Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fiesta Ecoboost question
number-1

posted on 6/12/22 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Fiesta Ecoboost question

With the recent ULEZ expansion in London, i need a new car. I have seen a fair few Fiesta ecoboost 1L cars that are Cat S. Does anyone know if there is a reason for this? I know a few ecoboost engines failed due to a cooling issue, but would this make it a Cat s? I thought Cat S was structural?
cliftyhanger

posted on 6/12/22 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cat s is structural. My little jazz is a cat s because when the dear 18 year old hadn't noticed me stopped at the roundabout, it crumpled the bumper, hatch but also pushed the floor in a bit (easily straightened)
So the car would have been in a accident. Have a look at copart, stacks of fiestas on there so you car see what may have happened. It often looks like not much through to "good grief"

Teh ecoboost problems seem to have gone away by Ford fitting a proper pipe (or something) to replace the one that constantly failed. That was one time the beancounters got it very wrong....

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/12/22 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Look on youtube on what the problem with the ecoboost actually is, put me right off having anything to do with them.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 6/12/22 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Look on youtube on what the problem with the ecoboost actually is, put me right off having anything to do with them.

I know several people with ecoboosts. Nobody has a bad word to say about them, one has mentioned his car had to have a recall "fix" but that is all. One chap has had his focus for 9 years.

I would happily get one. In fact I was having a look earlier to see if prices are heading back down yet.

mcerd1

posted on 7/12/22 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
^^ I just got an 1.0 ecoboost in the new tin-top....

a few folk at work have had 1.0 ecoboosts for years now without issue - but I'll be changing the wet timing belt & oil pump belt a bit earlier just to be sure
and I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it has any carbon build up issues (but thats hardly a unique issue with all these direct injection cars these days)

not my first choice, but you can hardly get anything else in half the fords now
(I'd have loved a 2.0 NA duratec but they don't exist in anything under 10 years old and the equivalent mazda's were way out of my budget...)

-

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/12/22 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
^^ I just got an 1.0 ecoboost in the new tin-top....

a few folk at work have had 1.0 ecoboosts for years now without issue - but I'll be changing the wet timing belt & oil pump belt a bit earlier just to be sure
and I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it has any carbon build up issues (but thats hardly a unique issue with all these direct injection cars these days)

not my first choice, but you can hardly get anything else in half the fords now
(I'd have loved a 2.0 NA duratec but they don't exist in anything under 10 years old and the equivalent mazda's were way out of my budget...)

A matey owns a garage. He has a couple of things to say about ecoboosts. Firstly, it is a small engine, do not expect it to last 200k. Secondly, they are sensitive to oil quality and service intervals. Important to use the exact correcty spec oil. Otherwise the belt can break up, and goodbye engine. If the belt doesn't break first, the debris blocks the oil pump.

Changing the belt appears to be "difficult" so expect it to cost about £1000

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/12/22 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I was referring to - linky
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 10/12/22 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
that refers to the 4 cylinder version,
the 1L is only 3 cylinder, and has its own list of common faults

mcerd1

posted on 11/12/22 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
that refers to the 4 cylinder version,
the 1L is only 3 cylinder, and has its own list of common faults

^^ what he said

the 1.0 is the ground up new design with the iron block (and the weird wet timing belt)

the 1.5 /1.6 are alloy block type thats more or less just the old sigma engine with direct injection and a turbo (ie the same as the 1.25, 1.4, 1.6 1.7 engines that have been in fiesta's since the 1990's )

[Edited on 11/12/2022 by mcerd1]

-

number-1

posted on 17/12/22 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I will reconsider the ecoboost option until i do some more homework.

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/12/22 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Consider Suzuki stuff. Their 1 litre turbo (the superbly named Boosterjet) is good, I test drove a Baleno and was impressed at the value they offer with veruy few documented issues.
I am looking at buying a cat n/s, if possible direcet and repair myself, though it seems sellers of repairted cat n/s cars struggle to sell them at the moment, so margins are small.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.