Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Spotted.. at Santa Pod.. Rotary engined Tiger
stevegough

posted on 23/8/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Spotted.. at Santa Pod.. Rotary engined Tiger

Took the Grandkids to Santa Pod (Rotorstock 7) pod link

There I came across an interesting take on the lotus 7 replica brigade, but this one was fitted with a modded Mazda wankel engine - I managed to get a quick few words with the owner who was trying to sort a fault - the car is a Tiger chassis - I was shocked at the fact the car appeared to be registered (note the plate just visible in the photo). Apparently, though the number plate serves as the trailer's rear plate!

Anybody else tried a rotary engine - they are quite compact units.

[Edited on 23/8/10 by stevegough]

Sorry - forgot the photos....

Description
Description

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/rotary eng tiger Large.jpg

[Edited on 23/8/10 by stevegough]

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

madteg

posted on 23/8/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Tried to put RX7 Turbo in mine but turbo would have been right where the brake master cylinder is, so did not bother.
stevegough

posted on 23/8/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
and I'll try again...
Description
Description

Luego Locost C20XE.

bmseven

posted on 23/8/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
It's a brilliant engine and extremely tuneable (600bhp+) but is also an expensive bit of kit have a look at secondhand rx7 values. But bolting a big turbo on a std one should give you 250ish bhp

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

expatkiwi

posted on 23/8/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has been done for a while and has had the odd outing with a 13.4 at Santa pod last year and I would like to get into the 12s in october. I had a best finish of 15th overall and 3rd in class at Abindon carnival this year
http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/kiwimazda/?action=view&current=IMG_2515.jpg

I have decided to call my Westfeild "The Caterhammer" Hopefully it will

stevegough

posted on 23/8/10 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I only saw one of his runs, It didn't go well, due to some technical problem, but as I recall, it was 14 point something....

What about that exhaust system?

Luego Locost C20XE.

expatkiwi

posted on 23/8/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ant may correct me on this but its all to do with the pulse coming down the exhaust as to where you put the silencers and how for from the engine befor you join the pipes into one(basicly)
i think his looks good where it is and solves the problem that I had with mine as I needed 120"(yep 10 feet before they joined) Although I think the ones on the Tiger may cause a bit of drag where they are but with these cars and what we all do with them it can also be a bit of function over form some times. All in a good effort for first time out. You always get teething problems.

stevegough

posted on 24/8/10 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by expatkiwi
Ant may correct me on this but its all to do with the pulse coming down the exhaust as to where you put the silencers and how for from the engine befor you join the pipes into one(basicly)
i think his looks good where it is and solves the problem that I had with mine as I needed 120"(yep 10 feet before they joined) Although I think the ones on the Tiger may cause a bit of drag where they are but with these cars and what we all do with them it can also be a bit of function over form some times. All in a good effort for first time out. You always get teething problems.

I wasn't actually referring to your exhaust, but the one on the Tiger - it has the standard silencer on the side, then a huge final box over the boot - the pipe exits the silencer, then goes through the rear arch and enters the rear box at the centre!

Luego Locost C20XE.

bimbleuk

posted on 24/8/10 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
quote:

I wasn't actually referring to your exhaust, but the one on the Tiger - it has the standard silencer on the side, then a huge final box over the boot - the pipe exits the silencer, then goes through the rear arch and enters the rear box at the centre!

They can be very loud when NA as you end up with very large ports to get more power. Much like having a cam with lots of overlap so you get lots of combustion noise straight out the exhaust. Once you heard a few you can tell the very distinctive noise of a heavily modified rotary.

tomgregory2000

posted on 24/8/10 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
and its a 3 rota conversion

[Edited on 24/8/10 by tomgregory2000]

expatkiwi

posted on 24/8/10 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
quote:

I am well aware of this and I do apologize if me post read the wrong way.
Without asking Ant I can only guess that the exhaust on the TIGER has been built to use the same lengths of the factory RX8 one thus no change in back pressure.

As for the 3 rotor. The RX8 is a twin rotor engine the same as every rx7. Each rotor has 3 sides.

Ivan

posted on 24/8/10 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
They are a very popular motor to fit in se7ens in SA - mainly the turbo 13B's.

Seems to me if a se7en here doesn't have a Toyota 4AGE motor variant it has a rotary - BEC's are almost non-existent here.

expatkiwi

posted on 24/8/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
They are a very popular motor to fit in se7ens in SA - mainly the turbo 13B's.

Seems to me if a se7en here doesn't have a Toyota 4AGE motor variant it has a rotary - BEC's are almost non-existent here.

Same in NZ. If it isnt japanese it doesnt go in. Simples

Antnicuk

posted on 24/8/10 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
it is my cousins car, i took it to rotorstock for a shake down as it has just been built and my rotary powered stylus wasnt quite ready. It is a stock RX8 engine and box. It is a track car and will never be IVA'd.

The exhuast is an after market RX8 header that has the lengths extended to protrude out of the body work before merging. The side silencer is a universal unit which is then connected to an aftermarket RX8 rear silencer. We wanted it to be quiet enough to get on any track without any grief.

The stock RX8 makes 230 bhp if you are lucky, this made 251 with a Motec Ecu and the custom exhaust so we were happy.

The suspension needs tweaking but it was great fun on the spring circuit at santa pod.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

stevegough

posted on 24/8/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I knew somebody on here would recognise it!

Luego Locost C20XE.

Antnicuk

posted on 24/8/10 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
it was me that chatted to you .... and driving (attempting) in the above pics

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

expatkiwi

posted on 25/8/10 at 05:15 AM Reply With Quote
Cool pics Ant

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.