Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Topgear at 9 BBC2 + at 7pm
jacko

posted on 29/11/09 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Topgear at 9 BBC2 + at 7pm

Topgear 9pm ++ at 7pm on BBC2 The joy of motoring
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jos

posted on 29/11/09 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
ta I'd nearly forgot

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

speedyxjs

posted on 29/11/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Id forgot about the joy of motoring. Looks pretty good. Cheers
minitici

posted on 29/11/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
We don't get "The Joy of Motoring" in Scotland at 7.00pm
But at least I can get Englandshire BBC2 on the satelite

richard thomas

posted on 29/11/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Getting fed up with TG, only on after 9 so that they can say the word 'C*ck' a bit more, and throw in similar schoolboy sniggers....which is a shame because my young lad loved to watch it but I now have to view it first to make sure it's suitable. I think they are doing it to mask the fact that they are running out of ideas, and invariably have a 'race', or smash up some cars at the licence payer's expense (i.e. you and me...)

Becoming a common talking point at work, people wishing that they would feature more cars within reach of Joe Public, not just 50K+ stuff. Cars that the audience at the show might buy or own....pretty sure that they don't all turn up in Italian exotica.

Still, nice work if you can get it!

Bring back William Woollard, I say!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/11/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote

macspeedy

posted on 29/11/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
one thing wrong there James running !
richard thomas

posted on 29/11/09 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Oooh, that was a nice surprise - they said the word 'C*ck', had a 'race' and smashed up some cars at the licence fee payer's expence. And tested a very expensive car - and said it is very nice indeed.

And slagged off kit cars.

Fantastic.

Twits. (typo)

mistergrumpy

posted on 29/11/09 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I actually enjoyed that. I think they were over playing the Stratos at the end losing control but they've now just raced their first kit car. Ultima next?
scootz

posted on 29/11/09 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Overplayed it??? Talk about forcing errors just for the sheer hell of it! I bet Hawk are delighted with that level of 'exposure'!

I think if I was Ted Marlowe at Ultima I would stop championing for an appearance on the show... they'd probably have the GTR blowing up, falling apart, ploughing straight on at every corner, or something equally 'amusing'!!!

It's Evolution Baby!

Simon

posted on 29/11/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately for the TG tossers Ultima lap times are very public. I doubt an appearance on the show is likely, but here's hoping!

Getting quite bored of JC, and RH just seems to spend his time sucking up to him!

ATB

Simon

mistergrumpy

posted on 29/11/09 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
The Stratos was set up badly I think because it was diving and twitching but yeah they were forcing errors as Scootz said.
Still, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the car. I would love one.

morcus

posted on 29/11/09 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Would a factory hawk not have had a normal plate? I know its not likely but they could have acctually bought a really shoddy one as the break seizing looked fairly genuine.

When the new Delta was first released and there was talk of a come back for lancia (I think it was just before all the money dissapeared) the car was heavilly praised by TG magazine as a return to form by Lancia yet today they say its ugly.

Also, Chris Evans could have bought some pictures with him (He was a great guest though).

iank

posted on 29/11/09 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
When the new Delta was first released and there was talk of a come back for lancia (I think it was just before all the money dissapeared) the car was heavilly praised by TG magazine as a return to form by Lancia yet today they say its ugly.

Not seen the show (yet), doesn't sound like they have been very consistent though.

Seemed to like the looks of the original (real owners buy hawk panels for their repairs as they are exact replicas and fit rather better than the originals), and he comments on how they spin at the slightest drop of a hat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-2KHr8aPG4

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jeffw

posted on 30/11/09 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.stratossupersite.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7683

From the horses mouth.

Jasper

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah - I'm sorry, but if you give a car to TG in anything but perfect condition, then you're asking for trouble, it would have been better for them to have said 'No' than go through all of that.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

jeffw

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
They certainly made a meal of it but as you say if you provide a car to them which has handling issues then you deserve the results.

Has done Hawk no favours at all.

Colnago_Man

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw

Has done Hawk no favours at all.

Really? I think its brought the car to the attention of a huge audience. Okay so TG showed it in a bad light but the world now knows you can get a car that looked and sounded fantastic for £13K (+engine). I bet they get more orders over the next couple of weeks than they otherwise would have.

jeffw

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Possible so...however if the car had performed as it should and was knocking on the door of the lap times of some very expensive cars how many phone calls would Hawk have had then ?

twybrow

posted on 30/11/09 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
You can't deny the handling looked awful. It was locking tyres and sooo twitchy under braking. I thought Stiggy did well to get around in one piece - clearly needs some more tinkering time!
mookaloid

posted on 30/11/09 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
It looked like it was set up more for rallying to me. A car that was set up for circuits would have done a lot better

I want one though

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

MikeRJ

posted on 30/11/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
You can't deny the handling looked awful. It was locking tyres and sooo twitchy under braking. I thought Stiggy did well to get around in one piece - clearly needs some more tinkering time!

The original Stratos was an extremely twitchy and nervous car, looks like Hawk have faithfully captured it's traits

dhutch

posted on 30/11/09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Possible so...however if the car had performed as it should and was knocking on the door of the lap times of some very expensive cars how many phone calls would Hawk have had then ?

Yeah exactly.
- As said, TG is always going to be a light hearted bit of evenign entertainment build for laughs. But they do have a responsablity to be sensotive to people industrys and to portray a fair image i would say.

I was also help if they didnt give everyone who lend them a car such a unpleasent experience.

Daniel

woodster

posted on 30/11/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
reading what the guy who built it has to say it doesn't matter how it was delivered they were going to take the p%SS OUT OF IT .... thats interesting how many laps they filmed from different angles ....... it did a lap time of 1.48 chris evans did the same time in the top gear car
Nash

posted on 30/11/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of intesting points made in this thread. So here's my two penith worth:

We have slagged TG off in recent times for not being a Consumer advice programme. All concerned have stated the car was not in perfect order. If any manufacturer had provided a car in less then perfect condition they would have been kicked and we would have expected it. IMHO

They did sing the merits of the car, namely, price, appearance and character.

A point JeffW made earlier on this thread about how many enquires Hawk would have had if it was successful? My question from that is how many can they cope with? If they get 2 or 3 enquires and 1 or 2 sales then the exposure has been a success. More then that they would probably need to gear up for or extend delivery times (numbers are examples to prove my point, I don't know how many cars represent steady state production).

I too was angry about last night as it paints picture about Kitcars and the scene which could be seen as adverse. On reflection though it has put kitcars on the mainstream map for the first time in a long time and they have clearly moved on compared to Joe Public's perception. The reasonI say this is someone at work today said "You're building a kitcar aren't you? I saw TG last night and wasn't that kitcar on there wicked lookng. I didn't realise they could look like that?!"

So from that I think we are in danger of being over sensitive because the subject is so close to our hearts!

I know a lot of people on here have cars that would be well up the leader board on lap times and the Ultima is an obvious board topper but at least a Kit is now on the board!

Plus I can't wait for May to do a series and build one in maticulous detail!!!!

IMHO

..........Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.