Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: First proper drive.
paulf

posted on 19/5/04 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
First proper drive.

I have just had a great time driving my car around a disused local airfield.
Trailered it there and then spent a couple of hours driving around dodging the potholes.
The performance is great even with just a 1600 crossflow and i managed to check the brake balance which is good using a Seirra master cylinder and m16 fronts with 20mm rear cylinders.
My main concern was the steering self centreing .If i put on full lock it just slowly centres up at slow speed but maybe will be better with more pressure in the front tyres.
The other problem i have is that the speedo seems to be reading slow, as even flat out in third i was only seeing 60 on the speedo and am sure i was going faster than that , can anyone tell me roughly how fast 5000 revs is in third gear with a 3.89 diff?
Apart from these points everything worked well and nothing fell off or broke despite hitting a few large pot holes.
Paul.

flak monkey

posted on 19/5/04 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
You should be doing 62mph....according to gear calc! (It doesnt matter whether you have a type 9 or a 4 speed, 3rd gear is the same ratio...)

It seems quicker because you are sitting so low...

David Rescued attachment speed copy.jpg
Rescued attachment speed copy.jpg

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/5/04 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
nice news that you have it running! Would that be desborough airfield, thats somewhere near the 2 scrappies?

If so, do you need any permissions, or did you just do it anyway?

atb

steve

paulf

posted on 19/5/04 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve yes it was Desboro airfield, there is a grain storage facility there and a guy on duty in a portacabin to organise it. I asked last week and he said that it was fine as long as i was out of the way of any deliverys.He said lots of people use it top test cars and learning to drive.
the only problem is it is really rough in places but there are a few good areas to be able to put your foot down.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
nice news that you have it running! Would that be desborough airfield, thats somewhere near the 2 scrappies?

If so, do you need any permissions, or did you just do it anyway?

atb

steve

paulf

posted on 19/5/04 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks i may have been doing a bit more than 5000 revs however, as was revving out in 3rd and into 4th.I think the speedo is low right through the range but gets progressively worse with higher speeds.
Will have to try following with another car next week to work out discrepancy and then adjust the gearbox pinion.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
You should be doing 62mph....according to gear calc! (It doesnt matter whether you have a type 9 or a 4 speed, 3rd gear is the same ratio...)

It seems quicker because you are sitting so low...

David

flowdan

posted on 30/11/12 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
i'm interested in using Desborough airfield do do a bit of drifting and doughnuts etc for a film i am making at university, is there anyway of me contacting them to ask permission as i am a bit of a drive away. also is there someone there all the time and what is the likelyhood of me turning up and letting me do it?

cheers.

paulf

posted on 30/11/12 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
There used to be a skid training company there , they used a section of wide concrete at one end of the field it may be worth googling skid training centre at Desborough. I rode over there on my bike last week and found there was a barrier on the approach road and signs warning about unauthorised access , there was no sins of activity apart from some kids from the local pikey encampment on quad bikes who were unchallenged.You can access from this end of the site which is off the Stoke Albany road as there was not a barrier there although the road is a bit rough and could always make a quick exit if required.
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by flowdan
i'm interested in using Desborough airfield do do a bit of drifting and doughnuts etc for a film i am making at university, is there anyway of me contacting them to ask permission as i am a bit of a drive away. also is there someone there all the time and what is the likelyhood of me turning up and letting me do it?

cheers.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.