Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: which is the way.....
monsho

posted on 9/7/04 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
which is the way.....

Hi everyone...

ok, very new to all this, but have been very interested in building a car for a number of years. I studied automotive design at uni and have a few ideas of what I'm wanting as an end product from a 2 seater, bike engined etc etc and am now in the position to afford to do it financially. the downside of being in this position is that i'm working almost every hour of the day!!

To that I just ain't got the time to build from scratch or put a full kit together so I'm looking to probably buy something finished or nearly finished and mess about with that as a basis.

Would something like this be worthwhile?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29750&item=2484201595&rd=1

or just a nightmare to make decent? (ie good suspension set up etc etc)

have experience of building gearbox karts so not a complete novice with everything mechanical.

One day would like to be able to build something like my final year project.....
http://www.monsho.com/trans_sal.htm

This is a great resource by the way!

Alan B

posted on 9/7/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say it was definitely worth a look at...certainly seems genuine...and the price is good (so far).......go and look, you know you want to.....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mk-Ninja

posted on 9/7/04 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Like Alan says must be worth a look. You could do with having a ride in a couple before you make your mind up. Where are you.?

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

Jon Ison

posted on 9/7/04 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
at the rite price well worth a look, just swap that engine for a proper small capcity motor n your away, think those wheel arches need filling a bit.........

monsho

posted on 9/7/04 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
...yeah, think some spacers and offset alloys may be in order for them back arches....

I'm guessing that if a car is built around Ron Champions instructions its basically going to be a good start (as long as its been put together right), might be the best way forward for me...

I'm based in Newcastle...are there many people up here?

Mk-Ninja

posted on 9/7/04 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
There is a Nort East Group Meet, but it dosnt tell me in the last newsletter when and where they meet. ( Ill find out and U2U). You could look on the members list and see if you can find someone local to you.

Gordon

monsho

posted on 9/7/04 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
ok, have searched around a bit and I'm sure there are loads of opinions on this, but what is the performance difference between a locost with say a mildly tuned zetec and one with an R1 engine?

have done a fair amount of riding on my uncles R1 and it is frightenly quick, but also pretty useable - ie it pulls along nicely at low revs. Is this the same when transplanted into a car, are BEC still 'cruisable' or are they just going to be balls out?

i guess i need to experience a ride in both- have been taken for a jaunt in a lovely original Lotus seven (beautiful car - with the reg SUP 3R!) and that was bloody quick!

anyone offering

Jon Ison

posted on 9/7/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO the R1 will hands down every time.

Jasper

posted on 9/7/04 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
R1 will always win on excitment and cheers exhileration, but you don't wanna drive any distance in it. After driving a BEC for a while now I love it for track and local roads, but any further it's a pain in the arse.

And £££ for power you can't beat a BEC.

Depends what your gonna use it for.

Mk-Ninja

posted on 9/7/04 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
BEC wins every tme. Just get yourself a ride in one. If your ever down this way give me a shout.

Jon Ison

posted on 9/7/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
horses for courses Jasper, remember Le~mans, there n back, 2 up, camping gear, never stoped , i personally dont have a prob driving a BEC anywhere on the road............

its a matter for the individual i guess

monsho

posted on 9/7/04 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the feedback fellas, tis appreciated

I reckon buying something fairly standard and playing around with that may be the best way for me to go, then move into something more exciting! have a few ideas about interiors etc.....

Gordon,if you find out any info on North East meetings i'd appreciate that, and i may well take up your option of calling in onyou one day!

...in the mean time I'm sure I'll be pestering you guys plenty for info

cheers again

Andrew

madforfishing

posted on 10/7/04 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
That 1100cc engine is prob ex-military. A lot of them were re-cond, painted blue and crated up to be held on the shelf as spares years ago.
Cheap as chips now but who wants an 1100 xflow?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
monsho

posted on 10/7/04 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
yeah, that'll be quick to go mind - if a 1600 x flow drops straight in....
Jasper

posted on 10/7/04 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah - but it didn't rain on the trip to Le Mans!!!

What I've found driving mine for over 2.5k miles now is that I love it on track and around country roads, but over long distances it is a pain. Sitting on the motorway in the pissing rain at 8.5k revs is a pain in the arse. I also don't like having to wear a helmet on distance driving with a passenger, it's very unsocial and I like a chat - otherwise it's very boring.

I would either fit a screen and weather gear next time, or a powerful enough car engine to make up the power difference (hence wanting to use the S2000 engine). And while the bike gearbox is great at speed, at low revs it's very clunky and because the ZX9C gearbox is a little delicate, I've always got it at the back of my mine that I'm gonna knacker it (again!).

Don't get me wrong, BEC's are excellent, but they are not perfect by any means, you have to think what you want your car to do.

Jon Ison

posted on 10/7/04 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
we have to agree to disagree, i love em, Martini style, but hey, its all down to choice..............

monsho

posted on 10/7/04 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
i guess what Jasper is saying is what i was concerned about - got to make up my mind what i'd be doing with it - touring around appeals to me (as in tent on the back and off round scotland).

by the way, is this a good deal?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29750&item=2484248373&rd=1
anyone know the car?

monsho

posted on 10/7/04 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
the mention of the s2000 running gear interests me, perfect but pricy! have looked around but have never found anyone who has used an original BMW M3 drive chain (4 cylinder) - what are the downsides to this (weight, price, availability?)
type 907

posted on 10/7/04 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Monsho, you have U2U

Too much is just enough

Jasper

posted on 10/7/04 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Monsho - I initially built mine for track day use, and it's perfect for that. But since building it I've decided to get into long distance trials/rally's through Europe, and I want to be able to take the car with the wife on trips to France etc. For this I need a different type of car, somthing with 'longer legs'. The S2000 engine is not a cheap engine, but it's lightweight and has 240bhp as standard, with jap reliability - hence the choice.
I'm not sure why others haven't gone the BMW route, I think weight is one factor for sure, as is cost with the more powerful engines.

[Edited on 10/7/04 by Jasper]

blueshift

posted on 10/7/04 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
dunno about the £ for power comment. I think BECs are pretty much the top end of money for power (although they're so light).

rover v8s (who'd have thought I'd mention them?) cost from 250 with gearbox for 150bhp, ours was 600 for an EFI Vitesse one (~190bhp) that had just been rebuilt.

and pintos can pretty much be had for nothing if you find the right person.

James

posted on 12/7/04 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I think Jasper's been spending too much time with Mr Hicost!

James

Jasper

posted on 12/7/04 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Delusions of grandure
greggors84

posted on 15/7/04 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
Blueshift - Maybe it should be Excitment/Acceleration per Pound. As you would need to spend alot on a car engine to get close to BEC acceleration.

Im hoping our £250 pinto can do the job!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.