Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help me start it today....Please
pointy

posted on 9/12/12 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Help me start it today....Please

All,

I have an urge to get the car started for the first time however I have also got a bit confused ref the wiring.

So background.
x flow engine with FIA Switch, Old type starter (inertia)block type start relay
I have the wiring diagram from "The Book" but need some guidance.

Could someone (in layman's language explain) or draw the wiring to enable me to start the car.

Andy p

marcjagman

posted on 9/12/12 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Where are you? Someone may be able to nip round and show you.
Theshed

posted on 9/12/12 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I am not up to a drawing but here goes in words...

The wiring for the starter:

The starter is just a DC motor. To turn it needs a +ve and a -ve. There is no -ve terminal on the motor it is the outer case itself. The connection back to the battery is via the engine and an earthstrap usually to the chassis. There is then a -ve lead from the battery to the chassis.

The +ve in your case passed through the FIA switch - you will need to turn it on!. Out of that it will run down to the starter relay almost always a bolt on connection. This is usually a good hefty cable 8-10mm thick with the insulation. Cheerfully it is usually red. The relay will have two chunky terminals usually bolt on and one sizable push on terminal. The wire down to the starter is attached to the second chunky terminal.

The relay is just a switch operated a magnetic coil fed by another +ve and -ve pair of connections. Just like the starter usually the body of the relay is bolted to the chassis and provides the -ve. The +ve is connected through the ignition switch and onwards to the battery.

You will need to work out which wire in your ignition barrel operates the starter. If you do not have a multimeter go for the two biggest wires. If you are impatient then you can test the starter circuit by connecting a wire from the solonoid/relay directly to a lead from the +ve - this will spark and burn you if you are careless....

The ignition wiring is a doddle - assuming a distributor with points and a coil

The distributor is just a switch that opens and closes 4 times per revolution. A +ve from your ignition barrel or other switch is connected to the +ve side of your coil. The negative side is connected to the distributor. The effect of that is that the voltage across the coil gos up and down. The voltage at the HT side of the coil also goes up and down this voltage is applied across the spark plug and produces a spark. If the spark happens at the right moment in the engines cycle.....Broom broom

This might not be the question you were asking - Sorry if this is a suck eggs answer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.