Board logo

Top gear 'stratos' kit car
r1_manx - 30/11/09 at 01:21 PM

I was watching top gear last night and liked the look of the stratos replica kit car they showed. But I couldn't help but feel annoyed that the owner/builder of that car got an unfair hammering from clarkson for the quality of the car and he seemed to paint all home builders with the same brush. I don't believe for a second that someone would build a kit car with a windscreen wiper that just flies off at every moment over 30mph and the brakes locking up situation looked like it was staged to create drama like a lot of their other stunts. When I finish my BEC mini I will do everything to make sure it's been built to the highest standard where things work and don't fall off all the time. I wouldn't build a car in the knowledge that it had issues only to have it slated on a tv show. Does anyone agree with me that the top gear feature was a bit insulting to the average guy who wants to build himself a dream kit car?

tegwin - 30/11/09 at 01:23 PM

Good grief that is an enormous Avatar!

mookaloid - 30/11/09 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Good grief that is an enormous Avatar!

Yup certainly is - kinda takes the eye away from what is probably an interesting post

r1_manx - 30/11/09 at 01:26 PM

hehe yeah i've been meaning to re-size it, will do it now you reminded me :0

Peteff - 30/11/09 at 01:27 PM

I'll watch it on iplayer tonight and let you know later. I doubt if anyone in Britain really values Clarkson's opinion on anything he's a buffoon really

scootz - 30/11/09 at 01:42 PM

Link to Orignal Thread

rf900rush - 30/11/09 at 02:27 PM

Just read the long thread.
Very interesting and expected.

Still love the show.

I treat every thing on TV as fiction, yes even the news.

TV should be treated as entertainment.

Just a shame a lot will believe what they see on TV.

And atfer seeing TG I now want a Stratos kit.
Even the wife said why don't you get one

pewe - 30/11/09 at 02:46 PM

Talk about pot calling the kettle black!
Kn*bhead Clarkson was the one who ended up pocketing a load of nuts & bolts from the Caterham kit when they built it on a previous show because he didn't know/couldn't be bothered to find out where they went - potentially dangerous or what?
Cheers, Pewe

Findlay234 - 30/11/09 at 02:52 PM

Yeah, any news is good news in my opinion... Those who thought... ooer wouldnt buy one of them.... will be the types that would never have built a car anyway.

Youll get those who have built a car who will say.... hmmm is that my next project??.... knowing that the quality of the build is largely down to them. and therell be those who havent built a car but are quite handy and will realise theres more to the kit car world than the seven.

RAYLEE29 - 30/11/09 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234
Yeah, any news is good news in my opinion... Those who thought... ooer wouldnt buy one of them.... will be the types that would never have built a car anyway.

Youll get those who have built a car who will say.... hmmm is that my next project??.... knowing that the quality of the build is largely down to them. and therell be those who havent built a car but are quite handy and will realise theres more to the kit car world than the seven.
eh you mean theres other types of kit car wish id known before i spent all this time and money lol
Ray

luke_stephenson - 30/11/09 at 03:48 PM

I just think the whole review was a load of cack! and i reallyu like top gear usually. what they seem to be saying is that if it isnt built by OE manufacturer it will be crap. dont know if anyone saw the caterham R500 go round the same track in the quickest time ever last series? I reckon there will be many of the top cars on this site that could compete with that no probs. plus the stig probably spins all the time, seems to me by the way he poetically recovered every time that he was almost doing it on purpose. grrr how annoying, that car properly set up would probably be absolutely rapid!

scootz - 30/11/09 at 03:57 PM

... the PH thread on the subject details how he did 20-odd fast laps just fine and dandy, then went out and spun it deliberately and repeatedly during 1 or 2 laps to suit the pre-written script.

I know the Stig is various drivers (manufacturers own test drivers and a few professional drivers)... guess it was Nelson Piquets turn last night!

mangogrooveworkshop - 30/11/09 at 04:26 PM

The way he kept saying KITCAR 40 times was rather annoying.......

All mainsteam oe `s do CKK`s
They export them to developing countrys to assemble.
So Clarksons take on it is crap.

It seems any car that is unobtainable is absolutely fantastic but normal cars are crap

RazMan - 30/11/09 at 05:27 PM

Didn't TG outlaw certain cars from their test track, whinging on about how only production cars can qualify for their lap time board?

The brakes 'issue' and Stig-spins were almost certainly staged for entertainment value (like most of their stuff) but the 'spanner with a hammer' and 'built in a shed' references were annoying - some of us CAN build cars to a high standard grrrr.

I've a good mind to let the Stig have a go round the TG track in my car (which is a similar spec to the Stratos anyway) ...... actually that gives me an idea

[Edited on 30-11-09 by RazMan]

morcus - 30/11/09 at 05:28 PM

Clarkson has always been anti kit car and anti Classic cars, watch any of his motoring programs and it shows.

rf900rush - 30/11/09 at 05:44 PM

May be it's just revenge

There have been a number of Kitcars with very quick (unofficial) time's.

Would'nt you be p11sed if you spent 1/4 million on some fancy car, and some one who made a car in a "shed" was quicker

Thats why my car was made in a shed.

Plus, if I won the lotto I would just make a better car in my shed !

It could be worse
You could be the proud owner of a Morris Marina
And I guess alot of us Kit owners laughed at the Morris owners.

Ar'nt we all guilty of the TG behavour at times.

[Edited on 30/11/09 by rf900rush]

mark chandler - 30/11/09 at 06:14 PM

Just like GOME this year then..

Mr G - 30/11/09 at 06:44 PM

That's why I don't watch top gear, it's a load of old w@nk....

The last one I unfortunately got a snippet of while flicking through the channels (very easy to do near the DAVE channel) looked like an episode of 'Last of the summer wine'

I'll still say thanks to the posters who always remind people its on as it reminds me to avoid it

scootz - 30/11/09 at 07:26 PM

... and those that remind us we can switch it off (had never thought of that!).

mcerd1 - 30/11/09 at 07:33 PM

as soon as TG bring up any subject that you know about you quickly realize what a load of s**** it is, you can't believe anything they do/say

my dad was really pissed off after the one with the tractors/ grow your own fuel

quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
....Plus, if I won the lotto I would just make a better car in my shed !

the other week the boss asked me what car I'd have if I won

I told him I wasn't sure, but probably get a few kits and maybe a classis or two with some updated power depending on what I got..... (basically loads of ideas, but no standard cars on the list )

he said why didn't I want a 911 like normal people

[Edited on 30/11/09 by mcerd1]

morcus - 30/11/09 at 07:37 PM

why get a 911 as your lotto car when you could have something much more intresting? I used to walk through a segment of Glasgow on a daily basis where the 911 was pretty much the most common car there.

billy - 30/11/09 at 07:52 PM

As far as bits flying off the car & brakes playing up, as we all know it can and dos happen as soon as you do a track day!!! they tend to highlight ANY fault even small ones, it happened to me. you ask mr G when i said here you do a lap after i saw coolant leaking out onto the back wheel

norfolkluego - 30/11/09 at 08:31 PM

Still love TG but
Clarkson has never gotten over the Caterham showing up his 'best car ever made'

Dangle_kt - 30/11/09 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Just like GOME this year then..

well said!

Peteff - 1/12/09 at 10:24 AM

I watched it and was impressed by the Stratos, two 360s and still beat a lot of the reasonably priced car times. Of course it's all done for laughs and Klaxon is a Knob, that's why I watch it.

MikeRJ - 1/12/09 at 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
as soon as TG bring up any subject that you know about you quickly realize what a load of s**** it is, you can't believe anything they do/say

my dad was really pissed off after the one with the tractors/ grow your own fuel

Why was he pissed off? He doesn't have to watch it.

People seem to forget that Top Gear is now primarily an entertainment program. The days of William Woollard are long gone. Lots of people like to express how much they hate it, but no-one forces them to watch it, and the viewing figures show they are in a minority.

Bluemoon - 1/12/09 at 12:01 PM

It's just entertainment.. trouble is joe public seems not to realize this, and so Kitcars get a bad rep..

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would realize that the lap was staged, if the time they gave was real, it's flipping impressive that after that number of spins it still made it round in good time (which I find it hard to believe!). Like said entertainment only..

Dan

Bluemoon - 1/12/09 at 12:05 PM

linky:

http://www.stratossupersite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7683

Marcus - 1/12/09 at 01:21 PM

It did annoy me when the wiper blade was coming off and he switched the wipers on!!
DICK
Nicely scratched windscreen for the poor owner.