Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Weight of car.
Mark H

posted on 13/5/03 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Weight of car.

Right, it appears to me that estimated and actual weights for the humble locost differ from the very light to the downright obese.

My car (according to the SVA weighbridge) is 810kg, split 50/50 front/rear axles. Take my fat arse out of the equation (95kg) that leaves 715kg. This is lardy by most peoples standard.

This is about 115kg more than the estimates on this site, and 165kg more than i wanted.

so (for anyone whos got a real weight measurement):

1. What is your weight (and what chassis/engine you got)?

2. Any ideas why mine is 'kin heavy, and areas i can check?

It is a XFlow Stuart Taylor chassis, plastic seats, no windscreen, etc but does have Sierra front disc setup (look pretty heavy) and pretty big alloys.

I think the measure was knackered, as when i had my retest the weighbridge was being sorted out (it wasn't working).

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

Wadders

posted on 13/5/03 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmmh it does sound a tad on the high side, i reckon the easiest way to check it, is to go to a scrap metal dealers and see if they will weigh it on their weighbridge.

i]Originally posted by Mark H
Right, it appears to me that estimated and actual weights for the humble locost differ from the very light to the downright obese.

My car (according to the SVA weighbridge) is 810kg, split 50/50 front/rear axles. Take my fat arse out of the equation (95kg) that leaves 715kg. This is lardy by most peoples standard.

This is about 115kg more than the estimates on this site, and 165kg more than i wanted.

so (for anyone whos got a real weight measurement):

1. What is your weight (and what chassis/engine you got)?

2. Any ideas why mine is 'kin heavy, and areas i can check?

It is a XFlow Stuart Taylor chassis, plastic seats, no windscreen, etc but does have Sierra front disc setup (look pretty heavy) and pretty big alloys.

I think the measure was knackered, as when i had my retest the weighbridge was being sorted out (it wasn't working).

Cheers,

Mark

locodude

posted on 13/5/03 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Book Locost, steel floor, 1300 x-flow, 4 speed box, no screen, grp seats, RS wheels c/w 185-60/13 tyres. June 2001 at SVA 518kg. Design weight 668kg.
Now very different but not been weighed lately.
On a different track, all you BEC boys may be interested to know that my car at SVA was a virtual 50/50 split, so all of you have put the engine as far back as poss to 'aid in weight distribution' are probably going the wrong way!! I've just changed the x-flow for a ZX9R and it's a lot lighter on the front end now, time for a spring change I think!

Findlay234

posted on 13/5/03 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Anthony pralet says his stuart taylor locost with toyota 1600cc twincam (4age) weighed in at 450kgs at sva?? i have no reason for him lying so it looks like the sva centres have a problem weighing in the cars.
Findlay234

posted on 14/5/03 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I weighed my chassis in at about 100kgs including wishbones. Then my engine(4age) will weigh 155kgs including gearbox and all ancilliaries. (80kgs for the complete head and block without starter and alt and manifolds) Thats an actual figure and not just a guess. so that makes 255kgs. the rest cannot weigh more than 300kgs................. can it???
Mark H

posted on 14/5/03 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys - I thought as much! I'll get it reweighed!

Mark

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

kingr

posted on 14/5/03 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Having a large fuel tank could increase the weight quite conciderably, but it's not going to account for that sort of a difference. Useless fact for you all - a full fuel load on a jumbo jet accounts for over half of the take off weight!

Kingr

Jasper

posted on 14/5/03 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
PTM - yes, I think moving the engine back was a mistake - shouldn't have listened to Jon on that one! But it does mean the prop sits at a better angle. And I've got room for a spare wheel in the front as well!!

Spent 3 hours spiral wrapping my wires yesterday, now THATS a dull job, but it sure looks pretty now!

Simon

posted on 14/5/03 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
You may find that the weighbridges are reasonably accurate when putting 30 tons on, but not so good at the lower end.

Just a thought.

ATB

Simon

ned

posted on 14/5/03 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
luckily a friend of mine has bought a set of digital readout car scales for his race car to help set the corner weights. guess where I'll be going if i ever need my car weighing!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.