Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine (stand) mounting plate
jps

posted on 5/10/16 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Engine (stand) mounting plate

Following on from a thread here -http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=203800 i've scavanged some 40mm 3mm wall box section and am currently making my own engine stand (and if all goes well - another for a mate).

The actual plate to which the engine is bolted up is presenting some challenges. I've got some 8mm plate and will try to make something similar to this:

But I am also wondering whether I could make something to do the same job using 3mm plate (which I have ready access to) - and then strengthening it by putting bracing behind it - such as some 25mmx3mm strips welded on at 90degrees (i.e. effectively adding gussets to the rear of the face plate)...

nick205

posted on 5/10/16 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
How is the flat plate secured to the round section?

jps

posted on 5/10/16 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
How is the flat plate secured to the round section?

In that picture (which is not my stand!) it's not connected yet.

In my stand the round section is 3mm wall round tube - approx 50mm dia - and it'll be welded onto the rear face of the mounting plate.

If the mounting plate is the 8mm I am expecting just to weld to the tube with no gusseting.

If the mounting plate is 3mm I would expect to gusset up to the tube - something like this (i'd guess at about 1inch of overlap onto the tube:

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.