Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: living with a shogun
JoelP

posted on 30/12/07 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
living with a shogun

thinking about getting a 1994 2.8tdi lwb shogun. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? Its done 130k miles.

Cheers!

zilspeed

posted on 30/12/07 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Mate of mine has had two.
First was a 2.5, second was a 2.8

He reckoned the **2.5** was better on fuel than the **2.8**

I once borrowed the 2.8 to haul a tipping trailer filled with gravel for the driveway. Now that's a proper towcar. A bit jap inside, but that's hardly suprising.

Anyway, the bloke who had the two is a huge fan of them. (Although he now drives a 320D touring).

**typo now fixed - although see further down thread for an actual owner's opinion**

[Edited on 30/12/07 by zilspeed]

bob

posted on 30/12/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Joel

Drop dazza a u2u, he has been using shogun/pajero's for a few years now and loves them. He should be able to give you a guide to living with them no prob, as zil quoted the 2.8 is deffinatly the one to go for and has a lot more grunt than the 2.5.

zilspeed

posted on 30/12/07 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon-Performance-Eu
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

He reckoned the 2.8 was better on fuel than the 2.8

????

I never said it made any sense

As I said, I have never owned one.

coozer

posted on 30/12/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Must be mad with derv at nearly £5 a gallon IMHO

Its a bit like having a demanding bit on the side constantly wanting more, more, more, (fuel that is!)

[Edited on 30/12/07 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

auzziejim

posted on 30/12/07 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
i have owned a swb 2.5 and my current LWB 2.8 both pajero's i wouldnt own a shogun as they just dont have the same high spec.

yes the 2.5 is better on fuel but the 2.8 is a far better engine. i wouldnt have anything else again by far the best car iv owned and would tow with nothing smaller ever again. driven carefully it will return 30mpg. just make sure you buy a goodun and service every 3-5k and it will last forever. yes the interior is a little dated and jap but nothing for the money is as comfy, hard working, reliable or has such a high spec

have a look at www.pocuk.co.uk for more info

cheers

james

JoelP

posted on 30/12/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
good start, no one saying they are crap at least! cheers for the replys chaps, i have my eye on one but i suspect it will get a bit more expensive than im looking for. Need to clear out the scrap yard first!

Thanks again

Just remembered i once had a swb pajero, which was nice! Are they part time 4x4? ie no centre diff?

[Edited on 30/12/07 by JoelP]

hector

posted on 30/12/07 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2.8 LWB shogun GLS on a P plate, had it a year now and only problem i had was smoking on start up (grey) which was cured instantly by fittine a complete set of glow plugs (£25, ebay).
Its been totally reliable, only downside is it doesnt have aircon like the pajeros. apart from that theres not much difference.
Cheap as chips to insure £172 FC 39y old
Had a landie before that and it was crap compared to the shogun!

cheers colin

madteg

posted on 30/12/07 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
showgun

Why go for diesel, have you thought about LPG, I run a 4.0L petrol jeep on lpg it does 19 to the gallon at 40p per litre witch means i get the equivalent of about 50 mpg. (ITS WORTH THINKING ABOUT).
auzziejim

posted on 30/12/07 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
or just get a diesel and launch SVO in there, even in this weather im running 50/50 no probs
zilspeed

posted on 30/12/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
Why go for diesel, have you thought about LPG, I run a 4.0L petrol jeep on lpg it does 19 to the gallon at 40p per litre witch means i get the equivalent of about 50 mpg. (ITS WORTH THINKING ABOUT).

Where (the ****) can you buy LPG at 40p a litre ?
Best around here is 49.9 at Morrisons. Less the 1.5 a litre on the miles card.

Even worse, I got caught out today and paid 52.9 a litre.

madteg

posted on 30/12/07 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
lpg

lpg direct corby
madteg

posted on 30/12/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
lpg

Anyway at 50p you will still get 40plus mpg compared to 20 if you are lucky with diesel.
auzziejim

posted on 30/12/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
or 30 if you drive sensibly with a diesel and with all the torque for towing
PAUL FISHER

posted on 30/12/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ive run a pajero for 18months,2.8 turbo,auto,no cam belt to worry about on the 2.8,pulled like a train,one of the best cars Ive had,my advice would be go for a jap spec,auto,exceed model.
The only down side is the fuel economy,low 20's at best

Schrodinger

posted on 30/12/07 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've just got rid of my 2.5LWB Pajero (Mk1). It is the most comfortable car I have ever driven and parts were quite reasonable.

Keith
Aviemore

Peteff

posted on 30/12/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I drove my brother in law's Shogun and it was diabolical. The steering is connected to the front wheels by elastic bands and the door handles scrape the road, it wallows so badly. If one of the headlamp bulbs goes, can't remember which side, you have to dismantle it to fit a new one. I can't imagine Joel as a careful driver and would expect him to get 18mpg, that's all I could get out of it but there's a lot of hills round here. It's good for what it's designed for, farmers, contractors and the like but people who like driving shouldn't get one.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 30/12/07 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
lol pete

im looking for something to replace the van, i can fit it all in an estate car but they cant take the weight usually. I think i will need 4 seats soon you see. Now obviously a new navara would do, but i dont fancy a divorce just yet

The vans past 190k now and i dont want to end up stuck with a lemon if it breaks!

zilspeed

posted on 30/12/07 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
Anyway at 50p you will still get 40plus mpg compared to 20 if you are lucky with diesel.

I get 29mpg out of my car which is more or less 58 on petrol, so I'm still not complaining.

jono_misfit

posted on 1/1/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
I used to work for an importer of Jap cars and 4x4's.

To me Pajaero's are great to drive and the last of the old shape are best (square arched). 2.8's have loads of go and tow well.

I have driven a few with dodgy steering boxes and / or worn steering joints and those can be somewhat scary. Deff check the joints if your looking at one as theres lots of them.

The advice above is good as exceeds have a better spec and nicer interiors. Some of the cloth ones can wear fairly badly (the place i worked got them re-covered in leather frequently). With the seats down / out theres loads of space.

They do drink a bit and if theres one with adjustable suspension its good if it works. Expensive if it doesnt.

My fav ones are the SWB pajero evo's. Stupidly fast.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.