Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VFR/RVF 400
Miks15

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
VFR/RVF 400

Hi all.

Im turning 17 mid august and am trying to plan ahead for my driving/riding.
Im having lessons as soon as i turn 17 and hoping to have my licence within a few weeks.(most of my m8s have already got theirs and it sucks being so young)

Anyway after my car license i want to get a bike license and therefore run a bike daily and use parents small fiesta when needed.

Im thinking about getting a 400 when i can and fancy a VFR 400. Just basically wondering if anyone here (i know there are some bikers on here) has experience with these bikes? Or anyother 400's for that matter. Im still open for suggestions as its still a cuple of months away just like to plan early so im not rushing to get a bike.

Thanks

Mikkel

bigrich

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
fantastic little machine, the nc30 is great with a wonderful V4 soundtrack

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Benzine

posted on 6/6/08 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I want to take my CBT soon. I see you're in Grantham, that's where I would do it (5 minutes away) You must be the nearest locoster to me! Are there a couple of bike training places in grantham?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 6/6/08 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Check out the price of a set of spark plugs for it I seem to recall they are about £12 each. They are a bit small for full size adults as well. For a daily user you could look at a commuter bike for a lot less money and more comfortable.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stevebubs

posted on 6/6/08 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Nice little bike....but as said, a bit on the small side....

Also worth considering the ZZR400 and ZXR400 imports....

Triton

posted on 6/6/08 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
RD350LC.......much better soundtrack especially with spannies wailing and burning pro 2. shame fuel so damn expensive though!

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 6/6/08 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
RD350LC.......much better soundtrack especially with spannies wailing and burning pro 2. shame fuel so damn expensive though!

Triton,

You're showing your age here...

A decent one was rare enough to find 15 years ago. Must be like gold dust now.

Triton

posted on 6/6/08 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
RG400 ?....4 spannies wailing!!!!! oh stop it man you are drooling or is that a sign of age talking about strokers?????

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Triton

posted on 6/6/08 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Seen two around here in recent days...standard ones too!!!

Swarbrick pipes and pro 2....what more can you say but heaven is a nutty stroker...

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

skodaman

posted on 7/6/08 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
I had a VFR 400 NC30 years ago when I lived in Tokyo. Great little bike. Superb handling and brakes and reliable. Plenty fast enough for Tokyo as well.
Bad points useless two-up unless passenger is very short, too uncomfortable for long distances.
I'm over 6 foot and found the riding position ok for about 30mins. It's good if you're a boy racer but pretty uncomfortable if you're over 30. I was thirty at the time.
lThey make Triton's seats feel like the comfiest archair u've ever sat in. No offence meant there Triton. DIY is a load of hassle. It's the only bike I've ever had that I never completely rebuilt. But then again it's the only one I've never had to rebuild. The fairing gets in the way of even simple jobs.
When I was your age I had an RD 250 which soon got converted to 350 and expansion chambers etc. Ah them wert days. But unreliable and thirsty.
Yeh go for the VFR (unless you've got to commute too far) while bikes like that are still allowed. Take it easy till you get used to it though.

Skodaman

worX

posted on 7/6/08 at 05:03 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome little bike, you'll embarass a lot of stuff on one of them when you've learnt to ride it properly...

Steve

dr-fastlane

posted on 7/6/08 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
The VFR 400 NC30 is a great bike, had one couple of years ago. Exchanged it later for a Suzuki Bandit 600…. I loved riding the VFR because the special V4 sound, and the feeling it gives like a real supersport machine in a little package. And of course the looks of it, you must love the single swingarm and the superbike look. Only at longer trips the pressure on your wrists can be irritating caused by the sit position.

[Edited on 7/6/08 by dr-fastlane]

------------------------------
I have not failed once. I have successfully found ways that will not work!

https://www.motor-forum.nl/threads/hardtail-dragstyle-project.343482/

Dangle_kt

posted on 7/6/08 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
v4 engines are a little expensive to get work done on them, basically because the engine is so compact in there that it costs quite a bit for any standard maintainence.

I got my first bike at 18 and the servicing costs got me looking in another direction instead of the vfr.

I got a cbr400rr, lovely bike, revs like buggerey and handles like (or better) than the vfr - it didn;t miss a beat the whole time i had it - wonderful machine!

400 sports bikes are great, as you feel like your riding them to there limits, which you could never do on a 600 on the road, ad there is something satisfying about knowing you couldnt have taken a corner better, on a bigger bike your right wrist always has to be checked, and a 400 you just wind it on and keep it cranked over on its ear.

rvf is a nicer bike, as vfr's and cbr 400rrs are getting a bit long in the tooth.

My only advise is chop you legs off, if your any taller than about 5'10" then you will soon fall out of love with the clip ons, 400's were built for young jap lads who couldnt ride big bikes due to the odd laws over there, so are pretty cramped. Mine used to give me the worst cramp in my hip - but I'm 6'1" so you might be fine.

try http://www.400greybike.cc/newforum/

for advise - enjoy

[Edited on 7/6/08 by Dangle_kt]

rf900rush

posted on 7/6/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I've a NC29 CBR400RR

Keep it under 400cc and you get £33 road tax
Cheaper insurance.

20K miles in 6 years.
New chain and SS exhuast 5 years back
new alternator this year
+ tyres and oil.

Word of warning.
I've seen alot of low mileage Grey import bikes, which I suspect of being clocked.
I don't thik Japan Keep records of mileage.

Way back when my 13K mile ZX6R got written off, it still look good , and i'm not one for polishing bikes.
I use bikes to go to work rain/snow/sun.
So why would a < 10k bike look sh*t.

So when buying check tyres brake disks chain as these cost.
And does it look looked after.

And lastly watch out for Car drivers they often want to see you real close accross their bonnet.

stevebubs

posted on 7/6/08 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto... I went from
to

Miks15

posted on 7/6/08 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
cheers for all the advice guys, IM not to bothered about servicing costs as ill probably do it all my self. I dont mind setting aside a bit of time to get to know the bike better!

Ye ive heard alot about the handling and performance of these bikes and heard how great the soundtrack is!

Sorrey benzine i cant help you out there as i took my CBT near mansfield as we knew someone out there and it was cheaper than in grantham. But will probably be taking my test in grantham.

Cheers again guys.

givemethebighammer

posted on 7/6/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Get one! I love my NC30. I'm 5'7" and 9.5st and the bike suits me fine. Plenty quick enough (seen over 120 on a private road) good brakes and great handling. The engine is a bit of a pig to work on but it's not caused me too many headaches!

see this thread
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=89860

for some pics of mine

Miks15

posted on 7/6/08 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
anyone know of any good places to look for buying them? Few gooduns pop up on ebay every now and again.

Anyone know anyother decent websites or anywhere else?

Cheers

givemethebighammer

posted on 9/6/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Just look for one that is as standard as possible, i.e. with original exhaust and fairings still on. Avoid ones with damaged plastics as they are expensive to repair, most other stuff you can get at reasonable prices from breakers or ebay. From what I have been told the V4 motor is pretty unbreakable but keep an eye out for the usual rattles, leaks and smoke.
eccsmk

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
i dont know anything about them sorry but when i pass my test ill be using one of these for a year or two

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.