Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1300 X-Flow
Stuart Walker

posted on 8/9/04 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
1300 X-Flow

Due to insurance companies laughing at me I've had to change my engine plans from Fireblade to the 1300 X-Flow that was in the car when I bought it.

It was supposed to be for the 750 MC series, so its lightened (a bit), has a Weber carb., and a baffled sump. Firstly, will it be any good performance-wise? Secondly, what can I do to it to make it better! Also, its got a 4-speed GT box on it, worth changing to a 5-speed or not?

Thanks,
Stu

[Edited on 8/9/04 by Stuart Walker]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 9/9/04 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
I can only give an evasive answer!

First, the car will NOT be slow with a 1300 engine in it, especially one that's been worked on - expect to be faster than most hot hatches and many so-called sports cars.

You'll probably find that the 4-speed will work just fine as the gears are supposed to be better spaced. The type 9 5-speed box has a 1st gear that's ridiculously low (good for little over 20mph), and which you'll rarely use. The 5th gear is only slightly higher than 4th. The only reason I have a 5-speed box is that I intend to fit a set of Quaife gears, where you get gear ratios properly spaced for a light-weight car (40+mph in 1st!)... when I can afford a set and get them fitted in the box.

So, to sum up, my answer is to stick with what you've got, have a ball for a year or so until the insurance companies are happy with you, then either build a new road blaster, or upgrade what you've got.

Happy driving!

David

Bob da builder

posted on 9/9/04 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
hey up mate,

i have a 1360cc x flow with kent BCF2 cam and twin 40 webers on a standard 4speed box and she flyes!!!!

the speedo is electronic and will not keep up with the accerleration, im guessing 7sec 0-60 (counting in my head!!) its 70bhp @6000rpm and she reves nicely to 7000 (generally red line at 6500) it sounds like a bike engine on full flow and i have yet to be beaten by saxo box racers and the like!!!

the 4speed box is ok but to cruse above 60mph on the motorway is pushing it a bit (3500 rpm = 60mph). she is a bit thursty tho, on a run 22mpg and on the lanes 18mpg. have a track day at oulton park soon, reckopn will get sub 10mpg!!

trust me mate, you WILL NOT be dissapointed!! if you in cheshire anytime just yell and i`ll take you out for a spin!!

as for insurance, im with adrian flux, im 23 and paying £491 limited to 5000miles

all the best matey

bob

Fifer

posted on 9/9/04 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
If the car is for the road only and not restricted to race rules etc. You have endless oportunities to add power to your 1300. if the engine has baffled sump etc, I'm guessing it will have a hott-ish cam, perhaps even some head work so if you add a set of suitably jetted twin 40's you will not need much more power than that.
I run a X Flow 1660 with the Bullit 4 speed box and agree with the comments above that the 1st to 3rd gears are excellent with only 4th causing a bit of grief being too low.
Best bit about XFlows is the amazing amount of tuning parts available and the simplicity of the engine wich IMHO makes it "the" choice for a 7 type car.
I keep my bike engine in my Bike, thats where it works best and gives most things on four wheels a beating.
Not on very twisty roads mind you !!! Thats where our cars really differ from other road vehicles

Stuart Walker

posted on 9/9/04 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, I'm happy again now! Off outside to have a good look at it!

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.