Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What to look for in a helmet?
Northy

posted on 1/7/04 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
What to look for in a helmet?

Hi all,

With SVA test looming and only an aeroscreen for comfort I'm going to by a helmet at the weekend.

What should I look for? I'm hoping I won't need it to save my life, just stop bugs and shite getting in my eyes and mouth!

[Edit: wouldn't let me put s h i t ]

Cheers

[Edited on 1/7/04 by Northy]

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 1/7/04 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
one with a long chin, to stop the breeze on yours. gets very cold in the end. Bike ones tend to be worn leaning forward, hence better coverage. Someone also said get a light one, to save neck injury in an event...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

OX

posted on 1/7/04 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
make sure its light and comfy and doesnt put any pressure on any parts of your head.once youv found one you like try it on ,grab the chin piece at the front and move it up and down and left to right and make sure you head goes with it other wise at speed you'll be forever pulling it back down from over your eyes lol.i wouldnt have anything other than a shoei or an arai but i use mine every day,but if its just to stop flies getting in your teeth then any kite marked crash helmet should do the job

Mk-Ninja

posted on 1/7/04 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
As OX says but also as light as possible.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

r3nuf

posted on 1/7/04 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Defo agree with OX. Its worth spending a bit of money on a lid. I have a Shoei which was snug at first, but now fits perfectly after a bit of use. As a biker too , i chose my helmet for good design of ventilation and lack of wind noise. it can get pretty tiring if the helmet is noisy.

Cheers

Gary

spunky

posted on 1/7/04 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
As above but be carefull, if a helmet feels really comfy when new it may get loose with use You know what I mean.

I always went for Arai but tried a Suomy and recommend them, quite a bit cheaper than Arai to

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

andyps

posted on 1/7/04 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
It might just be to keep the bugs etc, but if you are buying one check the markings to find out if it is appropriate for track day requirements - may as well buy one that covers all needs.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Hellfire

posted on 1/7/04 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
It might just be to keep the bugs etc, but if you are buying one check the markings to find out if it is appropriate for track day requirements - may as well buy one that covers all needs.

The appropriate markings are the BS Kitemark for track days not just the EU compliant symbol. Apparently the BS Kite is acceptable but the EU is not... stupid rule but the laws which govern the tracks have not caught up yet allegedly!

Course I may be talking complete xollob.

garage19

posted on 2/7/04 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
There are two types of BS classification for helmets which are shown by a blue or a green sticker.

Can't remember off hand which one is the best, but these days not many helmets do not have the higher rating. Maybe only the £30 real cheapy ones.

When I was racing it was always the gold ACU sticker that the marshalls checked. And it was these that also got you on the track at track days. Being the Auto Cycle Union Standard, I'm not sure what the car boys would think of it. They would also never let you out if your helmet was three years or older.

The thing to remember is that everybodies heads are different shapes. I have been told many times by helmet technicians at race tracks that a £150 helmet that fits you properly will protect you ten times better than a £400 one that doesn't. A new helmet should be quite tight with uniform pressure all over your bonce. Its all about distributing forces and it cant do that if only a couple of small parts of your head have contact.

Northy

posted on 2/7/04 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Wow , thanks guys. Didn't know there was as much to know.

How much should I be looking to spend?

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 2/7/04 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garage19
There are two types of BS classification for helmets which are shown by a blue or a green sticker.

Can't remember off hand which one is the best

the blue one is approved for racing

garage19

posted on 2/7/04 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
£150 will get you something pretty decent.

There have been a lot of new comers to the helmet game since I last bought one.

I always liked AGVs but only because they fitted my head shape.

Shoeis were always dead comfortable and felt solidly built.

Expensive Arais are in a different league of comfort and most top riders that choose their own lid use them.

My house mate who rides in British Supersport uses KBC helmets. they are fairly new but he seems to rate them, and has tested them a few times as well!

Like i said best bet is to forget the colours and the brands and go for the one that fits you best.

kingr

posted on 2/7/04 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone got any opinions on Roof helmets? I think they look pretty cool and was thinking of getting one, I seem to remember it was called the Daytona.

Kingr

garage19

posted on 2/7/04 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
They won the MCN award for best bit of kit so can't be too bad!

Look pretty cool an all!

David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/04 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I recently bought a Caberg, as I wanted a flip-front helmet. Also a MCN 'best in class' winner! That was around £130-£150 or so.

If I was riding a bike I would buy something better, but this should be fine for the car (I was looking for a good thick visor as well).

David

[Edited on 2/7/04 by David Jenkins]

Jasper

posted on 2/7/04 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah - fit is the most important thing, go to a good bike shop and they'll size one for you.

I bought an Aria from Motorcycle City in London some years back when I rode bikes, they offered a lifetime free re-padding service for the interior, and a safety check after a serious knock to make sure it's ok.

Alan B

posted on 2/7/04 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about the UK regs...but over here the main difference between a bike rated helmet or a car racing one is in the lining materials....there is less need for a bike helmet to be fireproof...
David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/04 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
It would be nice if you could get a car helmet with similar visibility to the ones used by hang-glider pilots - some bike helmets can be a bit "tunnel-vision" (the other reason for buying the one I've got - reasonably wide visor hole).

DJ

spunky

posted on 2/7/04 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Roof Boxer helmet with pure black visor for when I'm posing on the supermoto. They look the dogs but TBH I wouldn't want to rely on it in a big getoff.
Also have my paragliding helmet, you have got loads of visability and they are incredibly light but IMHO would look a little silly driving a car in one....

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

garage19

posted on 5/7/04 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thats a good point about the lining.

I remember a conversation I had with a friend who races cars. He was telling me how much money he saved on his Simpson helmet by buying it direct from the states. He was saying he only bought simpsons because of their Nomex fireproof lining.

He said a friend of his was racing in South Africa when his car went up in flames. He got out ok but a blast of flames caught his helmet lining on fire and the nylon melted and stuck to his face leaving serious burns and scaring!

Something to bear in mind I guess!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.