Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help - Mot & SVA?
JeffHs

posted on 22/4/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Help - Mot & SVA?

SVA booked tomorrow. Just going through the DVLA hoops. I tried to ring Nottingham but was put straight through to Swansea who told me this morning that I need an MoT to register. I queried this and she checked with 2 supervisors. Has anyone got a definitive answer on this yet?
If i'd known MoT was a definite requirement I would have gone for MoT before tomorrow's SVA, which would have relieved some of the stress!

Jeff

DarrenW

posted on 22/4/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Defo dont need MOT to register. Try a search for more definitive answer. You will get loads of hits. This is one of the most frustrating and documented issues on the legal side of kit car building.

blakep82

posted on 22/4/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
i think you need to have a chassis number and license plate for MOT (otherwise they've got nothing to log your mot against)

and you need to have your sva to get a number plate and chassis number (i think, i'm probably wrong on that, i've never had to do that part, or even think about it yet )

what the way i *think* it works, its impossible to get an mot before sva

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

brynhamlet

posted on 22/4/08 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
As has been posted on here before.
1. SVA
2. DVLA and no MOT for three years.

Nottingham DVLA office is at 5, Nottingham Business Park,
Unit D, Orchard Place,
Off Woodhouse Way,
Nottingham,
Nottinghamshire
NG8 6PX

Vehicle Enquiry: 0870 240 0010
Driving License: 0870 240 0009

It is only a short distance from the VOSA centre, so it is worth popping in on the way home.
If you ring the VOSA centre they might be able to give you a direct number to the DVLA man. The DVLA man does go to the VOSA centre to check cars and was very helpful with me. Sorted all the paperwork out there and then, registration two days later.
Oh and good luck with the SVA, the guys at Nottingham are very helpful and even if they fail your car, will give you guidance for the re-test. Get there early because if they fail it, but you can sort it within 30 minutes to an hour you will still get you pass ticket.
Take lots of tools, battery drill, trim bits and get some self amalgating loom tape. Covers any edges that your car might fail on

wilkingj

posted on 22/4/08 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
For an MoT You only need the Chassis number. (and insurance to drive to the station, and an appoinment)
You cant get a Number plate until its Been SVA'd.

When you get an MoT on the Chassis no. You can then get the SVA, with the SVA you go to the DVLA and get it registered. They give you the Reg no and the authority to buy the Reg plates.

Then you go back to the MoT station who issued the certificate on the chassis and get a revised MoT Certificate with the reg No on it.

For SVA you dont actually need a MoT. I did one for peace of mind, that the car was actually safe to drive to the SVA. (100+ mile round trip including motorways)

When you register, if you have a Donor V5 you can get an age related plate.
If you have ALL new parts and one Recon part (usually engine) you can get a NEW / 08 plate. (Dont get an MoT if you have all new bits or it puts you on the list for renewal next year, and you should get 3 years not requiring a MoT on a New car - Get the mot Station to check the car, but NOT put it on the system or book it in - ie have the car checked, but NO certificate)

Otherwise its a Q plate if you dont have a Donor V5.
Q plate isnt so bad... you just cant put a personalised plate on it later. no big deal.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 22/4/08 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
You definately don't need an MOT to register your car.

They'll try and say you need one because they're stupid. Ask them what an MOT will show up that an SVA test will not. If you do an MOT before SVA they'll do it on chassis number (you need to have a chassis number in place for SVA anyway), but if you end up the MOT database you'll get hauled in for annual MOTs (whereas you should only need one 3 years after SVA- even on a Q plate). DVLA will try and say you need one after a year on a Q plate but they're wrong (and they admitted it to me via e-mail!!)....

nitram38

posted on 22/4/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
You don't need a V5 to get an age related plate either !
I just kept a number plate off the car and gave the dvla inspector the engine number.

DO NOT GET AN MOT DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Otherwise you will have to get one done every year after that.

Stu16v

posted on 23/4/08 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
They'll try and say you need one because they're stupid. Ask them what an MOT will show up that an SVA test will not.

As the last time you posted this, how about horn, bald tyres, and anything else that is seen it's best (e.g. wheel bearings, ball joint etc)?
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
If you do an MOT before SVA they'll do it on chassis number (you need to have a chassis number in place for SVA anyway), but if you end up the MOT database you'll get hauled in for annual MOTs (whereas you should only need one 3 years after SVA- even on a Q plate). DVLA will try and say you need one after a year on a Q plate but they're wrong (and they admitted it to me via e-mail!!)....

You won't get 'hauled in' - at least, it will not be a legal requirement - *just* because you have had an MOT done on the car. Regardless of initial MOT status at registration, it does appear that first year tax reminder will ask for MOT though, albeit incorrectly...

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.