Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Workshop/Garage (or rather lack of one!)
cmfowler

posted on 2/9/02 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Workshop/Garage (or rather lack of one!)

Second question

I have no garage or workshop, whats the best way to get round this? E.g. renting somewhere

Cheers

Alan B

posted on 2/9/02 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well, it will really test your resolve, that's for sure.

I'd be looking strongly at:

location - you'll get fed up easily if it's a long way away.
security - You'll have some decent bits you'd prefer to keep.
power - not impossible without, but close!

Lots of cars have been built in rented garages/shops, but it has it's challenges.

Good luck.

Very good topic BTW.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 3/9/02 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Second question

I have no garage or workshop, whats the best way to get round this? E.g. renting somewhere

Cheers

Me neither, but then I don't have welding gear etc. either. I have a garage at home but most unfairly I've been banned from doing anything useful there!!!

So, I started a welding class at college and I've now built my chassis there. Also, I rent a lockup garage from the council (£7 a week) to keep stuff. Problem is, it has no power (and you're banned from doing any major work there anyway). So I'm therefore also doing the small stuff at home like painting bits, rebuilding engine etc. etc.

What I'd recommend is going around your neighbours houses and see if you can rent their garage (that has power/light) and build it there. Obviously there's issues with noise and stuff but you'll have to work that out with them.

HTH,

James

UncleFista

posted on 3/9/02 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
I've used 2 mates garages so far, the first ones better half got pissed off and kicked us out
The one I'm using at the moment is a few miles away, this is the biggest annoyance of the build so far, no popping into the garage to do an hours fettling. To work on the car I have to get changed and take loads of gear with me and it means staying there all day, I'd love a garage, the bloody thing would probably be finished by now ;(

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Dunc

posted on 3/9/02 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a 6m x 3m gazebo with 4 sides from Makro for £50. Went perfectly between my huts and gives loads of room to work around in and can take an engine crane no problem. Very worthwile investment. You can maybe see traces of it in my pics of the bonnet along with my 36 strip lights for when it gets dark.
Jasper

posted on 3/9/02 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I had no garage, rented a council one around the back of my house and ran 75 quids worth of exterior cable to it. Tried a gene but deafened myself. Do whatever it takes, but power is a must and the closer it is the better. And you gonna be making a lot of noise if you make your own chassis.

johnston

posted on 3/9/02 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
i rent an old pig shed off a guy in the country

comes with lecky, security (main gates get locked day and night)

loadsa coffe

dinners (added advantage of my aunt livin there)

country folk are hard on cars (loadsa homer's to pay for rent)

ever notice most farmers/farmers sons are trained welders (get my work checked within 5mins of doin it)

always another pair o' hands about

plenty of eggs (keep strength up for liftin engine/axle about)

duck or goose is booked for xmass already

Drawbacks are havin to fix his car, tractor, hay bob, wind rower, trailer for nowt

Dazza

posted on 3/9/02 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
some have built it in there drive, undercover. its possible, but not that easy i would think. I say rent a council/private garage for storage etc, and get a trailer to move it about once its rolling, then you could work on it on the trailer(can be legally left on the road with no worries on tax etc!) and can be moved to the garage when not working on it to be stored! Just an idea, as thats what i may do, unless my lottery tickets finally repay me with a bloody win!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuckit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

cmfowler

posted on 4/9/02 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice, if I want to rent a lock-up from the local council how do I go about it?
James

posted on 4/9/02 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
With Guildford council I phoned the housing department and gave them my address. They sent me a few forms including a booklet listing all the roads that had garages and how many garages there were in my area.

I then had to choose my favourite three locations and send back my choice plus a direct debit form. I expected to wait ages but within a week I got a letter telling me to come down to the council offices and pick up the keys!

But! Bear in mind they may be really strict about what you can do in yours. The rules state that nothing more than basic maintenance that'll keep the car on the road is allowed and also no storage of anything flamable etc. etc.

Also, it cost £7 per week. Up to you whether you think £365 pounds a year is too much. I look at it in terms that it encourages me to get on with the car as it costs me all the time!

Cheers,

James

Dick Axtell

posted on 4/9/02 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi CM,

Personally, I wouldn't deal with the council (but that's in Brum - don't know what your local landbergers are like). I rented privately, and have learned that these important factors must be checked :-

1: Access - the scrappies wrecker had to back in, to collect my old donor.
1b: Access - On the other hand, if access is restricted, it discourages the more casual & lightfingered members of the passing public.
2: Security: Because someone uses a couple of these lock-ups as his workplace, there is always somone about, keeping an eye open for non-regulars.
3: Location: Preferably amid owner-occupied residential housing (because they tend to be very property-concious), & in an area where petty crime is minimal.
Yeah, I know the PC brigade will have a rant about the assumptions built into 3 above, but remember, its all based on experience.

Power is definitely a problem; temporary solution has been to drop a couple of quid to the guy with the workshop, and use an extension lead. Longer term solution - use a genny (necessary for lighting & power tools).

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.