posted on 29/11/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Start and finish each session in the garage with a couple of simple, easy things to do - you'll get an immediate sense of achievement to drive you through the rest of the day and finish on a little high, so you're happy to go back for more at the next opportunity.

And if, like I did, you have a new born baby, have a decent stock of paper overalls and latex gloves - I found that I was missing our on garage time because of the amount of time I was getting shouted back into the house to assist with various things. Once I cottoned on to having the paper overalls and gloves, I could be in the house, with non oily hands and clothes in seconds on demand.

Jimfin

posted on 29/11/12 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Three tips for you -

If its not right, dont bodge it or try to find a work around. take it apart and do it right otherwise it will become a problem later.

Keep it simple for the IVA, stick to basic specs to avoid load of grief with emmissions and noise. You can can upgrade to your hearts content later but just start simple.

Always found a magnet on a telescopic stick was handy for the bits (or tools) that got dropped - they always roll just out of reach! And if they are not magnetic, just add a dod of blue tack

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.