Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre Advice Please
ChrisJ15

posted on 19/9/22 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre Advice Please

Hi,
I just noticed my tyres (Yokohama A048s) are starting to perish.
They are on a 500Kg 200BHP Sylva J15 used for road and (hopefully soon) track.
I'm happy with the tyres and have never had to drive on them in the wet.
I was just going to replace like for like but see some warnings that A048sare no longer E-marked so aren't legal for road use!
Does this actually matter? Would it be picked up on an MOT or would there be possible insrance problems?
Could anyone recommend some alternatives please? I have 195/60 R14s on the rear and 185/55 R14s on the front which seems to limit my options somewhat.

adithorp

posted on 19/9/22 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Toyo r888r. E marked and better in the wet (and dry IMO) than the Yoko's.

Not checked your sizes though.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ChrisJ15

posted on 19/9/22 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Toyo r888r. E marked and better in the wet (and dry IMO) than the Yoko's.

Not checked your sizes though.

They only do 185/60s in the 14 so I'd have to have the same size tyres all round (instead of the smaller fronts).
Dont want to drop the rears below 60 as first gear is already pretty redundant!

Sanzomat

posted on 19/9/22 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Dunlop Direzza DZ03 are probably the closest that are still road legal and available in 195/60/14. Not cheap though but in my experience better grip on track and also on the road than A048s.
ChrisJ15

posted on 20/9/22 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
Dunlop Direzza DZ03 are probably the closest that are still road legal and available in 195/60/14. Not cheap though but in my experience better grip on track and also on the road than A048s.

Thanks Sanzomat. Looks like they are my only option if I want to keep the current configuration, they sure are pricey though!
If I went that route, would the soft compound make sense for a very light car? I had no signs of wear at all on the previous Yokohamas.

Other end of the budget would be putting 185/60 R14 Nankang NS-2Rs all round. Saves hundreds with loss of 10mm of tread width at rear and higher profile on front (55 to 60).
Anyone have any experience of these tyres?

[Edited on 20/9/22 by ChrisJ15]

Sanzomat

posted on 20/9/22 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
There is a guy in my other club (Kitnet.uk) who raves about the NS-2R's on his Westfield. He does mostly road but the occasional track day on them. From what he says they would be a good choice.
coyoteboy

posted on 20/9/22 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
It was replaced by the A052. The A052 looks a bit guff though.

Will a non-E approved tyre get you in trouble? Probably not. Unless you crash and the insurance company want to highlight that you put dry-specific tyres on a road car and crashed in the damp, so they don't have to pay out.

adithorp

posted on 20/9/22 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
JimGiblet and pigeondave on here, have both run the NS-2R on their Furys. Jim liked them and in the dry they were impressive but they have very stiff sidewalls so don't ride as well as r888r. They have less tread but not sure how they compare in the wet as we never really had any rain on the trips when they were using them. They've both put r888s on now though.

ChrisJ15

posted on 21/9/22 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies, its much appreciated.

I swapped the 60 profile on one rear to the front to check clearance (fronts are 55) and it's very close indeed, not sure it would stay clear under heavy braking.

So looks like only option to keep two different sizes is Dunlop Direzza DZ03 but I cant find anyone who has both sizes in stock.

I think I'll try and get thru the MOT with the tyres as they are and then swap in the future as they come available. They aren't too bad and have shown signs of perishing slightly over the last couple of years. The front is hardly noticable and the rears are fine on the side walls but just show a small amount of perishing on the inside and outside of the tread. The inside of the grooves are perfect.
In fact if I could still get E marked Yokohama A048s I'd just replace the rears for now - frustrating!

Sanzomat

posted on 21/9/22 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure where you are based but if you wanted to borrow some wheels with tyres for the MOT and are near Bristol just shout. Mine are 15" but low profile so should be no bigger overall than your 14's. Ford 4x108.
ChrisJ15

posted on 21/9/22 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
Not sure where you are based but if you wanted to borrow some wheels with tyres for the MOT and are near Bristol just shout. Mine are 15" but low profile so should be no bigger overall than your 14's. Ford 4x108.

Thats really kind, thanks Sanzomat. I'm down near Southampton though so it would be a bit of a treck!

pigeondave

posted on 21/9/22 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
JimGiblet and pigeondave on here, have both run the NS-2R on their Furys. Jim liked them and in the dry they were impressive but they have very stiff sidewalls so don't ride as well as r888r. They have less tread but not sure how they compare in the wet as we never really had any rain on the trips when they were using them. They've both put r888s on now though.

Nope I was on AR-1's and prayed for no rain. Like Adi says R888r all the way now.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 22/9/22 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Ah my mistake, dave. I was confusing the Nankangs and it was those AR1s you were both on.

The other alternative is switching to 13" wheels (or 15s... though wouldnt be my choice). Even sizes seem to have less choice of tyre size than odd (No idea why). Of course it would depend if the 13s would fit over your brakes or 15s under your arches.

[Edited on 22/9/22 by adithorp]

pigeondave

posted on 22/9/22 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ah my mistake, dave. I was confusing the Nankangs and it was those AR1s you were both on.

The other alternative is switching to 13" wheels (or 15s... though wouldnt be my choice). Even sizes seem to have less choice of tyre size than odd (No idea why). Of course it would depend if the 13s would fit over your brakes or 15s under your arches.

[Edited on 22/9/22 by adithorp]

I hear that you can get massive brakes under 13" force racing wheels. There's a thread on pistonheads about it.

If you're buying new wheels, might as well go all out

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisJ15

posted on 23/9/22 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
I wasn't planning on changing the wheels, just wanted to renew the rubber.

Other than the Dunlop Direzza DZ03s which are an exact match (if someone has them in stock!) I could use the NS-2Rs wich would preserve the aspect ratio (60 and 55) but it would mean dropping from a 195 to 185 at the rear and 185 to 165 at the front and I'm not sure how much that would adversley affect grip.

Sanzomat

posted on 23/9/22 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisJ15
I wasn't planning on changing the wheels, just wanted to renew the rubber.

Other than the Dunlop Direzza DZ03s which are an exact match (if someone has them in stock!) I could use the NS-2Rs wich would preserve the aspect ratio (60 and 55) but it would mean dropping from a 195 to 185 at the rear and 185 to 165 at the front and I'm not sure how much that would adversley affect grip.

Some track type tyres have wider tread than the number suggests, but if you've been using 048's then probably same difference. If anyone has the NS-2R then maybe they can measure the actual tread width for the nominal 165 and 185? then compare that with your current 048s

wonderfulweasel

posted on 23/9/22 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just measured. My ns-2R’s have a 180-185mm wide tread width. That’s a 185/60 14.
ChrisJ15

posted on 23/9/22 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wonderfulweasel
Just measured. My ns-2R’s have a 180-185mm wide tread width. That’s a 185/60 14.

Thanks for checking. I just measured my 195s out of interest and they were more like 200.

Not sure what grip I need tbh. Haven't been on the track yet but haven't ever lost grip on cornering while pushing pretty hard on the road. Only ever lose the back under too hard acceleration especially when not pointing straight ahead. Even slight moisture on the road makes it much more exciting!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.