Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who can close a road?
owelly

posted on 22/1/13 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Who can close a road?

As far as I can glean, the BiB can close a road but any other agencies need a Temporary Restriction Notice/Order. So how can council snow clearing contractors build snow walls to close off roads? They say its so they can clear the roads quicker without other road users ad its to stop folks driving on dangerous roads but the A169 has been clwar aprt from the snow road blocks all night. Still, the contractors are on overtime....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 22/1/13 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
You are allowed to clear obstructions anyway. They probably just figure that most people won't !

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

owelly

posted on 22/1/13 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
The snow walls are built with diggers and are over 12 feet tall!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 22/1/13 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote

adithorp

posted on 22/1/13 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
The snow walls are built with diggers and are over 12 feet tall!!

So how do you know the road is clear if youcan't go along it?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

owelly

posted on 22/1/13 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Because I work at a RAF base in the middle of the 'closed' road and have to wait for the diggers to let e out!!

lsdweb

posted on 22/1/13 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Fire and Rescue Service, probably Ambulance too (not relevant to your particular question I know).

Local Authority may have emergency powers in certain circumstances.

snapper

posted on 22/1/13 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Fylingdales?
Call the Mod Plods

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Peteff

posted on 22/1/13 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
The highways agency can close the motorway in the event of an accident or emergency.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Agriv8

posted on 22/1/13 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Because I work at a RAF base in the middle of the 'closed' road and have to wait for the diggers to let e out!!

I would be on the phone to the council emergency planning Dept. What would happen if there was an Major incident and they needed to get ambulance and god knows what else to you ! would they also have to wait for a digger to remove the Snow Bank ?

Atb Agiv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Confused but excited.

posted on 22/1/13 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Get the MoD to phone the contractor and tell them that they are going to have to pay all your wages, at double time, until you can all get out. That will shift it!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

owelly

posted on 22/1/13 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
The MoD Plod have little interest as they don't want to be looking after folks who get stuck anywhere near the camp. Likewise, the locsl council are playing the old 'health & safety' card. The camp has its own fire section and medical centre and the use of a helipad should tgings get desperate so the obly real problem is the 40 mile detour when you know that any half decent 4x4 or car with suitable tyres will be able to get through.
Grrrrr!!

ashg

posted on 22/1/13 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you just get reme to go down there with their diggers

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

owelly

posted on 22/1/13 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
No REME on our radar site.... I spose they could bend the radar beam down a bit....

mcerd1

posted on 22/1/13 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
No REME on our radar site.... I spose they could bend the radar beam down a bit....

I like your thinking

-

kipper

posted on 22/1/13 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
road closure

How about Auto 66 motor club????? they close the road at Scarborough for the road races
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

matt_gsxr

posted on 22/1/13 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Is this your relevant council?

Seems like they have some rules.

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3252

owelly

posted on 22/1/13 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Good find and in a link off a link on that page is a list of the current TROs. There is one for the A169 was issued and cancelled two hours after the road reopened!!

jps

posted on 22/1/13 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I could be wrong but i think police can control traffic but not shut a road. Subtle difference. I think police probably have specific powers relying to crime scenes which will be more far reaching than roads alone, but most likely the general public tend to mainly come across that on roads more than anywhere else.

I think that councils are most likely to be the main agency who 'close roads', although there will be specific legal abilities for other agencies to do so in certain locations, eg there is a road in my village that mod close, with gates, when they are live firing on the ranges, similarly the legislation which made the Birmingham SuperPrix possible...

Interestingly police powers to control traffic can be accredited to other agencies, hence in Essex it is possible to practically 'close roads' for cycle racing, although in reality it is not a closed road, just controlled traffic...

[Edited on 22/1/13 by jps]

jps

posted on 22/1/13 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Fylingdales?
Call the Mod Plods

MOD police don't have jurisdiction over civvies do they?

owelly

posted on 22/1/13 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
The MoD Plod have the same powers as civvy plod and it depends on their CO or other gadgy in charge if they're allowed off camp to play. It could be said that they have more powers as most of them have big guns tucked under their arms or strapped to their sides!

It appears that the Highways Authority allow the contractors to close the roads and then sometimes issue a TRO in retrospect....

catman

posted on 22/1/13 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
we do quite a bit of tree felling on highway verges. I am lead to believe it depends on the class of roads as to who can close them and for how long. you can close a B road for up to 5 mins any longer and it would cause problems to emergency services

Ed

caged supersix
Carbon/GRP
210 bhp silvertop
190 lbft

Ninehigh

posted on 22/1/13 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Interestingly police powers to control traffic can be accredited to other agencies, hence in Essex it is possible to practically 'close roads' for cycle racing, although in reality it is not a closed road, just controlled traffic...

I'd have thought most of the closures would come under this

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.