Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Denford viceroy lathe value?
marco

posted on 21/11/13 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Denford viceroy lathe value?

Any ideas what I would be paying for a Denford viceroy TDS1 3ph with gearbox, complete with metric and imperial dials, light, coolant pump centre and tools and manual.
Also has variable speed phase convertor.

I should say I am off to view one and didn't want to pay over the odds..

[Edited on 21/11/13 by marco]

rf900rush

posted on 21/11/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I have recently got one of these but the very basic version.
Only paid £150 , but it was a friends dad's.

Seen similar on ebay for about £300

For some reason they sell for less than they should be worth.
May be it's not a well know model.

Phase converter with speed control is going to make it worth more plus having metric and thread cutting.

I've used mine a few times now and so far very pleased with it's performance.
Just wish it had a 1" spindle bore.

http://www.ebay.co.uk /itm/Viceroy-Metal-Working-Lathe-/121217182116?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item1c391b69a4

[Edited on 21/11/13 by rf900rush]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marco

posted on 21/11/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks, sounds like this seller has it very much over priced based on what you paid..
big_wasa

posted on 21/11/13 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Like other brands, the better the spec the more its worth. the basic educator spec didn't have screw cutting ect and is worth £300 even with a 3 phase motor.

A tds with metric screw cutting and an invertor complete with basic accessories such as 3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate and fixed /travelling steadies if in good all round condition is easy a £500+ investment.

Infact I am looking for one and would be happy to pay £650 for such a machine that was local.

There was three from a school on ebay. They where pulled from sale but the start price was £300. They where the base spec and 3 phase and 400 miles away from me.

There is one from a school on here. Again 3 phase and base spec with NO chuck or accessories and its £300 and 300 miles away.

Mr rush got a bargain.

Ive been out bid on four of five on ebay now. Some have fetched four figures

what price are they asking ? if you don't mind me asking

[Edited on 21/11/13 by big_wasa]

Wadders

posted on 21/11/13 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Might not bother you, but i don't think Denfords have a gap bed, which can be a very useful addition when
messing with car sized stuff.

Al.

marco

posted on 21/11/13 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think this price is by any means set in stone but 900 was mentioned. Based on your comments I am thinking 700 would be a fair price my way?
Oh its only 20 miles from me.

big_wasa

posted on 21/11/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Condition is king, any extras you can get with it will make it feel better value. Indexable cutting tools and even of cuts of brass and alloy come in very handy.

I had to sell my old English Atlas lathe to be able to build my chassis. Nearly a hundred years old but was in fantastic condition.

Wadders

posted on 21/11/13 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
£900 seems pretty steep TBH. If your in no particular rush, i will be selling a well tooled Harrison L5A in the near future, has
full screw cutting gearbox, 3 & 4 jaw chucks, faceplate, travelling and fixed steadies, 4 way tool post and a slotted boring table.
Also has gap bed and powered cross slide. Bit beefier than the Denford, but not stupid big.

Crap photo, as its in a container at the moment covered in crap.

Al
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 21/11/13 by Wadders]

marco

posted on 21/11/13 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I went and had a look at the lathe more out of interest on whether there was a deal to be had. The guy gave the game away about how much he paid 8 years ago and he's looking to get all his money back now,,,

Thanks for the offer Wadders, to be blunt having seen what's around I'm going to budget around 500ish for one, as I know it won't get a huge ammount of use..

big_wasa

posted on 21/11/13 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
A good English lathe is an investment. Buy well and you wont loose your money. Its not like there making any more. 10 years ago I was swapping and changing them regally for a couple of hundred quid.

The L5 is a capable machine but being beefier = harder to transport

Wadders

posted on 21/11/13 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Originally posted by big_wasa

The L5 is a capable machine but being beefier = harder to transport

True but they're not so bad, brought mine home in the back of a van after winching it up two planks

Agree about prices, at one time no one wanted 3phase machines, and many ended up getting scrapped but inverters are so cheap now prices are definitely on the up.

amalyos

posted on 21/11/13 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought a 1968 Viceroy lathe, and paid £500. I looked and bid on loads on ebay, but they all went for over £500, the ones that were a little cheaper, were all a 3-4 hour drive for me (up north), so not worth the time and fuel. The one I bought was 5 miles from my house

Don't be afraid to buy and old English lathe, they're well built.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

plentywahalla

posted on 21/11/13 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I sold a Viceroy lathe just like that about 5 years ago on eBay for £750. It did have a screw cutting gearbox and a power cross feed as well, and it was single phase.

I wish I had never sold it. From memory the throw was about 11 inch and it didn't have a gap bed. I wanted one a bit bigger, but I have failed to find a better machine to replace it.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

Wadders

posted on 22/11/13 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Boxford for sale on home workshop £500 Newcastle ntdwm might be of interest to the op

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk

[Edited on 22/11/13 by Wadders]

big_wasa

posted on 24/11/13 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
B@ll@x just been out bid on yet another. I even wasted the petrol going to view it.

Snipped with less than a second to go at just shy of a thousand quid

Wadders

posted on 27/11/13 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Now seems to have been reduced to £350, someone grab it quick...

Originally posted by Wadders
Boxford for sale on home workshop £500 Newcastle ntdwm might be of interest to the op

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk

[Edited on 22/11/13 by Wadders]

coozer

posted on 28/11/13 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I got my Harrison from Durham 6th form college, paid £450 for it, no tooling but well looked after by the students.

Health and safety put paid to it, they are now teaching with a cnc lathe with full guards over it... DOH!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.