Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Orbital wheels and brakes.
Rorty

posted on 13/12/04 at 04:41 AM Reply With Quote
Orbital wheels and brakes.

Anyone fancy shelling out for some nice new hoops? Orbital wheels. Rescued attachment orbital_wheel01.jpg
Rescued attachment orbital_wheel01.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 13/12/04 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Those are incredible. I especially like how the brake surface is the complete inside edge of the rim. Talk about a BIG disc!

Very cool. On their website they have all kinds of neat ideas for these wheels. The bicycles are some of the most beautiful designs I have ever seen.

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 13/12/04 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
I find it incredible they can make such a light wheel that can also retain sufficient rigidity.
Just look at the front bicycle wheel and how it's only supported at the top. The loads on that small area of the guide bearings would be enormous. They must use some pretty super precision bearings too.
And think of the RPM! I hate to think what RPM the support bearings would be doing in those car wheels when the noise is turned up!

Cheers, Rorty.

gazza285

posted on 13/12/04 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
You've hit the nail on the head there Rorty

"I hate to think what RPM the support bearings would be doing"

There is too much bearing drag to make these viable. I came across these a few years back when I was competing in Shell Eco-marathon
There was a display with these wheels on, but when you spun them the wheel hardly spun at all due to the drag. I know some of this lack of rotation could be due to the lower mass of the wheel, but the wheel struggled to make one rotation after a good shove. After all, if they were better than the normal arrangement, wouldn't we see them fitted to the racing cars and bicycles already?

[Edited on 13/12/04 by gazza285]

Rob Lane

posted on 13/12/04 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't the Orange County Choppers guy use one on a wheel of one of his custom choppers recently?

Discovery Channel program, 'American Chopper'.

The new one' Street Rod versus Custom Rod' is turning out quite good.

gazza285

posted on 13/12/04 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
The more I look at the website the more I am thinking that bullshit baffles brains.

"The OSMOS orbital wheel has broken with the commonplace notions concerning rotation : the wheel axle no longer passes through the midwheel."

I find this a trifle confusing. Of course it does, it just doesn't appear to at first glance, to deny it doesn't is just a plain lie.

gazza285

posted on 13/12/04 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
I find it incredible they can make such a light wheel that can also retain sufficient rigidity.
Just look at the front bicycle wheel and how it's only supported at the top. The loads on that small area of the guide bearings would be enormous. They must use some pretty super precision bearings too.
And think of the RPM! I hate to think what RPM the support bearings would be doing in those car wheels when the noise is turned up!

I've just reread what you posted here Rorty. It is not supported only at the top, it is basically a huge bearing with a tyre on it, hence my comment about the bearing drag.

Peteff

posted on 13/12/04 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
According to them

Resistance to wear : The reduction of specific pressure means that the bearings in particular will be extremely long-lasting: up to 100,000 km. If the wheel is part of the braking system won't that mean it wears out?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

gazza285

posted on 13/12/04 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Up to 100,000Km? Not very far in Car terms is it? My Volvo has done 130,000 miles and that is still on it's first set of wheel bearings not it's third. As a design item they are very nice, as a usable item I think not.

You may have noticed that these have got me on my high horse a little.
Re-design the wheel? Why?

posted on 13/12/04 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Running this wheel in a straight will probably give no problems but i like to know what the centrifugal force will do in a high speed turn.being fastened in the worst spot possible.
Rorty

posted on 13/12/04 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty

I've just reread what you posted here Rorty. It is not supported only at the top, it is basically a huge bearing with a tyre on it, hence my comment about the bearing drag.

Yes, but my point was it's just supported by a very small area and the loads imposed on it must be huge.
I would imagine a lot of the resistance you felt would also be because of the lack of clearance needed to keep it all tight and acurate.

Cheers, Rorty.

Rorty

posted on 13/12/04 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Didn't the Orange County Choppers guy use one on a wheel of one of his custom choppers recently?

Discovery Channel program, 'American Chopper'.

The new one' Street Rod versus Custom Rod' is turning out quite good.

Is this what you're refering to? Rescued attachment orbital_rear_wheel_sml.jpg
Rescued attachment orbital_rear_wheel_sml.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

gazza285

posted on 13/12/04 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
The forces aren't that high on a bicycle, especially a track cycle (for that is what it is) as there's no bumps to contend with and bicycles have very little sideways force to contend with.

Chop looks fantastic though.....

[Edited on 13/12/04 by gazza285]

indykid

posted on 14/12/04 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
that's great biker build-off not american chopper isnt it?

Billy Lane was the first i saw to do it, but the banner behind the bike is a Kendall Johnson one.
i'm not surprised he jumped on the wagon, it looks sweeeeeet

tom

Rorty

posted on 14/12/04 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
The bike looks as if it's on its side stand and the chain has almost reached its max clearance.
I don't mind a bit of excess, but not totally at the expense of practicality. I presume the bike's just a show pony.

Cheers, Rorty.

Rob Lane

posted on 14/12/04 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Don't recognise that as the particular bike.

Definitely OCC who had the open wheel as 'Papa Shrek', as my wife calls Paul Snr, called it 'sweet'.

I've watched so many now it's hard to keep track.

I've currently nearly filled the Sky+ disc with advance recordings.

[Edited on 14/12/04 by Rob Lane]

Peteff

posted on 14/12/04 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I presume the bike's just a show pony.

That's all any of the chopper crew bikes are. They are totally impractical. If you leaned to the left on that one the rear sprocket would be touching the road. Also the chain is running about 2" from your thigh so always wear lycra if you ride it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

indykid

posted on 15/12/04 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Don't recognise that as the particular bike.

Definitely OCC who had the open wheel as 'Papa Shrek', as my wife calls Paul Snr, called it 'sweet'.

I've watched so many now it's hard to keep track.

I've currently nearly filled the Sky+ disc with advance recordings.

[Edited on 14/12/04 by Rob Lane]

do you remember which bike it was?
will have to look out for it on chopper day over christmas

cheers
tom

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.