Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 24/12/14 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
LED House Lamps - Electrician Help Required

I have some 12v lamps which are beneath the head height cupboards in my study to light up my desk.
They were halogen orange light, and I've now bought some 12v LED Cool White bulbs. There are 3 lamps in total all on the same transformer.

When I plug the first LED bulb into it's holder (with 2 other halogen lamps still in situ) the bulb is fine and works lovely - nice and bright.
When I plug the second LED bulb into it's holder (1 LED and 1 Halogen) both LED lights work lovely.
When I plug the third LED bulb into it's holder (3 LED) all lights are dim, and the transformer is screaming blue murder !

Why ?

Even if I remove 2 bulbs from the circuit, so there's only 1 LED bulb illuminated it's still dim and the transformer is screaming.

Do I need to put a resister in the circuit somewhere ?

Why is nothing ever simple ??

ragindave

posted on 24/12/14 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hello risk of fire you need a specific type of transformer for leds
TrophyJem

posted on 24/12/14 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Its because the transformer you currently have requires a minimum load to operate correctly. The LED bulbs hardly draw any power so the minimum load requirement isn't met.
New transformer time I'm afraid.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 24/12/14 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Change the transformer... don't mess about its you and your families life in your hands

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Matt21

posted on 24/12/14 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
a little bit OT.... but cracking sig pic ben!
Agriv8

posted on 24/12/14 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem the proper solution was an led transformer from screwfix.

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Angel Acevedo

posted on 25/12/14 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Change the transformer... don't mess about its you and your families life in your hands

Oh what a great way to increase mi post count! !
Indeed. .. merry Christmas to all locosters...
Pitty that some will receive this kind of late. ..

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/12/14 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
yeah I'm a huge fan now of the LED house lights and have a few different types. Recently I got down light 7 watt LED's that are comparable with 50 watt halogens and can be dimmed, however they draw so little current my dimmer doesn't work so need to get another type suitable for them. Also got some led filament bulbs which look just like old fashioned bulbs when on and are very bright but only draw 6 watts for 60 watt output, fab

hopefully all this will drive down the led car lights and we'll never have to change a light bulb again

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 25/12/14 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Me being tight - I've only changed all these bulbs in the house so I don't moan like my father did at me when my kids leave their bedroom lights on.
How many times have we found ourselves shouting at the kids "it's like Blackpool illuminations up here!!"

I've even put PIR switches on their bathrooms so they don't leave the lights on... Genius !!

coozer

posted on 25/12/14 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Get rid of the transformer and go for 240v gu10 LEDs.

I had one in the kitchen and was concerned how hot the thing got, changed to gu10 halogens and they where very hot. Just changed to LEDs and they run cool enough to put your hand over them!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

David Jenkins

posted on 25/12/14 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
I replaced the six GU10 tungsten downlighters in my kitchen over to 7W LED ones - quite expensive, but at least I don't have to change at least one bulb once a month! They are also at least as bright as the old ones - so bright that it hurts to look directly at them. They still get warm - too hot to touch after a while - but nowhere near as hot as the tungsten ones.

The next step is to change the fluorescent fittings under the cabinets for LED ones - replacement tubes are hard to find, and usually involve mail order to get the right ones. Three fittings now take twice as much power as the LED downlighters! Can anyone recommend a good type of LED under-cabinet fitting? There are so many, and many are quite expensive; though I don't mind paying the money if they'll do the job for quite a few years.

stevebubs

posted on 25/12/14 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Swapped out my Gu10 downlighters for MR16s due to heat buildup and continual blowing of bulbs around 12-13 years ago.

Just swapped those MR16 transformers back out for new Gu10 connectors and 4w LED bulbs; not looking back; way brighter than the old 20W halogen and run much cooler...

..make sure you get the wide angle versions, though - some have a beam pattern of around 30 degrees or so which gives a very narrow field of light (think spotlight); the ones I bought are 120..

stevebubs

posted on 25/12/14 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
PS Either bin the transformer and go Gu10 or go get a proper LED transformer.
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 26/12/14 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
I've ordered an LED transformer so hopefully this should fix my problem
talkingcars

posted on 26/12/14 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
Me being tight - I've only changed all these bulbs in the house so I don't moan like my father did at me when my kids leave their bedroom lights on.
How many times have we found ourselves shouting at the kids "it's like Blackpool illuminations up here!!"

I've even put PIR switches on their bathrooms so they don't leave the lights on... Genius !!

My wife is as bad, unless there are daylight levels of lighting in the room the lights go on, and stay on.
Best one is the utility room, they walk past the fridge to turn the light on to find the fridge door to open it for the fridge light to come on...............

I have considered PIR's in some rooms.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.