Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost Westy?
strugrat

posted on 21/5/04 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Locost Westy?

Hi guys,

I am new to this car building thing and plan to order my kit towards the end of june. Originally I had been looking at all the usual suspects (MK, GTS, Mac1 and Tiger). But then I stumbled across the Westfield site. It seems that the SEi or the SDV kits from westfield are similarly priced and have pretty much the same stuff in as the MK etc (albeit not everything and not quite as good value). It seems that you could do these westfield kits for the same price as an ST (5-6k). Which leads me to the question?

Could I order one of these SEi kits or SDV kits etc and then raid the MK parts bin for alot of the othet stuff etc thus keeping the cost down?

This must be too good to be true. So what am I missing?

Someone please enlighten me!

David Jenkins

posted on 21/5/04 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
I have a lot of respect for Westfield - they make good products and their after-sales is better than just about everyone else... but normally you have to pay a premium for this extra service.
Maybe the Locost phenomenon has affected their sales and they're trying to compete!

David

flak monkey

posted on 21/5/04 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hey there....

If you went to some of those manufacturers they wouldnt be too keen on selling you parts for a West"£$d or a Cateringvan.

I think you will find their cars are also different size to the Locost (i may be wrong).

Also see here for the opinions of people here about Cateringvan owners

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=2287

i think similar has been said about west%^"£d owners!

Why would you want to do what you suggest anyway. Its far better to chose a kit from one manufacturer, then you know all the bits you get will fit (unless you buy a Tiger ). Sticking with MK, GTS, Luego etc you cant go wrong....

Cheers
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

strugrat

posted on 21/5/04 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
OK so maybe they arent that happy with selling seats, steering wheels etc to me but im sure I could get hold of em somehow.

It still seems to me that one westy kit + donor parts and an engine + say seats gauges, s/wheel and screen etc from mac1 equals one westfield.

But with excellent customer service and backup (im not dissing the other companies but have heard some horror stories on here)

By my reckoning about 750-1k more than what an MK would cost me to build.

Still fell like im missing something

Anyone else?

Also can you tell the difference between a de dion and live axle set up?

flak monkey

posted on 21/5/04 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
If you wanna build a West%$^d then by all means go ahead...

However as this is a forum for Locosts, the advice you will get here is build a Locost from one of the locost manufacturers as already mentioned.

You would probably end up spending quite a lot more building a westy, on all those extra bits you buy...but then again you buy them for a locost too...

Sera

strugrat

posted on 21/5/04 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks for your advice. I may do some more research into this.

If I do build a locost westy then ill let you know.

jonti

posted on 21/5/04 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Go for it strugrat mate........ Westfield, Caterham owners (despite what some have to say on here about them)...anyone who builds their own motor of whatever breed...has my respect.

And, even if you do go with the Westfield option and you need advice, I'm sure there are many on here (me included) who will do their best to assist you.

Cheers

[Edited on 21/5/04 by jonti]

OFROK

SeaBass

posted on 21/5/04 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Why in particular do you want a Westfield as opposed to a decent MK etc?? I realise westfield are more recognised but is there some functionality reason??

Cheers

David Jenkins

posted on 21/5/04 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Easy-to-fit parts, trim, etc. No creative faffing about required, as found in most Locost projects...

Reason I didn't go for one is that I couldn't justify paying money in big lumps for what is basically a big-boy's toy. This argument is less valid when comparing Westies against a Luego or MK.

Don't get me wrong about this, though - if you want a quick-to-build car then a Westie is good, as it's a big Meccano set. If you want to incorporate your own ideas, show some individuality, or generally do your own thing then the Locost route is favourite.

If I was starting again then I'd probably still go the Locost route.

David

ned

posted on 21/5/04 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
westie might have a bette resale value as it's a bigger name and is at least heard of by non kit car enthusiasts, just a thought..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greggors84

posted on 21/5/04 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I looked at the SDV from westie, when i was deciding which kit to get. I worked out that for our 5k limit we would struggle finish the car. Where as an indy left a fair amount of money, so we could make it a more individual car, and not similar to what other westie SDV owners had.
Maybe with an extra 1000 u might be able to make into your own car, if i had the extra money i may have gone with it, im not entirely convice on the shape of the westies though but im sure its just me.
Whatever you buy im sure people on here will be willing to help as there are people on here that have owned westies and also people spent alot more than 6k on a locost.

[Edited on 21/5/04 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

ned

posted on 21/5/04 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
greggors,

its isn't just you, i'm not convinced on the shape. The one piece tub/rear end and the fluted bonnet line isn't me.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
strugrat

posted on 21/5/04 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Right. Thanks guys. I know the westy will be more expensive than an MK that stands to reason. But my thinking is that maybe it is worth it for the aftersales support for cock ups etc that you will receive?

Also I will need a full windscreen, wipers etc. Are these available for an MK? I havent found them as yet?

Greggors, I too am looking at the SDV kit but am wanting to go the zetec route. Did you enquire as to wether westy would do an SDV chassis with zetec mounts? In the brochure it says for the SOHC only?

Too much choice!!!!!!!

Mk-Ninja

posted on 21/5/04 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Got to say I agree with Ned on the one peice rear, I think it makes the car look awfull.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

greggors84

posted on 21/5/04 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt ask about the zetec, because i had a pinto waiting to go in, i wanted the car build before i put a more complicated engine in.
MK dont do screens, they recommened the lolocost one, even though i dont think it fits too well. Im sure you could get some zetec mounts from MK that would mount the engine in roughly the same place as a pinto so wouldnt be too much trouble.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

strugrat

posted on 21/5/04 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm need to think about this some more.
Westy would be nice but seeing as alot of the things I want are non standard westfield (i.e. R1 engine if BEC) maybe it would be cheaper with MK (but no windscreen really niggles at me)
I will ask about the zetec mounts too. And maybe some bike ones also.

Which also leads me to BEC or CEC? For a first timer on a budget?

Lastly do MK do mounts for an R1 engine or does the builder have to make there own?

flak monkey

posted on 21/5/04 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Car engine if you are on a budget and are a novice...IMHO

Sera

greggors84

posted on 21/5/04 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
MK do a cradle for a bike engine, it goes across the engine bay and supports the engine like that.
Couldnt find a picture, but i know somepeople have pics in their archive of the cradle.

Also if you are on a budget you can get a tuned pinto for a couple of hundred quid, this will drop straight in using parts from the sierra. A bike engine needs all sorts of different bits to make it fit in a car. Im sticking in the pinto for the moment and then will go for a more exotic engine probs not a bike engine as i prefer car engines in cars.

[Edited on 21/5/04 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

andyps

posted on 21/5/04 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I think Ned is right - the re-sale value is almost certainly higher on a Westfield.

Also, I have seen Westfield with Zetec engines, but I don't know how standard that would be for the SDV kit.

The looks have to be personal, the only problem I can see is that if you damage a rear wing there is a large amount to replace.

Westfield have a good reputation for service, but can be expensive for parts. Have a look on the westfield sports car club site - they have a forum and I am sure you can get advice on there that is just as biased as that on here

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

elysee

posted on 22/5/04 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
locost westy

What's all the fuss about Westfield parts will fit Locost chassis as the Locost is a copy of a Westfield with a different skin???

Brian

Stu16v

posted on 22/5/04 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi strugrat. You can find the Westfield forum here. There are plenty of folk on there building SDV's with Zetec's in, and will be able to offer help and advise. Also, stuff quite often comes up for sale that is Westfield specific (windscreens, heaters, dashes etc) which will go a long way to helping with the budget. And finally, the site contains the info on knowing the alternative to the "Factory' product helps too. A hundred quid can be saved by buying the same rad elsewhere for a start...

But all said and done, dont underestimate how much building any kit will cost you-whether it has the Locost name attached to it or not.

Finally, it is personal choice, but having driven this type of car with aeroscreen and windscreen, I would choose aeroscreen everytime. A windscreen is just extra drag, weight, expense, and hassle IMHO. But please try yourself, go and look at some cars, whether it be factory or owners, and blag some rides if possible. Only you can decide...
HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

NS Dev

posted on 23/5/04 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Have to say I did the same thing and I really came down to either Stuart Taylor of Westy, and the clincher was two things, I prefer the shape and original look of the ST (no wide GRP sides etc) and I can get all the difficult (i.e. time consuming) to make bits from ST as low prices, whereas the basic Westy kit is cheap enough, but the bits you buy thereafter are obviously where Westfield's profits come from!
Peteff

posted on 23/5/04 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
the Locost is a copy of a Westfield with a different skin?

Hi elysee, I think from the records of their attempt to stop Haynes publishing Rons' book you'll find it was the other way round . At my SVA a zetec 1800 engined westy was being done at the same time. I was talking to him about bits, and found out his exhaust had cost more than my car. He had bought everything at once and built the car in 2 months.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

billy

posted on 23/5/04 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
dear as f***k

well i got robbed by w*******d when i thought i would use there engine mounts for my 16v they were about £60 per side i think.......ouch.....trouble is when you start off then they have got yah by the balls.cos its all the little things you will need only from them that realy bumps the price up

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.