Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carpark ding repair
David Jenkins

posted on 2/12/22 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Carpark ding repair

Some nice kind people have left a couple of marks on my tin-top while it has been parked - the first was some time ago, when someone scuffed the corner of my rear bumper. Not a significant mark and, as the bumper is plastic I wasn't too concerned (a 'fix later' kind of job).

Yesterday I spotted that some kind person has chipped the paint on my rear passenger door - no dent, just a chip in the paint. They probably opened a car door into it. This one I do want to fix as there's the risk of rust.

So my question is - are those services like ChipsAway any good? It's silver paint, and metallic is never easy to match. The car's only 2-and-a-bit years old, so I want a decent job done.

I know that if I take it to a body-shop they'll want to do a whole panel, which will not be cheap!

So - any helpful suggestions?

mark chandler

posted on 2/12/22 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I would try and touch it in as not dented, have a look at ‘detailing world’ for advice on how to best do this. Better a discoloured spot than mismatched panel repair.

Very annoying when this happens

Sanzomat

posted on 2/12/22 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
If its pretty small you might find a T-Cut Scratch Magic pen will work for you. I bought one a few years back on the offchance it would work and it actually did which surprised me. It goes on clear and claims to refract the adjacent colour through it to hide the mark. It also seals the chip so prevents rust forming. I used it on a few small chips and hey presto the chip does almost vanish. As good as a matching colour touch in paint anyway but a little proud of the surrounding paint so still visible if you look closely.
coyoteboy

posted on 4/12/22 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen them do invisible repairs to high fleck metallic green. But I'm sure there's some morons that can't match flat white.

quinnj3

posted on 5/12/22 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Last year a stone landed badly on my passenger door on the horizontal bit before the window. Very annoying. That left a small dent and paint chipped. I paid a dent repair guy to take the dent out then filled in the chip with paint myself. It is noticeable but similarly it would be worse if the panel was painted and ended up mismatched.

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

coyoteboy

posted on 5/12/22 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I can only assume some paint matchers are a bit useless. Everything I've seen done has been perfectly matched. Even my coloured fleck metallic black.

ReMan

posted on 5/12/22 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I can only assume some paint matchers are a bit useless. Everything I've seen done has been perfectly matched. Even my coloured fleck metallic black.

Yes thats worrying isn't it!
Given that I bought a bottle of silver touch up paint of ebay for my Porsche and with some patience, wet and dry cocktail sticks and a buffing machine you can't see where they were!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.