Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear Sierra Caliper replacements
ProjectX

posted on 15/4/07 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Rear Sierra Caliper replacements

Can anyone tell me if there are any replacement rear calipers instead of the sierra massives?

J

smdl

posted on 15/4/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, you can use Mk IV VW Golf calipers, which are aluminum. Here is the thread where I asked and received advice about them:

Linky

I have since bought a set, but haven't got them installed yet.

HTH
Shaun

oadamo

posted on 15/4/07 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
funny that as when i was on the scrapyard every sierra hard there rear brakes removed. i was looking for somthing that would fit
adam

Hellfire

posted on 15/4/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Spec.

Phil

Stu16v

posted on 15/4/07 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Hi Spec.

Phil

I personally wouldnt recommend the unsafe sh1te they pass off as brake stuff to my worst enemy - for fear that Hispec may make a profit from it!

Dont just build it.....make it!

Minicooper

posted on 15/4/07 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProjectX
Can anyone tell me if there are any replacement rear calipers instead of the sierra massives?

J

The vw calipers I bought of Rally Design do not fit the standard sierra disk braked hubs, and they are only a small amount lighter, but much deeper so you may need to put 15" wheels on

Cheers
David

Hellfire

posted on 15/4/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v
quote:
Hi Spec.

Phil

I personally wouldnt recommend the unsafe sh1te they pass off as brake stuff to my worst enemy - for fear that Hispec may make a profit from it!

I take it you've had a bad experience of Hi Spec brake products. Care to elaborate?

Phil

ProjectX

posted on 15/4/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

The reason I ask is that the rear hub carriers wont allow the sierra calipers to fit!!!! DRILLED THEM IN THE WRONG PLACE!

Any other ideas

Minicooper

posted on 15/4/07 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I did the same on mine, the handbrake bit sits exactly where the top mount is, although mines a de dion axle, I was able to move the brackets inboard to clear on my car. For me the only way seemed a bit of refabrication (is that a real word? not sure) a pain but pleased with the end result

On a few IRS hubs the top mount is heavily angled in, perhaps to clear the brakes, but I don't know that

http://www.mkdevelopments.co.uk/New%20Upright%20and%20hub3.jpg

Cheers
David

Stu16v

posted on 16/4/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v
quote:
Hi Spec.

Phil

I take it you've had a bad experience of Hi Spec brake products. Care to elaborate?

Phil

Not once, but twice - and sadly, it seems plenty of others share the same experiences...

To cut two very long stories short...
Ordered a brake upgrade in 2003. Rang up - plenty of positive vibes on the phone. I asked for alloy 2 pot calipers with the same sized pistons as M16's to replace the M16's currently fitted. The only reason I wanted to replace them were to save weight. They were upfront - warned me that my order may take 6 to 8 weeks to complete, as they were busy from just coming back from Autosport. 3 months later, still hadnt heard anything. Rang them up, to be answered with "Err yes - we were just about to ring you. We cant do them with the piston size you require..."

So, a few years later, time to revisit the brake upgrade thing again. My mate ordered stuff directly from them early on last year. The first set of calipers that arrived were not the colour he ordered. The second set that arrived only had 10mm holes drilled into the locating lugs on one caliper... But when they finally went together, to be fair, they certainly looked the part - so I thought I would have another go. But this time I ordered through a third party (who I feel is unfair to name, as I dont think they had much to do with the sh!te I was sold).
Suffice to say that the first set of discs were completely incorrect. Waited a fair length of time for another set to arrive. Upon arrival the first disc fitted fine, but the offset on the other one was again incorrect, fouling the caliper. It was only at this point did I discover (trying to fit the second caliper for the first time) that the caliper I had had only been drilled with 10mm holes too! This after waitng months waiting for replacements. Replacements that were only sent after I took pictures of every stage of a step-to-step Haynes manual 'attempt-to-fit' onto another set of spare Cortina Uprights I happened to own. Until that point, it was a problem with my hubs/uprights/anything else that could be blamed.

Icing on the cake was that the one(!) disc that was sent to me was machined down to only 3.5mm thick in the internal radius between disc face and the top hat (hub) section. Whilst I dont claim to be the font of all knowledge when it comes to disc design, to me, that was just totally inadequate, and grossly unsafe. This was the disc that fitted...

Ordered in March, finally got a full refund in August.

I'm not the only one either. try a search on the Westfield website to see how others love the Hispec service and product...

[Edited on 16/4/07 by Stu16v]

Hellfire

posted on 17/4/07 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
The reason I asked was to determine what you meant by 'unsafe'. We've never actually had any experience of the services of Hispec but we're more than happy with the products they supply and don't consider them unsafe in any way.

Phil

Stu16v

posted on 17/4/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The reason I asked was to determine what you meant by 'unsafe'. We've never actually had any experience of the services of Hispec but we're more than happy with the products they supply and don't consider them unsafe in any way.

Phil

It seems you have been very lucky then Phil - because I can introduce you many that are not...

Hellfire

posted on 17/4/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Must admit, I've heard/read lots of stories about their poor customer services in the past, which is a shame really because their products are superb IMO

Phil

Kosmo

posted on 18/4/07 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone used the Wilwood rear caliper with combined handbrake mech ? (ref Rally Design web site)

If so do they fit Sierra rear caliper mounts ?

Cheers,
Kosmo

bigrich

posted on 19/4/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
got them on my worx build under 13's with a bit of work. you will need spacers and brackets to mount them as they are not a direct replacement

[Edited on 19/4/07 by bigrich] Rescued attachment rear wilwoodcxr.jpg
Rescued attachment rear wilwoodcxr.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.