Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1360 xflow, bit thirsty!
Bob da builder

posted on 2/11/04 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
1360 xflow, bit thirsty!

hey up,

im running a 1360 xflow with Kent BCF2 cam, twin 40`s and its costing me a small fortune in fuel..... does anybody have any views on the below and how it will give me better MPG....

just run single 40 DCOE, will it still be just as thirsty?

run standard downdraught carb, but with cam will this be insufficent fueling?

any other ideas...... dont realy fancey a different engine, what mpg are people getting out of a standard 1300 xflow in a locost?? im less bothered about go and more about mpg!!!

if i cant get the mpg up to mid 30`s then im gona have to sell the kit as its costing me a small fortune!!!!
cheers for your time

bob

Bob da builder

posted on 2/11/04 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
p.s. if any body has a standsrd 1300 xflow that they want to p/x for mine then then i may be interested!!

spec:
1360cc, Kent BCF2 cam, twin 40`s, full rebuild / recondition 2000 miles ago (may 04) poss electronic iginition 70bhp on the rolling road

bob

barrie sharp

posted on 2/11/04 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Bob i think its the twin fortys that do it mines the same on a bog standard 1300 drinks like a fish but i do have to be first from the lights and rev it through towns

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

timf

posted on 2/11/04 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
have you had it set up on a rolling road

it does make quite a difference to consumption when they are set up correctly

Bob da builder

posted on 2/11/04 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
hey up.

barrie, i agree it must be the webbers. but as you say do have to be 1st off the lights, and she does fly, and the noise of the webbers...... bliss!!! but the wallet....

i have had it set up on the rollers and the mpg went down!!! before it was running very lean, now i would say a bit rich, barrie, do you get flames out of the exhaust?? when i boot it it lookes more like a diesel with all the black smoke!! poss the pump jets are too large, but think that will have little effect on MPG... maybe i should try a different rolling road and see what they can do......
the plan is to use the locost as my single car, make a hard top... but first need to sort the fuel out, 20k miles per year at 18mpg will be a killer!!!

cheers

bob

[Edited on 2/11/04 by Bob da builder]

barrie sharp

posted on 2/11/04 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Yea i get a bit of poping when driving but no flames and usually a large bang when i turn off!!

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

psylsph

posted on 2/11/04 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Temperature

What sort of temperature are you running at? My 1300 had no thermastat when I bought it so was running cold in the winter, thus increased fuel consumption.

Stuart

MikeR

posted on 2/11/04 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
at a guess with twin 40's you're running without a vacum on the dizzy, this will really upset fuel economy. Either change back to a downdraft and fit a vacum or ..... get mega jolt (ignition side of mega squirt).

these should help !

Although something tells me mid 30's economy isnt' going to happen if you race from the lights.

JAG

posted on 2/11/04 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
My first thought is get rid of the Dizzy and replace with a 3D ignition system - like the Megajolt.

This should give an extra 6-8mpg - maybe more depends upon how bad your current set-up is.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Bob da builder

posted on 2/11/04 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
hey up.

im running a 82 deg stat i think, poss 88...
running a fiesta bosch electronic dizzy with vacume advance (muct check the advance is working ok!) which is tapped into cylinder No.1 inlet.

even if im not booting it, say a run to a show still getting 20mpg......

think the best will be to start from scratch and set up everything again and use a different rolling road and see where i am at with that......

how do your reckon things will improve with just a single weber??

cheers bob

timf

posted on 2/11/04 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob da builder
running a fiesta bosch electronic dizzy with vacume advance (muct check the advance is working ok!) which is tapped into cylinder No.1 inlet.

nooo big problem the vacum advance is being pulsed by the 1 cylinder its much better to plumb the advance line into all four runners but be sure to use one way valves to prevent the runners from being connected

MikeRJ

posted on 2/11/04 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timf
nooo big problem the vacum advance is being pulsed by the 1 cylinder its much better to plumb the advance line into all four runners but be sure to use one way valves to prevent the runners from being connected

If you use one way valves the advance mechanism will operate only once...the first time the engine is started!

You can join the port runners together using small bore tubing or using restrictors to ensure the bulk gas flow between the runners is very low.

Bob da builder

posted on 2/11/04 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys....

will address the vacume, will take a draw off each inlet..... and get it back onto the rolling road.

as for the exhaust.... well the note has changed... louder im not too sure but def different, that and the flames are burning my wheel arch paint!!! is a 300mm (12inch) flame the norm...... thourght not!!! but does turn heads!!!!

take it easy

bob

MikeRJ

posted on 2/11/04 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
The big problem is using a long duration cam in a small engine. Trying to calibrate the carbs accurately for the RPM range in which the engine is running "off the cam" ranges from difficult to impossible, and the engine inevitably ends up running very rich under these conditions.

FYI, a single DCOE 40 flows enough for a 1360 up to about 8000RPM with the largest venturis. The higher gas flow may make calibrating the carb easier (and you don't have to worry about balancing!)

Is the distributor still running the stock advance curve? Chances are it's miles away from what your engine needs now.

Bob da builder

posted on 3/11/04 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
hey up.

the dizzy is stock bosch from a d reg fiesta.

so im assuming that a single weber will also be more reliable as well, now after 1500 miles since the rolling road they are already off ballance

so does any body have a single x flow - 40 inlet manifold for sale?? / p/x for twin 40`s on inlet.?

can i take the vacume off opposite pairs of inlets? i.e one cylinder on on intake and the other on exhaust stroke?? (say cylinder 1 and 2?)

cheers

bob

Bob da builder

posted on 3/11/04 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
ok.... more stupid questions...

how do you reckon this will run....:

if i sack the webers off and use a double choke 32/36 down draught weber and keep the ignition as it is and take a vacume off the inlet as per normal....

will it run ok or like a bag of nails?? and how do you think the mpg will be affected?? just a bit conserned that the cam and diff carb wont be too happy together??

realy wish that i had done some more research into engine set ups and mpg before spending so much money on what i have!!!

cheers

bob

David Jenkins

posted on 3/11/04 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I've read quite a few 'experts' who said that the Weber downdraft carb is the best option for a fast road cam and general road use. Plenty of go, easy to set up, reasonable economy.
I'm biased - that's what I've got on by 1600 x-flow! Pretty lively...

rgds,

David

jollygreengiant

posted on 3/11/04 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
The other thing that helps fuel economy is driving style. Don't move the throttle so much, adjust speed with gear rather than throttle possition. Each application of the throttle give 4 squirts of fuel (one per cylinder) as opposed to a single or twin choke down draught wich usually only give a single squirt of fuel. I used to run a 1660cc Xflow & that used to give me 30mpg on a run, about 25mpg over all.

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

MikeRJ

posted on 3/11/04 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bob,

Should still go pretty well with the downdraught, but you'll likely sacrifice some top end power. You'll definately have to get it re-jetted during a rolling road session though, the stock jetting will be miles out.

Are you dead set on keeping the 1300 engine? A 1600/1700 crossflow would produce the same kind of power in a lower state of tune and would be both more economic and probably more reliable.

[Edited on 3/11/04 by MikeRJ]

ned

posted on 3/11/04 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
stevem has a 1700xflow and says his drinks like a fish on twin 40's, his car is in the 2nd edition book, so it's been around for a while, drinking away..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 3/11/04 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have a long duration cam though? They can make things drink fuel as a good chunk of the fuel goes straight down the exhaust when the engine isn't running up on the cam.

A 1700 with a standard cam and properly set up carbs should be reasonably economic and will have much nicer road manners than a tuned 1300.

The problem with sidedraught Webers/Dellortos is that they can make the engine run surprisingly well even when they are quite a long way off on calibration.

DCOE's do not make an engine inherently uneconomic (contrary to popular belief), it's just that an awfull lot of them are never properly set up, and even a rolling road session is no guarantee unless the operator has had plenty of experience.

Stu16v

posted on 3/11/04 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Does it have a long duration cam though? They can make things drink fuel as a good chunk of the fuel goes straight down the exhaust when the engine isn't running up on the cam.

A 1700 with a standard cam and properly set up carbs should be reasonably economic and will have much nicer road manners than a tuned 1300.

The problem with sidedraught Webers/Dellortos is that they can make the engine run surprisingly well even when they are quite a long way off on calibration.

DCOE's do not make an engine inherently uneconomic (contrary to popular belief), it's just that an awfull lot of them are never properly set up, and even a rolling road session is no guarantee unless the operator has had plenty of experience.

Couldnt agree more except for one thing.

quote:

My Westy had a 1700 xflow,which was otherwise standard, except it had a GT cam and twin choke weber. And that drunk fuel too...surprisingly poor even when I tried to drive it carefully...

A careful right foot and a five speed box would go a long way...

Dont just build it.....make it!

paulf

posted on 3/11/04 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
My car has a 1600 engine with warm cam and 1300 pistons, it has a weber 32dft twin downdraught and fiesta electronic dizzy and a 5 speed box. I normally get about 25mpg which i thought was a bit thirsty but seems about right
Paul.

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 4/11/04 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
i only get 25-30 mpg from my 893cc!
Bob da builder

posted on 5/11/04 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
hey up guys

cheers for all the advice and ideas......

i still dont have a clue what to do tho!!!, tinker with the xflow or new engine, poss 2.0 honda i-VTEC 50mpg & 200BHP!!!..... or the extreem a new project!!!

time to do some thining....

cheers again

take it easy

bob

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.