Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A few Quick ??¿¿¿???'s
semi42

posted on 12/8/02 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
A few Quick ??¿¿¿???'s

I just got my dono (2litre cortina) heres a few questions .
1 I accept that the steering rack will need shortening, Is it a simple case of cutting aand re-tapping the threads?
Where/ who can I get suspension brackets and bushes from?
I'm informed I can use 2 Jag IRS coilovers for the front suspension, will I be abe to use jag IRS coilovers for the rear?
what mods are required to use the cortina's steering column.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 12/8/02 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Steering rack - AFAIK most people shorten the actual rack bit of it rather than just the track rods. Can't see why your approach wouldn't work though (correct me someone if I'm wrong)

Steering column will need to be collapsable. I would guess the Cortina one is too old so you may need a Sierra one?

Suspension brackets can be got from merlin@locostbuilders.co.uk or dunc@locostbuilders.co.uk. Bushes I'm trying to find out myself!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 12/8/02 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think the threads are cut-I think they're "rolled On" i.e they're placed on the surface of the rod by rolling, you can't extend them

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 12/8/02 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
its the actual rack thats shortened NOT the end rods.

The important thing to get proper bump steer or lack off it to get the rack pivots in the right plane to suit the suspension movement.

On my car, thats 6 ins wider, I had to move the rack right to the front of the car behind the rad to use it as std, un modified.

A lot of hassle.

atb

steve

Jasper

posted on 13/8/02 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
For bushes I used MK Engineerings' but you've then got to get the right sized tubes for the wishbones - and then drive yourself nuts trying to fit them....lots of lube..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.