Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Does stuff rust if left in water?
Northy

posted on 29/12/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Does stuff rust if left in water?

I've just started Electrolysis'ing my new rear end parts, and due to a lack of power have only got one part half done

I don't want to leave it on overnight as the powersupply is getting hot due to it running at its limit, so what shall I do with the half done component?

Leave it in the Water/Soda mix overnight with the current turned off?

Or...

Take it out and squirt it with WD40 or teh like as parts will be down to bare steel and will rust again in no time!

Thanks

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Metal Hippy

posted on 29/12/04 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
If it's only half done then surely you're gonna do the electrolysis again anyway to remove rust...

So if it starts to rust again who cares...?

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Northy

posted on 29/12/04 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
But there are some machined areas I want to protect........

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andylancaster3000

posted on 29/12/04 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Bring the bits inside!!! Airing cupboard would work well

Andy

andkilde

posted on 30/12/04 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Completely submerged they should be fine -- you need oxygen for rust to take hold, fair bit less available (though there is some) in the water than in open air.

Cheers, Ted

MikeRJ

posted on 31/12/04 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Use a smaller anode or submerge the one you have less to decrease the current. You will find the current drops of considerably as the anode gets munged up with nasty stuff anyway.

I left my cortina hubs and uprights pickle overnight with a battery charger as the current source. Started on ~4 Amps and was down to under 1 Amp by the morning.

craig1410

posted on 31/12/04 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't recommend leaving it in the water unless you have at least a small amount of current still flowing as there is certainly oxygen in the water (that's how fish breath after all...). Why not connect up an old 1.5V battery just to keep the steel from oxidising or as was said above, remove most of the anode to reduce the current flow.

When you do lift it out once the process is complete, give it a good scrub with a wire brush to get the black iron oxide off (I found a brass brush to be best to get into the pores left by the process). Rinse under very hot water (to give it a head start when you dry it), dry it thoroughly, degrease it and paint it with an acid etch primer as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Craig.

Northy

posted on 31/12/04 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all,

I'm loving this easy way of de-rusting stuff! I'm well into it now.

Cheers

Graham

Liam

posted on 2/1/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hope all your bits are fine!

To be safe i'd probably dry the half done bit as if it were finished (i used a low oven for a few minutes). Then wd40 the machined surfaces. Then finish the electrolysis when you can.

Having said that though - my mate started to electrolysis a whole front upright/hub/brake assy to help dissmantle it, forgot about it for a few days leaving it submerged and switched off, then finished the electrolysis and there was no rust damage to any machined surfaces.

Liam

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.