Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Twin Carb setup on a Zetec
John Watts

posted on 30/12/05 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Twin Carb setup on a Zetec

Hi, I'm fairly new to this game and still trying to figure out what I am sure are some of the basics.

My question is this. Is it possible to fit a twin carb setup to a zetec and get it through the emissions test on the SVA? (If this question is in the wrong area, I apologise)

As I understood it, to get more modern engines through (post 7/95) they need a cat and some form of fuel injection to meet the stricter criteria. Are those people using zetec and carbs using engines from prior to this date or am I wrong in my assumptions?

Many thanks,

zetec

posted on 30/12/05 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
You are correct. Using carbs and a cat can in theory be done but I suspect is a lot of work and the cost of the cat and the chance of knackering it with an incorrect mixture is not worth it.

Get a pre 95 engine and fit carbs or throttle bodies. I was unsure about injection at first but in the long run it is easier to get good results, and the cost of webers on the up and throttle bodies on the down it is a real option.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Danozeman

posted on 31/12/05 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
AS zetec says get a pre 95 engine so no need for a cat and less stricter emissions test. You will need to prove the age of the engine. Fords can tell you that.

AS for the carbs look at the bike carbs option. They are cheap as chips but the manifolds are pricey. Theres been a few on abay recently. Or you can use the Focus ST170 manifold which are 120 quid ish new from ford.

Failing that throttle bodies and megasquirt and spark to run it if your on a budget.

My zetec is june 94 running bike carbs on bogg bros manifold with megajolt for ign. Emissions should be easy ish to set up.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

killer

posted on 31/12/05 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Injection

Instead of wasting all that money on carb set ups.... why not just run with the fuel injection... I know it does not pump out as much power as a set of Weber 45s but it leaves the very easy to dirve and running super smooth. I had carbs, then changed the engine to Zetec and just wired the fuel injection for budget reasons. It leaves the car easy to drive....!
stevebubs

posted on 2/1/06 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by killer
Instead of wasting all that money on carb set ups.... why not just run with the fuel injection... I know it does not pump out as much power as a set of Weber 45s but it leaves the very easy to dirve and running super smooth. I had carbs, then changed the engine to Zetec and just wired the fuel injection for budget reasons. It leaves the car easy to drive....!

Ahem - the standard injection won't kick out as much as twin 45s but a well setup ITB injection will arguably kick out more....

John Watts

posted on 3/1/06 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Pardon my ignorance but what is 'ITB injection'?
Schrodinger

posted on 3/1/06 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I would guess Individual Throttle Bodies.
And I would agree that they will give as much if not more power but more importantly IMHO will give it much more progressivley and smoothly than carbs.
Once Mapped TBs with a good ECU are much less likely to give you problems as there is very little to wear unlike on twib carbs which frequently need retuning.

regards

Keith
Suffolk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.