Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: which sierra???
punker

posted on 11/6/02 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
which sierra???

i'm currently selling my scirocco to get a sierra for the wife to use while i get the chassis built, what i need to know is (as i'm planning a IRS locost) which sierra should i go for? what age? which engine? which gearbox?......any help would be appreciated. thanks ben
interestedparty

posted on 11/6/02 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I think the consensus is that the 2litre SOHC pinto engine is the one to have. I think these all came with 5speed boxes. In selecting a donor I would be looking for good mechanical condition and regular servicing, ideally a low ownership, rather than any specific features. Some people favour the rear disc versions but I don't believe this is necessary, the drums work just fine in Locost scenarios. Getting a basic version will usually mean simple loom mods, less wires to trace/remove.
In the end I expect it will come down to what good condition cars are available. I bought a non-runner recently (not a Sierra), I'll avoid doing that again unless the price is too good to miss
John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

punker

posted on 11/6/02 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
thanks. dont suppose you know what years the 2.0 pinto was used?
bob

posted on 11/6/02 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Y reg to E reg

James

posted on 17/6/02 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I guess maybe the carb' 2.0 ran only until then but the injection SOHC certainly was used for longer.
For a start mine is 1989 'F' reg and that is the first year that Sierra's had the '205' SOHC Pinto engine.
For a picture see
http://www.btinternet.com/~megatron/part6-pic8.jpg

And I'm sure the injection SOHC carried on for a couple of years- I have a feeling until 1992 although I'm willing to be corrected!
:-)

hth,

James

BTW, the build history on this excellent website only runs until April last year- anyone know if 'Ironman' ever finished his Locost?

bob

posted on 17/6/02 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
After E reg there was a mix n match,could be pinto,cvh,dohc.
So the easy way is to look under the bonnet i suppose.

punker

posted on 18/6/02 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
is there much of a problem using a dohc engine? and is there any probs using a saphire as a donor?
James

posted on 18/6/02 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
As John (Interested Party) wrote in reply to your first post:

---------------------------------------------
I think the consensus is that the 2litre SOHC pinto engine is the one to have.
---------------------------------------------

There's differing opinion on the quality of the DOHC engine- many people I've heard say it sucks but others have been more complimentary.
I think one of the main deciding factors is that it's even bigger (and heavier!) than the Pinto (which is saying something!) and so is probably harder to fit under the bonnet and it's extra weight may well mean it has lower power:weight than the Pinto too.

I've used a Sapphire and it seems fine.

HTH,

James

punker

posted on 18/6/02 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote

punker

posted on 18/6/02 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
cheers

ben

jmbillings

posted on 29/6/02 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hey, Ben, you sound like the Ben that is Steve Briance's mate... did he give you the pics from Newark yet?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Cheffy

posted on 10/7/02 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Further to the original question of which Sierra? Are there any particular problems with using the XR4i, only I've been offered one with good engine and running gear but knackered body. In particular, would there be any special difficulties fitting the V6 engine.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Max

posted on 11/7/02 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Which Sierra's have discs at the back with LSD? (Suitable to fit to a MK Indy chassis)
bob

posted on 11/7/02 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Max
The 4x4s are LSD,there is one for sale on this list if you hurry

Max

posted on 11/7/02 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Bob,

Sadly it'll have to wait for the minute as I'm moving house and I've promised by better half not to buy any more cars/car stuff before we move.

Ta for the info!

Fatboy Dave

posted on 11/7/02 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Further to the original question of which Sierra? Are there any particular problems with using the XR4i,

A few problems there Cheffy. The XR4i, despite being an XR, has an open diff and drum brakes (which kinda defeats the point a bit). The gearbox has a 170mm input shaft, compared to the normal 150mm jobbie, which means that you are either going to put the engine forward or the box back in the chassis, neither of which is really good (assuming you want to use a pinto engine).

As for fitting the V6, well, it can and has been done, it makes a great noise (and I REALLY like the motor), but the problem here is that it weighs an absoloute ton, and in standard form, it's a bit stingy with the power it produces.

There's nowt to stop you using it though, it'll still make a pretty nippy(tm) car that'll happily urinate all over most things at the traffic light GP

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Cheffy

posted on 11/7/02 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dave.

I hear what you're saying about the weight factor, but as you say, you can't beat the noise of a 'V'. Think this is the way I'm gonna go, especially if it's gonna keep things simple for my first build.

Being a complete novice at this, can you tell me what 'open diff' means, does it mean 'standard' diff as opposed to limited slip diff? Also, I've read on a couple of other posts that it is not really essential to have discs all round on a locost, so presumably a could use the drums off the donor car.

Thanks in advance for any further help.

Mart

punker

posted on 14/8/02 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
J.billings.....yes i am that mate of stuffers.
interestedparty

posted on 14/8/02 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Being a complete novice at this, can you tell me what 'open diff' means, does it mean 'standard' diff as opposed to limited slip diff? Also, I've read on a couple of other posts that it is not really essential to have discs all round on a locost, so presumably a could use the drums off the donor car.

Open diff = standard diff

Read discs are not necessary in a locost as the fronts do the majority of the braking. They do look nicer through your 5-spoke wheels, though.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

johnston

posted on 14/8/02 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
remember if the bodyworks knackered or the struts/bushes etc are fecked it doesnt matter u dont need them so dont say why u really want it and use those things as points to get the price down

stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/8/02 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

As for fitting the V6, well, it can and has been done, it makes a great noise (and I REALLY like the motor), but the problem here is that it weighs an absoloute ton, and in standard form, it's a bit stingy with the power it produces.

My car has a v6 cologne from a 2.4 litre e reg granada. 130hp as std. the 2.9 version has 150. comes with a type 9 box and not too bad to fit.

you can see pics of it on TOL if you are interested

atb

steve

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.