Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Forum security
spunky

posted on 1/7/07 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Forum security

Hello guys,

After some time away I return with a dilemma, as far removed from car building as I can imagine.

I seem to have got myself in a pickle on a work related forum from a potential new employer regarding some comments I made about the contract.
Now... I've recieved a thinly veiled threat from my new employer (maybe)
He has adressed me in the pm as Stephen, this is not my name.
Can forum members identities be traced by a third party?
Before I respond to the pm I'd like to know if I have already jeapardised my future career.

Thanks

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

Fozzie

posted on 1/7/07 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, you have put your question in the section that relates to this website (LocostBuilders).......

Are you asking about 'Forum Security' of this site, or, Forums in general, in which case it should really be in 'Computer problems......'

If the pm has been incorrectly addressed to you as 'Stephen', then maybe your new employer has sent the pm to the wrong person entirely.

As far as this site is concerned, nothing is divulged to other parties.....

HTH Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

ReMan

posted on 1/7/07 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Technically, and as Fozzie says, probably not.
But it's surprizing how much you might give away in small details on a forum that would make a positivE Id quite easy.
Your ace I would have thought is that it's addreseed to someone else, so it may be a case of them thinking you and your alias is some one else
Maybe ignoring it s better than biting and confirming your identity?

spunky

posted on 2/7/07 at 01:48 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry for posting in wrong section, but as i have a response I'll leave it.
I feel I should respond out of courtesy and to defend my comments (believe me, the contract was..err.. shallow!) However I have no intention of disclosing my identity. I have been incorrectly named but the quotes are accurate.
So with that in mind, maybe it would be better to delete all posts, cancel my account and let it blow over...

This is a whole new industry with a lot of back scratching and biting, I'm assuming that forum admin have access to user ID and in particular email address. The fact that I have been contacted thru pm suggests that confidetiality has not been compromised.... yet

t'internet.... 'tis scary innit?

nice to be back on a forum I trust and recognise peeps... none of you got anything better to do?

ATB
John (real name)

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

Macbeast

posted on 2/7/07 at 02:12 AM Reply With Quote
Ignore it and do not reply.

IF they have identified you there's nothing you can do or say that will undo what you said and they are no longer a potential employer. It seems that you are not happy with the contract so what's the point in defending your comments?

If he company is a small one and if the forum is industry-related it's possible someone from the company might have seen your comments and said "hey, could this be the guy we interviewed last week ? " - in which case you're stuffed -but responding to the pm only confirms they got the right guy.

It's also possible someone is winding you up.

Least said soonest mended. " Who me? " and "Sorry, which forum" are good if it gets to a face -to-face.

tks

posted on 2/7/07 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
dunno wich kind of details but offcourse if you quote them to 1:1 then its possible that they ID you with that.

in my opinion/world i never would quote details of contracts on a forum but just on the moment of recieveing them discus
them... e-mail adress vissible??

on i-net you always leave a track

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

stevebubs

posted on 22/7/10 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Ignore it and do not reply.

IF they have identified you there's nothing you can do or say that will undo what you said and they are no longer a potential employer. It seems that you are not happy with the contract so what's the point in defending your comments?

If he company is a small one and if the forum is industry-related it's possible someone from the company might have seen your comments and said "hey, could this be the guy we interviewed last week ? " - in which case you're stuffed -but responding to the pm only confirms they got the right guy.

It's also possible someone is winding you up.

Least said soonest mended. " Who me? " and "Sorry, which forum" are good if it gets to a face -to-face.

and change your forum email address to be a random hotmail one? e.g. stephenlikeswisecracksatcontracts@hotmail.com

[Edited on 22/7/10 by stevebubs]

iank

posted on 22/7/10 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Only 3 years and 20 days late

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

TimC

posted on 23/7/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
You've gotta pay the bills - if you do end up working there you may have an opportunity to change things for the better.

I'd exit (stage left) as you suggest and keep your head down a while.

Fozzie

posted on 23/7/10 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
You've gotta pay the bills - if you do end up working there you may have an opportunity to change things for the better.

I'd exit (stage left) as you suggest and keep your head down a while.

Tim, as Ian has pointed out, this thread is over 3 years old!!!!!!

I guess spunky has sorted it out by now!

Fozzie

Liam

posted on 24/7/10 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Well, did you get the job, Spunky?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 24/7/10 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
I think Spunky has lost his job, his internet and thus can't reply

Fozzie

posted on 24/7/10 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
I think Spunky has lost his job, his internet and thus can't reply

ROFL ^^^^
True, he hasn't been on forum for a while (April 2010) .... but as said, he created this thread 3 years ago in 2007........so I guess all turned out ok on the original 'problem'.........

Fozzie

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.