Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: please read. re: new car tax rules
blair

posted on 6/10/04 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
please read. re: new car tax rules

hiya, its not that related to building or owning a locost but you better read it http://www.abd.org.uk/pr/415.htm its to do with an added car taxation that will cover all cars, yep even SORN'd ones
on a more related topic, the robin hood lightweight, do ya recon it'll be any good im thinking of building a 7 style car and it seems to be quick and easy (and cheep) to build, or would i be better with a more "book"chassis?

Subject editted by ChrisW

[Edited on 10/10/04 by ChrisW]

dozracing

posted on 6/10/04 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Blair,

By and large the Robin Hood kits get a bit of a slating for poor quality and the difficulty of building something of reasonably standard from it. There have been many threads on here about this. To be fair to Robin Hood i don't recall anyone talking about the Lightweight though.

Most of the people on this list would recommend building a Locost derived car, either by the book (takes age but you learn a lot) or from one of the manufacturers like, GTS, Luego, MK or Stuart Taylor. Each of these kits is well supported on this site by many builders who can pass on their experiences and advice at each stage of the build.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 6/10/04 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I read about this the other day.

It's going back to the middle ages, a bit like the window tax, how will a scrapyard owner go on? Does it have to run to be classed as a taxable asset? I think they are going to get into a hole trying to administer this one. The lightweight RH thing at Donington didn't look as bad as I thought it would and it was certainly cheap. They've put a response address on there, that was a mistake mine's gone in already. Bury the b@$tards.

[Edited on 6/10/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

colibriman

posted on 6/10/04 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
off road car tax rant

next they will piggin be wanting us to pay tax on our suitcase's....they have wheels!

or skateboards...

or wheel chairs

or shopping trolleys...the quid will be a non-refundable tax

we should be able to tell them to poke it.....!

this government needs to get real....!

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
derf

posted on 6/10/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Taxation without representation!!!!

Break off from the rest of england, and dont tax yourself for 100 years, then after the first hundred years start slowly adding small tax after small tax until it eats up 50% of peoples income, and 1/2 of the money is spent fighting in Iraq! Thats the way we did it here, sorry I can only give you +/- 230 years worth of experience.

mark_UK

posted on 6/10/04 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
off road tax

Dont they think we (motorists)pay enough already,obviously not.What next? income tax on a job youre capable of but not currently doing ? No doubt dreamed up by some tree hugging,gay vegetarian whales against the bomb activist,on a trip caused by a bowl of dodgy lentil soup.

End rant

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/10/04 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
derf

at least the average state tax is 7 - 9%

we pay 17.5%!!!!

MikeRJ

posted on 7/10/04 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The "Fee Proposals" consultation, which closes on 8 November, claims the new tax is necessary to cover the costs of issuing photo licences to all drivers, as required by the European Union.

Errr...don't you already have to pay a fee to get either a new license or a copy of your old one if it's lost etc.?

Of course all those who have never bothered to register their car will also avoid this, along with any form of speed or traffic light camera etc.

Rob Lane

posted on 7/10/04 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
I posted about this the other week. It's the first of a few proposals that DVLA have in mind.

It is being carried out as a low cost 'tax' but that is only the beginning. Once approved by government, then the tarriff can be set by DVLA without recourse to anyone.

Tony likes this idea as it does not include any government intervention and they can claim 'nothing to do with us'.

Part of this scheme is the backing up and 'purging' of DVLAs data, along with total scrapping of any former paperwork.

Seems OK at first glance BUT this has implications for any car not currently on computer. Unless recently registered or SORN'd it will have no paperwork or details recorded.

If you found a 'Benz' say in a barn, it would have no details recorded and as such could no longer be registered for road use, unless it then went through some kind of SVA.

A lot of questions to be answered by DVLA whos answer was 'it will be sorted, but at a cost' !!

wilkingj

posted on 8/10/04 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have replied, and done my bit to say NO.

please go and read the proposals, and then POLITELY and OBJECTIVELY give you opinions, and SAY NO to the Annual registration Fees.

If Enough people respond in a negative fashion, it may not become law.

This is how we managed to get the Free tax on historic vehicles.

But please be polite etc, or they will just bin th reply.

Best Regards

Geoff

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

andybod

posted on 9/10/04 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
tax

there various partition,s against this tax going round i signed one last week i think practical classic,s is having a big push on this at the classic car show toward,s the end of the month so if anyone,s visiting look out and sign it it may help to keep a few quid in your pocket
type r1

posted on 11/10/04 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
mark_uk

quote:
Originally posted by mark_UK
Dont they think we (motorists)pay enough already,obviously not.What next? income tax on a job youre capable of but not currently doing ? No doubt dreamed up by some tree hugging,gay vegetarian whales against the bomb activist,on a trip caused by a bowl of dodgy lentil soup.

End rant

your point being?

what, exactly, is the connection between a proposed new car-related tax and conservationists, homosexuals, vegetarians or people who object to the use of nuclear power?

by the way, you forgot to mention blacks, asians, disabled people, jews, christians, muslims, tall people, short people, obese people, people suffering from anorexia and the mentally ill.

i think you might be on the wrong forum.

if you want to make prejudiced remarks about people who are different from you, why don't you try the following link? http://www.lancerregister.com/

regards,

dom.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.