Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Torque Wrench- cheap or good?
James

posted on 20/8/02 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Torque Wrench- cheap or good?

What with engine going back together now it's time to buy a decent torque wrench. My father's 25 year old 'bendy bar' one strikes me as far too inaccurate for my highly-tuned, NASA precision engineered engine- or the Pinto I'm actaully gonna use for that matter!

Usually I'm a massive proponent of buying the best tools I can afford but in this case I can't see I'm likely to do another 100 head bolts in the next 10 years so is buying an expensive one worth it?

The highest quality looking I've seen is made by Teng and is about £53. (40-210Nm)
At the other end is ScrewFix's one for £10.49 no idea of quality or who makes it. (28-210Nm)
And Machine Mart want £17.60 for their Clarke one. (28-210Nm)

An ex-mechanic mate of mine says he always buys Teng stuff as it's worth it. Saying that though, he's so strong he's snapped 5 breaker bars (the last two were welded to add strength) so obviously his tools see a little harder use than mine ever will!

So, basically, is it worth buying the most expensive or should I 'make do' with a cheaper one.

Also, am I ever likely to need less than 40Nm or more than 210Nm.

Any info' greatfully recieved.

Thanks a lot,

James

ChrisW

posted on 20/8/02 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a great believer in the Halfords 'professional' range. Ok they may not be up to Teng quality but all bits are covered by a lifetime guarantee so just taken them back and get a new one if you snap anything - and they're open all weekend which is inevitably when you'll snapping things!

Think the torque wrenches I've got cost £30 each but that might be wrong.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
UncleFista

posted on 20/8/02 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, the Halfords Professional range are very good if not the cheapest around. I've just bought "another" (Kamasa ?) torque wrench for £20, just remember to "undo" it before storing it, otherwise it loses its accuracy, ask RoadkillUK ;(

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

merlin

posted on 20/8/02 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
The cheapest way is to borrow mine James! You can pick it up any time, just drop me a line!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnston

posted on 20/8/02 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
ive had the clickers but i still prefre to use me bendy bar personal thing i guess but the springs in a clicker can go out o calibration too easy for my likin

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.