Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Saddam is Dead
mistergrumpy

posted on 30/12/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Saddam is Dead

Hung at dawn. I've never known anything like it to happen before and I wonder what the mood is in Iraq and with the troops. I've served there last year and from talking to the locals they really didn't like him but for someone to go and hang him, summat just doesn't sit right in my head with it, why do it and why hanging?Just makes the people doing it comparable to him. I dare say the Americans had a big part to play in this which annoys me because they should butt out. But..I wonder who's next to step into his shoes. Any opinions on all this?

dilley

posted on 30/12/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
possible lookalike?
mark chandler

posted on 30/12/06 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I gather that it was the Iraq court that passed sentance and this is the standard punishment, our laws do not apply !

If they strung him by the neck and left him to dangle and choke that would not be harsh enough in my opinion, I,m not for capital punishment but he is an exception !

Surrey Dave

posted on 30/12/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
It's interesting that you served out there which could polarise your opinion somewhat , and yet you still don't feel comfortable with the execution.

Even though I accept that he has carried out barbaric deeds , and caused a lot of trouble worldwide.

I agree with you that I feel uneasy being part of the world at large who are condoning this execution.

Doesn't fit in with our season of good will really.

He could have been kept jailed forever and made answerable for everything he perpetrated.

He will now probably be seen as a martyr in some peoples eyes.

Also you (mistergrumpy) may know more than most of us but I have a deep mistrust of any information the USA give us , Iraq has a lot of oil. Also thus far no weapons of mass destruction have been found.

foskid

posted on 30/12/06 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Bush,his lapdog and all the bas***ds making money out of this whole fiasco should go the same way.
stevec

posted on 30/12/06 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
The Americans worry me, Not the people but the idiots that rule them,Much like our own idiots. This hanging "deserved IMO"will just make the git a martyr, There will be some big trouble over there very soon I think. More worrying is what may happen here.
Steve.

oliwb

posted on 30/12/06 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
The whole thing is a complete farce in my mind...It was supposed to be an Iraqi court and judge but it smells very american to me. Whilst I'm not saying he didn't deserve it (as he did ubelievably inhumane things) he was the only person that seemed able to keep the Iraqi's in check. They have always been a country of war-ing tribes and always will be untill they all decide they've had enough fighting and live in harmony (don't forget in the scheme of things we were the same not so long ago with the french!) Iraq is a complete mess....as long as we're there they pretty much all fight us and as soon as we leave they'll start fighting each other again until a sadam replacment comes along to scarfe them all back into line. I think we should be out but we can't very well leave the country in disarray! Besides theres too much oil there for the americans to leave! Oli.

PS.
I know very little about the situation this is only MY OPINION!

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
goodall

posted on 30/12/06 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
one mans terroist is an other mans freedom fighter, or in this case one mans dictator is an other mans war leader

it was very american to have him sentanced to death. is the death plenty still in place here for terason or not?

thunderace

posted on 30/12/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
sadam kills in 20 years 3000
us + gb kill 3,000,000
who should we he hanging
and now look what a mess we made my best pal is a tank comander over there he calls the place the real hell.

richard thomas

posted on 30/12/06 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
The thing is, he was tried under Iraqi law and punished accordingly.

Whether we agree with it or not is neither here or there.

Hangings, beheadings, stonings and the like are not exactly uncommon in that part of the world....

Odds on the Yanks had a lot to do with influencing the trial outcome.

It's easy to find some self comfort by trying to distance ourselves from it, as it wouldn't happen in this country. Unfortunately much of the rest of the world is a savage place, always has been and most likely always will be - it's just that a lot of people in this country don't seem to ( or want to ) realise that and like to think that we can all live in peacefull harmony and eat lentils. We Brits like to think we are civillised because we don't burn witches or hunt foxes any more...wasn't so long ago though!!

JUST MY OPINION - absolutely no offence meant to anyone!!!

zxrlocost

posted on 30/12/06 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
good riddance

if they followed on with half the scum bags over here aswell

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

stevec

posted on 30/12/06 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
good riddance

if they followed on with half the scum bags over here aswell

Yeah, Hang all Chavs first,

goodall

posted on 30/12/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
can still fox hunt here. its not that the rest of the world ain't civilised its that they don't have the money but if they did have money we would be at the bottom of the pile. were can i see the video of it happening?
mistergrumpy

posted on 30/12/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah if I remember rightly it was the Iraqi's that sentenced him so I suppose thats their way. I would've rather kept him alive like some on here to avoid that martyrdom and to make him think about what he did, the hard way. Afterall, thats what we did with Myra Hindley wasn't it? The place isn't what I'd call real hell but it certainly changes your look on things and people. I still think the Americans are far too involved and bring trouble just by their presence and thats from my experiences. I'm glad to see that no ones critisizing others opinions though as I really do think that everybodies' opinions count in matters like this. I'm just a big hippy at heart But a little Hitler at work wit the chavs!
Erm, I though fox hunting was banned and thus you can't do it?

[Edited on 30/12/06 by mistergrumpy]

scotty g

posted on 30/12/06 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
you can no longer hunt foxes with hounds.
You can still go out and shoot them with a bally great gun though

goodall

posted on 30/12/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
no in n.ireland we can still hunt with hounds, not that i care because i don't fox hunt but my aunt does
Coose

posted on 30/12/06 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
It's ironic that he was executed due to laws that he imposed himself, almost 40 years ago!

I'm quite mixed about it.....

Spin 'er off Well...

omega 24 v6

posted on 30/12/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad it's over. I've been waiting for a plane load of hijacked hostages to be used as a bargaining tool for his release. Now he's gone that's not gonna happen (not for his release anyhow). IMHO it was right but there will be repercussions no doubt.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Hellfire

posted on 30/12/06 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
As already stated - he did nasty things to his fellowmen. However, he will be treated as a martyr, the US Troops will be target practise and we will suffer repercussions.

& it also rests very uneasy with me too... lets face it at least 3 prosecuting lawyers were killed during his trial. Nothing to do with him?

Personally speaking - hanging is too quick, he should have been used as a lab rat for terminal diseases.

Steve

macnab

posted on 30/12/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
what ever happened to all those saddam look alikes??? there were loads, saw a film of them at the beach looked like ten at least...

mistergrumpy

posted on 30/12/06 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
All been hung by mistake? Remember the amount of paediatric staff and podiatrists(big words, hope they're right) getting battered when that newspaper (daily mirror?) printed paedophile names.

craig1410

posted on 31/12/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Well FWIW I think the whole trial was a waste of time because the outcome was pre-determined. When the American's first found him they should have just left him in his hole in the ground and rolled in a couple of grenades - would have saved a lot of time and expense...

Don't get me wrong here though, I agree 100% that America (or the American Govt anyway) have grown way too big for their boots and Britain needs a much stronger government to keep them in check. I hope things will improve once Bush Jnr has left office as I can't remember feeling as uneasy when Clinton, Bush Snr or Reagan were in power. I can only imagine how much the Iraqi's must hate Bush when people in the western world and even his own country think he is nothing but an egotistical thug.

Craig.

Peteff

posted on 31/12/06 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Bush snr started it.

BBC news item puts a lot of it into perspective. Sadam was looked on as an ally at one time.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

spunky

posted on 31/12/06 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
The speed at which the sentence was passed and carried out was quite surprising, but the court did say he would hang before the new year after passing sentence. I think death sentence was inevitable as he was tried under Iraqi law and preferable to imprisonment. As someone has already posted, if he was in a cell, there will always be followers using extreme measures to try and get him released.

Fact is, he was a very bad man, capable of unspeakable evil, even within his own family, but the fear he created within Iraq had the effect of keeping the warring tribes in check to an extent.

As for our (allied forces) part in this. While the UN inspectors were allowed in (early 90's) they did find WMD in the form of tons of Anthrax, nerve gas, and stockpiled missiles. They were hauling hundreds of missiles out of the river where they had been hidden. It was around this time that Saddam appeared at a summit showing off components he was smuggling into his country to build up a nuclear weapons program.
Make no mistake, the guy had an agenda, he wanted nuclear weapons and he would have got them if he was left to his own devices.
You think the crackpot in N Korea is a concern, Iraq under Saddams rule would unleash nukes without hesitation.

Just spare a thought for the troops out there that will have to deal with the backlash.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

Aboardman

posted on 31/12/06 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
just seen the video on the net.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.