Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: help required from all
doughie

posted on 4/1/07 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
help required from all

seems to me that this forum is 'storming' at the moment... what has changed?

do members have to agree to a code of conduct about how they use this valuable site? and what are the appropriate consequences?

what will we have to agree to to ensure the true purpose of this site shines through? (has it ever really stopped?)

soooooooooooo many questions, but it seems to me we can sort it

p.s. oh, will someone email snoopy to ask him to read this poll!!!

[Edited on 4/1/07 by doughie]

doughie

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
3 minutes
3 votes!!!!

cummon, leave your opinion to make this poll carry some weight...

Jon Ison

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I'm not sure I would want too go down the road of moderators, can cause more problems than they solve at times.

Just an opinion.

RazMan

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
It occurs to me that 99% of the people here are fine, upstanding individuals who enter the forum in the spirit that was intended when starting the whole thing in the first place.
Sadly there are a few individuals who don't know when to back off and 'let it be' and they just carry on bleating about other people's opinions.
I think a small core of moderators is a good idea to keep the extremists in check. They can help stop the personal slanging matches and keep the spirit of the forum going .......... but that is just my personal view.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
hmmm deja vu...TOL

Just behave yourselves and stop winding people up Most on here are mature adults, all you have to do is behave like one

I come on here for enjoyment, if i see something i dont like then i ignore it. Simple as that.

[Edited on 4/1/07 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

donut

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Either i have had my head up my backside all over xmas (most probable!) but i have not noticed anything bad about this forum (except for 1 person!). It's still miles better than any other auto forum in my opinion.

Look i'm even smiling

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mackei23b

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I think it has been a great forum and it's helped me in my build, and it's good to see other projects.

As long as the key aim of the forum is to share information and support each others builds then we can't go too far wrong.

I agree that it has got a bit personal, though, again only in the minority. As long as we think before we reply and ask ourselves the question, is my answer actually helping to answer the original query and help our fellow locost builder?

Cheers

Ian

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I think we could do with a group of moderators personally, not just because of the recent upset but to help out Chris. deleting threads should only be done when completely necessary, but as said, 99% of people on here seem fine in all threads I've read, people have differing opinions, and some just don't understand that its each to their own.
Regards
Matt

bartonp

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doughie
seems to me that this forum is 'storming' at the moment... what has changed?

do members have to agree to a code of conduct about how they use this valuable site? and what are the appropriate consequences?

what will we have to agree to to ensure the true purpose of this site shines through? (has it ever really stopped?)

soooooooooooo many questions, but it seems to me we can sort it

p.s. oh, will someone email snoopy to ask him to read this poll!!!

[Edited on 4/1/07 by doughie]

Just look at what has happened to the Morris Minor OC forum since enforcing moderation and terms & conditions - they now spend more time argueing about moderation, posters are leaving...

Let's keep it simple, just ignore what you don't like & think twice before hitting 'post reply'

pajsh

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I've not been on over Christmas and so heve missed the issues but I don't see a big problem.

Before I click "Post Reply" I ask my self

1) Is it true
2) Is it helpful.

If not either I change it or don't post.

I broke this rule recently and apologize to Jon Ison for it.

It's a great forum with great people so lets concentrate on the good and ignore the bad. There is alot of actvity and only a very minor element that is unhelpful.

As Flak Monkey says, just ignore the bad elements and keep it positive.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

fesycresy

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Moderators are a bit too over zealous with the deleting and curb members freedom, that's why they're not liked. However the way the forum is going a few moderators may be useful, mainly for the benefit of the newbies.

I think the slagging off is quite funny and breaks the forum up a bit, but the number of 'attacks' from genuine posts are getting ridiculous.

I'm glad I've finished my car, it seems the majority of posts are shite.

I still drop in now and again, but wonder how many people I could give advice to, but can't be arsed to log in.

I've noticed some posts from Muzchaps, we build our cars about the same time and noticed his posts, similar thoughts to mine.

Newbies needing advice have to wade throught the shite to get to the good stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

James

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pajsh

Before I click "Post Reply" I ask my self

1) Is it true
2) Is it helpful.

If not either I change it or don't post.

It's a great forum with great people so lets concentrate on the good and ignore the bad. There is alot of actvity and only a very minor element that is unhelpful.

As Flak Monkey says, just ignore the bad elements and keep it positive.

I agree!

I've cut down my posting in last couple of years- asking oneself whether what you're posting is genuinely adding any value to the site means you cut down on a lot of crap!

And if someone's being antagonistic.... then just ignore them! If they're acting like a fool then everyone will think so as well even if they don't post to say so!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

iank

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Moderators completely ruin forums IMO. It all ends up being a clique with the 'power' corrupting. The only moderator that will ever completely work in line with your opinions is you.

I've disagreed with a number of things that have happened over the years, but I just ignore the (few) people who are out to boost their ego and shout out others.

Though I agree with Donut, I've only been skimming over Christmas but apart from a couple of threads it's not been obviously terrible.

p.s. not sure what trader moderators are/would be. Most of the traders have fan-boys who act as their sales reps on here but it's all unofficial (as far as I can see). Or do you mean the traders would moderate? <shudder>

TangoMan

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Ignore them!!!

Perhaps the best response is for us all to boycott any responses which are personal or intended to create friction.

If these posts get no responses I would hope the individuals will cease. The only point of adding controversial posts is to generate a negative response and a heated debate.

Perhaps some members had difficult childhoods and now want to stamp their mark on the world.

I think this is a great forum, although I spend far too much time on it, and without the help and advice I probably would get the same level of enjoyment from my car.

I for one will not be adding comment to any post which is unproductive.

Summer's here!!!!

shortie

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
It's simple really, you could probably get rid of 4 or 5 people and sort all the problems but moderators will probably cause more hassle and anyway people can just join again as someone else so it'll solve nothing really.

Just ignore the people you don't see eye to eye with and if they post then just disregard there comments.

Works for me.

Rich.

graememk

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
i dont think they should be deleated but frozen, and repeat offenders should be loged off say for a week or something like that

trogdor

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
It is sad to see how personal people make these threads, i really like this forum, is one of the best i have ever used despite me having a classic car and not a locost, (though we did start one years ago). everyone is really helpful with advice and generous too.

I really hope it doesn't crash and burn as its a really good resource on the net, i would say a few moderators to make sure nothing really bad stays would prob work, but maybe some sort of election to become a moderator? not sure if that would work tho.

snapper

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Who modreates the moderators?
Unless you go the route of elected reps, by area or interest you can't make it work.
The web master i suppose could ask for a representitive few to view posts and comunicate together to bring threads to a close if they have gone off topic or delete inapropriate comments.
It always amazes me how very, very brave people can be when not face to face, tha standards of behaviour on a web site can be trully offensive.Without the normal subconsious psychology restraint that we get from face to face communication things soon get out of hand.
In essence you would not act like that in a pub and get away with it for long.
I for one feel that any comment that is openly abusive or threatning should be deleted and that anyone being threatning or abusive should be banned, who does that is still a matter for discusion.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

muzchap

posted on 4/1/07 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Fesy - good to see you still lurking about!

To be honest I used to use this forum extensively for help/advice - but now as Fesy points out - it's clogged up with shite.

Now - I simply pick up the phone and ring Mark/Colin at MAC#1 - they continually offer advice, encouragement and a top quality service AND I don't even own a MAC#1!!!!!!

I can't help feeling that some basic moderation is needed - Graeme is right - you don't DELETE posts, you just 'lock' them so that no new posts can antagonise anybody.

The problem with this is - if we were all down the pub - none of this would be happening. Or we would exclude certain people if they could not communicate civilly. It's amazing how many people hide behind a keyboard - I wouldn't say anything on here that I wouldn't be prepared to say to somebodys face - I also believe the majority think like me.

This place used to be a daily visit for a good laugh and to check out progress of people like Fesy/Big Wazza/Graeme/RazMan/Ned/NS Dev etc - who were all building whilst I was

Now it seems farcical. I'm glad the majority of posters on this thread are what I believe to be the 'genuine' people - lets keep this up!

Perhaps we need a WIKI section as well as a forum? We could supplant any information contained in the threads to a WIKI - the WIKI could be moderated like WIkiPEDIA - so that any 'new' members can consult the WIKI like a bible. e.g. search for Type-9 - and it details everything this forum knows about a Type-9 - it could even include links to builders who have used the box and in what scenario, e.g. mated to a pinto/zetec/k-series etc. IMHO this would be a far greater resource and completely remove the argumentitive element?

Thoughts ?

M

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

iank

posted on 4/1/07 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
The wiki idea was tried, but crashed and burned due to lack of interest. It's a lot of work to get the the information in there to start it off.

http://www.carbuilders.info

JamJah

posted on 4/1/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Something I (and many) dont like but it should be said as it is techniacally an option....
Running a closed forum. Ie, people post a question or success/failure, event/landmark etc and all replies happen within a closed conversation. People then can only criticised the original post but it does stop 'studio development'.

Personally I think the site has changed due to changes in the industry. The market place seems to be focused more on 'kits' than locost now.
Also a lot more money is being spent (related?!) and i think this has produced a different attitude to the build. Perhaps it could be said to be more competitive and takes more to 'individualised' things.

I think I read the site reflected this and is officially called kitcarbuilders even though i still use a locostbuilders branded site!

This is not criticism of people, companies or the site. Just the background to problems as I see it. Are we all victims of a changed attitude? Don't critised me for this post. Yes it is frank, but its personal experience based opinion too.

spunky

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Wasn't actually gonna post on this thread but I really like this site and don't want it to fail.
As said some people with 'little man syndrome', 'low self esteem', 'chip on their shoulder' etc etc will hide behind their monitor and provoke other users.
SO WHAT! I personally find it amusing and laugh at the individuals inadequacies.
What I never do is take the bait and respond, Thats what they want. Just read it, laugh at it, ignore it and continue with the thread in a constructive way.
We appear to a bit too sensative regarding this.

I think a single deputy to assist Chris would be useful as some users are still getting popups and to monitor for any particularly unsavoury avatars which have caused problems in the past for users at work, but not to moderate or censor posts.

These blinkered and self righteous posters ammuse me, dont make them go away

IMHO of course.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

Wadders

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm against moderation, detest being told what i can or cant do or say.

I reckon the problem with moderators is, you tend to find the folks that put themselves forward to be mods, are the ones with too much time on their hands, perversly its the people with too much time on their hands, that cause most of the trouble in the first place....

Beware it's the rocky road to ruin

Al.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have a few personal rules that generally work for me:

1. If I am unsure of my facts, either I don't post or I say that I am unsure.
2. If a topic is generating arguments then I don't open it any more.
3. If certain members start to take an interest in a topic, then I don't open it any more.
4. If certain members say that something is gospel, then I take it with a very large pinch of salt. Saying that, there are many whos opinion I do trust.
5. If someone makes a personal attack on me, or on a friend, then I respond off-line via e-mail or U2U.

This policy has meant that I haven't been bothered by any 'bad vibes' for ages! Anyone who remembers TOL will know just how bad things can get...

cheers and smiles,
David

Donuts

posted on 4/1/07 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have been reading this forum for over a year now, I am yet to start my build (still gathering cash and wife brownie points). I only hope the bickering could stop so it is still around when I come to build.

The trouble with moderators are: who will moderate?

Fly Like a mouse, Run Like a cushion, Be the small Bookcase

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.