Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cheap AC compressor replacement ?
mcerd1

posted on 19/9/22 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
cheap AC compressor replacement ?

My tin-tops had a bit of a rattle for a while thats been getting gradually worse - I was hoping it'd just be a heat shield, but no luck
when I finally got a proper chance to get underneath it turns out its the AC compressor - rattling like a bag of spanners

so while I've 'solved' the issue for now (by taking the belt off) I'd rather sort it properly - but I'm finding prices anywhere from £150 to over £400
or I seem to be able to get scrapyard units at £25-£40 (its a 1.8 duratec in a C-max)

AC is one area I've never dealt with before now and I don't want to be messing about with unreliable aftermarket rubbish parts
(I've got my brother offering to do the empty / refill at his work for free - but I won't get more than a couple of go's at it)
and the car isn't worth enough to spend top dollar on new genuine parts...

so any recommendations on brands / where to buy / any other tips & tricks?

-

mark chandler

posted on 19/9/22 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I dropped a second hand (factory original) one on my car years ago and it’s been fine, I did drain all the old oil out the system including flushing it through, same for the new/old pump and it’s been fine - it will need a new dryer.

If it’s clanking you will need to do this whatever pump you put in.

ReMan

posted on 20/9/22 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Its often the clutch that rattles not the pump itself
Assuming its still working. And its likely you can remove, check, lube, replace this without disconnecting the gas side

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

coyoteboy

posted on 20/9/22 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Its often the clutch that rattles not the pump itself
Assuming its still working. And its likely you can remove, check, lube, replace this without disconnecting the gas side

This. It was my plan until I left it so long the pump grenades from the heat input too.

nick205

posted on 20/9/22 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Tin top AC's a bugger. Great when it's working, but always seems to be £££ to fix when it develops a fault. Plus having to pay people with the right kit and skills to empty/re-charge it with gas.

On my last car (VW Passat) it thankfully never developed a fault. A re-gas every 5-6 years seemed to keep it running good a icy cold.

I'd be hesitant to fit a scrapyard sourced AC unit for my own distrust of it's longevity and potentially having to payout again to re-fix.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.