Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Leaking Raceline Sump
neilp1

posted on 16/3/14 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Leaking Raceline Sump

I have fitted a Duratec Raceline sump but it is leaking. This is the 2nd time I have fitted this due to leaking first time round. It seems to be leaking from the same place on the joint just above the dipstick. I have used Ford sealant both times and this time it did not leak for over 4 weeks.

Anyone else had this problem, or am I just doing something wrong??

Neil

pjay

posted on 16/3/14 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Fitted three without problem.

Do you have any pictures of the sealant beads, the easiest one I can find is from my blog but it doesn't show all of the block:

Link

Picture

[Edited on 16/3/14 by pjay]

Mr C

posted on 16/3/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
It may be worth checking that you have the correct lenght of bolt for the hole behind the dipstick hole. If I remember correctly there should be two bolts that are slightly longer than the others to take up the slightly thicker casting (25mm insted of 20mm) . Disapointingly these were not supplied with my sump, so I bought some, as the 20mm bolts were too short to grip the block threads and wouldn't torque up correctly.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

neilp1

posted on 17/3/14 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr C
It may be worth checking that you have the correct lenght of bolt for the hole behind the dipstick hole. If I remember correctly there should be two bolts that are slightly longer than the others to take up the slightly thicker casting (25mm insted of 20mm) . Disapointingly these were not supplied with my sump, so I bought some, as the 20mm bolts were too short to grip the block threads and wouldn't torque up correctly.

I have the correct bolts here, but like you say I was not supplied these either.

Cheers,
Neil

neilp1

posted on 17/3/14 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
pjay,
I have not got a picture of the sealant beads, but I did not do the same as you. In the picture I have roughly drawn in red where I applied the sealant trying to keep it on the inside of the bolts. Looking at yours it looks like I'll be removing the sump and re-sealing it, but I'll be doing it with the engine in the car as I don't want to take the engine back out.

Description
Description

Cheers,

Neil

pjay

posted on 17/3/14 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
The beading in the picture is as in the Raceline instructions I have.

Sorry to hear that - swine of a job to do in the car.

[Edited on 17/3/14 by pjay]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.