Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost off-road buggy ??
RabNo1

posted on 16/8/02 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Locost off-road buggy ??

I just went to amazon to order my locost book and noticed ron had another out "how to build an off-road buggy for £100". So i ordered both (i just love being off-road :-). Was wondering if anyone has bought the book or built one and if so whats it like (a pic would be great). I also got the off-road book so i can practice my welding (since it wont need to go through an sva) before i start on my 7...
Alan B

posted on 16/8/02 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I built an off-road buggy before my current project.

http://www.desicodesign.com/calabrina.htm

Bit more than 100 quid, but it may give you some ideas

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 16/8/02 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hope u used my 'books' link!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RabNo1

posted on 16/8/02 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Was that a buggy built from the book or just one u made of ure own design? If its one from the book is a beetle the doner u need to use ??
ChrisW

posted on 16/8/02 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure Alan's buggy was his own design. In the book you use a motorbike donor. Going to order myself a copy now...

Chris

My gaff my rules

RabNo1

posted on 16/8/02 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Mmm a motorbike engine cool, thats kinda what i was thinking about.. I just thought id get the book since amazon were doing a deal with it and the sportscar book. Me and a few m8s have been thinking about building a buggy for a long time know and the book will give us a bit of a kick to get started..
Alan B

posted on 17/8/02 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm pretty sure Alan's buggy was his own design

Yes Chris, you're right.

The stock 1600VW is only about 58HP, but it weighs about 1250 pounds and is pretty lively (for off-road at least) I'd imagine a 100HP plus bike engine in about 900 to 1000 pounds would be very fast indeed

David Jenkins

posted on 17/8/02 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
The Ron Champoin Buggy turned up at the Locost area at Newark.

Looks a nice-enough little thing - and you stand a fighting chance of actually making it for £100!

If post a picture if I can find one (I did take one, I know I did!)

David

RabNo1

posted on 18/8/02 at 01:48 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know if the plans for the buggy include suspension? Already got my engine planed, a biltako(spelling??) 370, its a meaty, 2 stroke, air cooled engine from an off-road bike :-)
merlin

posted on 18/8/02 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
Nice buggy Alan! Conrod, check Alans pics and then retract your thread about my cable ties...this guys got a PINK STEERING WHEEL!!!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

Alan B

posted on 18/8/02 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
.this guys got a PINK STEERING WHEEL!!!

Damn! I knew someone would spot that!
In my defence though it was very cheap, I think they'd already sold the non-gay coloured ones, and couldn't shift the pink ones

However, since then it got crashed and the wheel suffered, so it now has a respectable black one

theconrodkid

posted on 18/8/02 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
See me in court big boy
merlin

posted on 18/8/02 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recal my posting quoting that the cable ties were cheap hence why they were fitted and once noticed they were changed for black ones! How many other builders are buying pink bits and seeing how long they can get away with it!! In my defense your honor at least mine were hidden in the boot not right in ya face like a steering wheel

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.