Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Coilpack + HT Leads
Tatey

posted on 9/5/15 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec Coilpack + HT Leads

I've got my IVA in 3 weeks time on my 1.8 silvertop zetec running on ZX6R carbs and megajolt. I have an occasional misfire on the engine so have decided to chuck some money at the engine and replace plugs, leads and coilpack.

On doing some digging it looks like ford changed from a 1.3mm spark plug gap to 1.0mm as they were having issues with HT leads breaking down. I pulled the plugs from my engine to find they were the old style PTR5A-13 plugs, they aren't in bad condition but thought it wouldn't hurt to put some new ones in to give it a bit of a refresh. So I've ordered some NGK PTR5A-10 plugs.

Next on the list is HT leads (I think they may be the original leads that came with the engine so could do with a new set), after doing some reading a lot of the Ford boys recommend getting genuine Ford HT leads as the aftermarket ones tend to break down quite quickly and cause more problems than they solve. So I rang up ford and they want £120 for a set HT leads. On looking on ebay you can get brand new set of genuine Ford (Motorcraft) HT leads for £45 delivered, however they are the newer style HT leads without the clips on the coil pack.

So my question is, is the bolt pattern/coil pack plug for the newer style (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181318806159) the same as the earlier clip on style coil pack? Or will I require a new plug end/mounting bracket?

[Edited on 9/5/15 by Tatey]

Tatey

posted on 10/5/15 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone with a blacktop engine measure the bolt spacing of their newer style coil pack? I just want to make sure it fits before spending £100 on a new coil pack and ht leads.
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/5/15 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Bolt pattern should be the same but the connector plug maybe different .
big_wasa

posted on 10/5/15 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
The electrical connection is the same for both. The black top coil will bolt to the silver top bracket but not the other way around.

Edit I've been out to the garage and stripped them both of to show you.

hope that helps.

[Edited on 10/5/15 by big_wasa]

Tatey

posted on 10/5/15 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks big wasa! That's a massive help, just bought the new bits and looking forward to seeing if it sorts my misfire out!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.