Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Used Van quesions
number-1

posted on 1/1/23 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Used Van quesions

Im considering a van as a daily driver but also to take my motorbike to trackdays and also use as an occasional camper van

Ive looked at plenty online within my budget but they all seem to have 150k miles or more yet hold a good price. Am i missing something here? Or am i uneducated in mileage along with regular decent services? Would buying a van with those miles put you off....for £6k?

Simon

posted on 1/1/23 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Used vans, like used cars have had a bit of a price surge. When I left (forced out by a pair of bullying c***s!!!) my father's company 15 months ago, I was given the van as part of payoff. I'd assumed I'd get around £8/9k - sold to dealer for £12,750 (long wheel base 2016 Renault Trafic). They sold it for circa £16...

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 1/1/23 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have a LWB Hightop 2002 Transhit (2.4 TD, 85 BHP) as my only daily driver, along with it's main purpose of towing the race car. It's heavily corroded, very heavily corroded, as are all Transhits, but being pre-common rail (and pre-emission equipment) it's all pretty simple. MoT is coming up, which I'll be approaching with the usual trepidation.
I've kept the old girl going, and will do (if I can this year), because buying someone else's piece of crap really isn't something I enjoy. I live in a world where 5-6K would be the maximum budget, unlike folk on here who appear pretty wealthy.

Mileage...? A Transhit should be good for 150K without issues. Age means rust, rust will be the issue. Lots of pre 2016 vans around at the moment, because of the upcoming ULEZ shite, along with high (dirty) VED.
Sprinters and VW's will go to Mars and back (as long as the oil has been changed), they don't tend to rot, the build quality is superb. Iveco's and 'proper' equipment are in a league of their own, usually above 3.5T.
FWD's a great for loading bikes, RWD's great for towing.

I hate buying vehicles, only really finding out why it's being sold, or has been dumped with a dealer, some time down the road. If you find a good one, try and keep it going.

JoelP

posted on 1/1/23 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Vans have always been depressing. You decide to part with a sizeable chunk of money and realise you're still looking through a list of junk. I intend to keep my current van going forever.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

nick205

posted on 2/1/23 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
At work we had to replace our aging and decaying Transit Connect a couple of years back. Got a Vivaro, it's OK, but simply a van, a metal box that rattles along. Looking at vans and buying one was depressing as they seem pricier than they should be with higher miles and more corrosion. Unltimately they've been working vehicles and most have worked hard and not been that well cared for.

Probably not in budget, but can you consider a good sized estate car with a motorbike trailer?

Simon

posted on 2/1/23 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to say - I've had Espaces for years and without the rear seats, the boot space is huge (look at https://locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=20130706_171018.jpg for a distorted image of my first when I camped in it (for one night only!!!)). A neighbour says one of his mates bought one to put his m/c in for track days so depending on height of bike.....
nick205

posted on 2/1/23 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Early Alhambra, Sharon, Galaxy is the same with all rear seats removed. Like a van, flat floor too. I know from having one.

Note:- the seats are bulky and heavy so when removed you'll need space to store them. Mine went in the garage. The seat backs fold right forward on to the seat bases so you have a hefty "lumps" to man handle.

[Edited on 3/1/23 by nick205]

bozla

posted on 8/1/23 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
The other option is to get a 'tow a van' trailer. Probably cheaper, no MOT, will hold its value and will tick all boxes.

Like this

[Edited on 8/1/23 by bozla]

[Edited on 8/1/23 by bozla]

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/1/23 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just take into account the fuel & road tax costs, there's not much less efficient than a huge heavy & mostly empty box as you only daily driver

In the end you would probably be much cheaper buying a towbar for the car, getting or making a bike trailer and maybe a trailer tent for the camping. Our friends have a custom and very expensive VW T5 camper and I've always been amazed at how cramped and small it is inside compared to my trailer tent which is so light its towed by my Fiesta, and fits in the corner of the garage when stored.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 9/1/23 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I keep being tempted by vans. I like the idea of the versatility of it. But then I start running numbers and use cases and it never made sense. However there's definitely a difference in temperature and comfort sleeping in a camper vs sleeping in a trailer tent that has a lot of deployment effort and packing involved, and that's what might swing it for me now for personal reasons.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 9/1/23 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
There really is nothing as useful as a van for me, regardless of what the numbers may suggest for others.
You can easily wheel a motorcycle into it, 2000Kg tow limit is normal (race car transport), 5.5T GTW is normal (trailer and race stuff in the van), it'll take a bunk bed frame, great for garden crap, etc., etc., etc. Any car just won't cut it.
Being over 6', no spinal issues getting things into high top version. It's secure, waterproof (until the rot eats the roof area on a Transhit). It's fine as a daily driver, unless you do silly miles on a daily basis (my own circumstances are fine in that regard, your's will differ of course).

My old 2002 Transhit lives another year! MoT man required plates above the front 'axle' mountings, both sides. Weather last week was good enough to do this all outside, making the mess easier to deal with. Lots more 'advisories', including slight float on the rear wheel bearings (apparently 'horseshoes' shim the rear driveshafts in the differential housing, these wear and allow bearing/driveshaft assembly to float insignificantly, new one on me).

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/1/23 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
However there's definitely a difference in temperature and comfort sleeping in a camper vs sleeping in a trailer tent that has a lot of deployment effort and packing involved, and that's what might swing it for me now for personal reasons.

My trailer tent has underfloor gas heating for during the day or we usually just use the electric heater and the place is utterly roasting since I always go for a electric pitch. It means we can go camping off session regardless for cheaper holidays. As for comfort mine has 2 full double beds, a sofa, eating area, a cooker/grill and basin and storage for blankets under the sofa. None of which need to be packed up until we leave, unlike camping in a van.

Most modern ones can be erected in seconds. I also carry all the bikes on the "roof rack" on the top of the trailer tent.

It also cost £450 second hand in perfect condition, which it will stay in since it's kept in the garage when not being used.

[Edited on 9/1/23 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 11/1/23 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
However there's definitely a difference in temperature and comfort sleeping in a camper vs sleeping in a trailer tent that has a lot of deployment effort and packing involved, and that's what might swing it for me now for personal reasons.

My trailer tent has underfloor gas heating for during the day or we usually just use the electric heater and the place is utterly roasting since I always go for a electric pitch. It means we can go camping off session regardless for cheaper holidays. As for comfort mine has 2 full double beds, a sofa, eating area, a cooker/grill and basin and storage for blankets under the sofa. None of which need to be packed up until we leave, unlike camping in a van.

Most modern ones can be erected in seconds. I also carry all the bikes on the "roof rack" on the top of the trailer tent.

It also cost £450 second hand in perfect condition, which it will stay in since it's kept in the garage when not being used.

[Edited on 9/1/23 by Mr Whippy]

Have to echo Mr Whippy's comments on a trailer tent.

I recently went (for work) to the Motorhome and Caravan Show 2022 at the NEC. Plenty of them on display there and theyr were pretty impressive things. Many were offered with cycle racks and heating. They also erected and stowed in minutes and were small for towing.

I'm not a caravaner or motorhomer BTW. Done a fair bit of tent camping though. Erecting/stowing my 8 man family tent is OK, but time consuming. Once packed it's chuffing heavy to haul into the back of the car too!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.