Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec head porting recommendations
ibakes

posted on 8/8/14 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec head porting recommendations

Evening all.

Any one have any recommendations of where I could send my head to be ported in the Sussex area for my head?

I need to modify the timing chain cover and have the pistons pocketed, does any one know where I can find drawings/info for these please.

thanks in advance
Andy

FuryRebuild

posted on 8/8/14 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
The consensus seems to be that the head doesn't really need working on. It's in great shape and was designed like a racing head to get the efficiencies. SBD have a bit to say on it. Pocketed pistons and cams is the way to go. You could provably get a good supercharger installation for the same money as a a well worked head, and you'd get more power and torque with a better spread for drivability.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

ibakes

posted on 8/8/14 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hello

I'm just looking through your blog at the mo

I have read that a few times but just was seeing what was available locally, I may even have a small go myself (nothing too strenuous).

How did you get on with the wet sump?

Sorry to say your going to have to send me a link to a decent supercharger now (plus info on the pocketed pistons)

ta

FuryRebuild

posted on 8/8/14 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Check out TTS performance - they're doing a great job with rotrex superchargers. The wet sump is fine. I've not ran mine yet, but once fitted I'm going to rework in composites.

Glad you like the blog. It's also on Facebook for updates, likes, etc.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Mr C

posted on 9/8/14 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
I did quite a bit of research before building mine so thought I'd post up with my tuppence worth. As mentionood the head is pretty good as it comes though rumours suggest there is slight variation and the Hi port heard is the one to go for such as fitted to the fiesta ST150 amongst others. The way to tell is the serial numbers again on the SBD site. "Stage 2" cams can be fitted without the need for pocketed pistons, though the engine is buit to a maximun spec of about 200bhp with standard pistons/rods. For a cheap "throwaway" 200bhp option, cams ecu and ITB's is a widely accepted way to go along with a £300 engine. That was my original sensible plan, though as mentioned the lure of TTS hooked me so mine's noe supercharged, though To keep costs done a little, I've opted for a single 70mm throttle body and Caterham plenum. With supercharging there's a potential for around 440bhp, though 330 ish suits me.

On the cams I went for Newman along with HD springs. Good price, product and service.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

FuryRebuild

posted on 9/8/14 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mr C

I went a similar route. I say ... went ... but the parts are still sat in a cupboard waiting for me to finish my journey into composites.

My original spec was the Kent stage 1 cams from SBD, ARP bolts, keyed crankshaft pulley, new Mahle bearings (just because - they're cheap so replace when it's in bits) and I got a set of Jenvey 45s from here as well. This is the standard 210bhp spec from SBD - anything else and it will probably melt. I agree with you totally that out-of-the-box performance with bolt-on parts makes it a great

However, I'm now changing my mind, and will be going for the stage2 cam, pocketed pistons and new rods. This will give me about 20 more BHP, but will let me rev to 9000 all day long without worrying about it turning into scrap.

I don't have engine management yet, and will go back to SBD for the rest of my bits. I bought all of my engine bits from them because they have great knowledge and have done a lot of track miles testing these combinations. I think that's a service worth paying for. I'm also shy of getting performance parts on eBay and the like because you don't know if you're getting inferior copies and with something as important and expensive as an engine, this matters.

changing my mind means I have a spare, unused set of stage 1 cams though. There's 20% restocking fee on the cams (which is fair) so I'm offering them to anyone for 20% off list.

When I spoke to TTS about supercharging, they actually said that they use SDB pistons and then machine them down to reduce the compression ratio, so there's some healthy respect between these two excellent tuning companies.

Cheers
Mark

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Mr C

posted on 9/8/14 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
There's a few different opinions on using ARP bolts, I originally fitted a set (mains) to mine but removed them and put some new mains bolts in. I'm not technically minded but the bolts don't expand and contract the same rate as the alloy block, the threads in the alloy block are also barely up the the torque levels required to fit them because of the softness of the alloy. After some use blocks have been measured and found to be very out of shape. This was through a discussion with a reputable big name developer tuner either Raceline or TTS IIRC, They said it was my choice to use or not, it made isense to me so I removed them. So if you want a set of ARP mains bolts..

Apologies to the OP for going off piste, oh, and can't resist it a gratuitous image of my engine

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

ibakes

posted on 10/8/14 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
All I can say is cheers, .... lol

I've been wanting to go supercharged for the past few years, I brought another engine with the plans to fit it and get the car running again after being off the road for a couple of years, and then rebuild the one that is currently in there with better parts.

but as it is the new one is almost fully stripped for a full clean and rebuild, so spending a bit more on it than originally planned and then you come along with your superchargers and make me very jealous.

as for the cams, thanks for the offer, I have seen your advert but like you if I go that route then I'll be doing the same as you.

lastly, sorry for the slow reply I've been away camping.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.