Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: So I wanna build a batmobile....
meathead316

posted on 10/3/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
So I wanna build a batmobile....

Yes you read it right, and yes this thread probanly should be in the mad house section!

Basically I want to build a batmobile similar to the one in the 89 Keaton movie, but no where near as big!

But...

I dont want to/cant build a car from scratch.

Instead I want to use either a finished/almost finished (road worthy) kit car, a mazda mx5 (mk 1 or 2) or a bmw z3 as a base for it.

I preferably wanna use an mx5 as they are cheap as chips! so lets base this on that, this is my plan:

- Get mx5
- make arches/wheel wells bigger to accomodate tyres on the fron of 28" diameter and 32" diameter on the rear (yes they are big)
- remove windsceen and frame
- build batmobile body AROUND existing one
- new headlights, tail lights, mirrors
- reloacte fuel cap
- windscreen is now a sliding canopy with perspex window
- custom wipers

here is an image to help illustarte my plan:

Possible problems I could face

- wheels wont fit without tampering with structural stuff
- engine/tranmission wont like bigger wheels...
- the dreaded legal tests O_O

Your thoughts

p.s.

no im not trolling
no im not 12 years old
yes i am serious!

designer

posted on 10/3/13 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Somebody sells a fibreglass body, both full size and kids size. Have seen them advertised.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 10/3/13 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say that the Keaton bat mobile is my favourite of all the movie cars. But if you try to build one from a mx5 it just won't look right. The wheel base is just to short by about ten foot. You'll end up spending hours of your time building something that looks a bit like a squashed batmobile that people will laugh at. You should do it right or not at all. Just my 2p worth of course. Sometimes full size body kits do come up on eBay.
cloudy

posted on 10/3/13 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
If it helps AFAIK perspex is not legal for the forward vision portion of the windscreen - you would need glass

www.warnercars.com

iank

posted on 10/3/13 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Z-cars built one

and http://blip.tv/zcars-uk-performance-engineering/batmobile-replica-made-from-scratch-6461836

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

meathead316

posted on 10/3/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies

I have seen the small kit and the big ones, neither of which interests me as building the body will be the best bit!

The keaton BM is by far the best, and i intend to base mine on it, not copy it exactly.

Windscreen has to be glass.... Well thats a problem, i can bend and cut perspex easy, but glass... Ideas?

Anyone able to clarify my wheel problem?

Ninehigh

posted on 10/3/13 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see there being much of a problem with using the original suspension, but I can see that you'd have to reposition it and a large headache to go with it

meathead316

posted on 10/3/13 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Reposition suspension? Can u please explain why
morcus

posted on 10/3/13 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said, would you not be better starting with a bigger car? What you really want is Le Baron or something simillar.

The Tv Batmobile was better, as proved HERE.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Ninehigh

posted on 10/3/13 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by meathead316
Reposition suspension? Can u please explain why

I just get a feeling you'll need to move it inward or outward to account for the bigger wheels

meathead316

posted on 10/3/13 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Move in or out to account for bigger wheels, please elaborate

The reason i picked these donor cars is: they are relitivly cheap, the proportions (not dimensions) are correct. By that i mean i can have the windscreen positioned at the centre of the wheelbase.

With standard cars the driving position is too close to the front wheels to get the desired look.

Any idea on how i can get custom glass bits made?

Ninehigh

posted on 10/3/13 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
I don't really have anything to elaborate on, I just thought there might be a proportion issue, maybe something like the suspension's designed for 16 inch wheels and putting 32's on will mess up the proportion. Really it's just something pulled out of my backside, a gut feeling, nothing more

Daddylonglegs

posted on 11/3/13 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus

That video reminds me, must get the car washed

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

BenB

posted on 11/3/13 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
The good thing with your plan is that the chassis / drivetrain etc is maintained so it's really just adding the bodywork- a bit like those fugly AudiTT replicas based on a Metro a few years back that didn't need SVAing as a result. Not sure whether this has changed though with the switch to IVA.
jossey

posted on 11/3/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Ford cougar?

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
perksy

posted on 11/3/13 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the wheelbase will be too short if you use an MX5 ?
Why not go for something bigger ?

There's going to be a lot of work involved to make this look right, if it turns out well it'll look great but if it doesn't

trextr7monkey

posted on 11/3/13 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Capri?
How about a kit that has a ladder type chassis and then re body it?
Much more scope for extending that way
just my 2p
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Confused but excited.

posted on 11/3/13 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
As others have said, would you not be better starting with a bigger car? What you really want is Le Baron or something simillar.

Original Barris car was waaay better and the bit that those young Batmobile 'experts' forgot to mention, was that the '66 Barris car also had a 750bhp Turboniques gas turbine driving into the back of the diff, as well as the fuel injected mill diving in from the front. That car moved back in the day!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

meathead316

posted on 11/3/13 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies

Apoarently there are two type of test, one for new cars, and one for already registered but now modified cars, and from what ive read the latter is a lot more strict. Anyone know more?

Ive looked at various donor cars, and have been advised to use one with a seperate body and chassis.
Problem is the driving position need to be just in front of the rear wheels...

So, say i got a car that fits the bill, how (lets say a kit car) how hard a job would it be to extend the chassis si that the front wheels are two foot further forward?

Some other points of concern:

- i want it to look similar to the 89 batmobile, the headlights are very low down... Problem?
- windscreen needs to be glass... Er yeah, where would i even start...

As for the 89 vs 66 thing, i think its just down to personal taste, the 66 is much more practical as a car, and as is would probably win a race. But, the 89 just looks so badass, and with such a long hood a complete nutter could install two v8s giving it masses ammounts of power.

blakep82

posted on 11/3/13 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding the mention above about changing suspension points, if your doubling the diameter of the wheel, to make it easy for my maths, say from a 15" wheel to a 30" the centre of the wheel will be 7.5" higher than before, and so your ride height will go up by the same. You'd struggle to lower the car that much on the standard suspension, so your mountings will need to move up instead. Thats just the start of it... diff and the rest of the rear axle would change too.

Car just getting a new body on it doesnt need an iva test, so if you took an mx5, all standard and dropped a new body on, thats fine
Any car, kit or standard, that has its chassis modified, either by lengthening a kit car, or cutting the tunnel out of a production car to change from fwd to rwd for example, or lengthening, or moving suspension points, needs to go through iva

You need to go through iva then, you'd be as well building a complete new custom chassis for it, with all the seating, suspension etc all in the right place from the start. Get an mx5 for the running gear, engine, gearbox, rear axle, cooling system, electrics, steering and front uprights and brakes, use it as a donor. You could use most of it to get going.

DO IT! I need to see this done

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

meathead316

posted on 11/3/13 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Very informative post, thank you

Im liking the no test idea.

So say i get an mx5 whats the biggest wheels i can fit on it with no modification and no problems? (Rolled arches are ok)

So if i had my mx5, 25" wheels for example, bodykit, new lights that wouldnt need a test?

But what about me chopping off the windscreen and frame and fitting a sliding canopy?

clairetoo

posted on 11/3/13 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Very informative post, thank you

Im liking the no test idea.

So say i get an mx5 whats the biggest wheels i can fit on it with no modification and no problems? (Rolled arches are ok)

So if i had my mx5, 25" wheels for example, bodykit, new lights that wouldnt need a test?

But what about me chopping off the windscreen and frame and fitting a sliding canopy?

DONK ..........

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

meathead316

posted on 11/3/13 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Eh???
blakep82

posted on 11/3/13 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well, in theory, no you wouldnt need a test for, lets just call it a change of wheels, and the rest

But in practice, you'd need to cut away a lot of body and chassis to get wheels that size to fit, and even more to get the front wheels to steer.

Don't know mx5s very well, but I suspect 17" wheels will be about the biggest you'll get without cutting anything away.
Clairetoo is the mx5 mentalist on here, have a look at her V6 mod she did

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

clairetoo

posted on 11/3/13 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Eh???

DONK.........

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.