Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailer update
phelpsa

posted on 21/8/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Trailer update

Bought this off Jon Ison about 3 months ago for the extremely decent sum of £300.

When I started stripping it to re-paint I found 7 different coloured paints all layered up. Starting from the bottom we have grey, brown, bright orange, lime green, dark red, black and finally a strange shade of blue patched with random silver paint marks where the paint has reacted! So the stripping is taking rather longer than expected, and it is slowly being re-painted hammerite silver.

To remind you what it looked like when we got it:

Description
Description

Chopped up the old caravan chassis that was residing around the side of the house so I was able to move it around there. I also welded up the box section on the front so that was the first place to get a nice fresh layer of paint.

Description
Description

When I came to remove the mud guards (which had almost removed themselves due to the rust) I found that the tyres had been rubbing quite badly! This was probably the cause of our 50+mph wobble. I dread to think what might have happened if the trip to CARS had been 300miles rather than 100!

Damage to the tyres:

Description
Description

So a new set of wheels/tyres and mud guards were ordered from towsure.co.uk. These are ET0 with slightly thinner tyres and sit around 20mm away from the chassis.

New wheels and tyres:

Description
Description

And today I tried fiddling with the new mudguards to get them to fit. I ended up chopping a little off the end of them but they now fit perfectly. For photo purposes they are stuck on with sticky pads ;D

Description
Description

So, this is where I've got to so far!

Description
Description

Enjoy!

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 21/8/06 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I am in the process of renovating (and resizing the bed of) a trailer, are you planning on refitting all that chequer plate? it must weigh a ton (well ok not actually a ton, but a lot) doesn't it?

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 21/8/06 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
What a cracking job you're making of it Adam... commendation indeed! When's it up for sale?

phelpsa

posted on 21/8/06 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
It does weigh an absolute ton, but what weighs the most are the ramps that were on it! I'm thinking about cutting down the chequerplate and just having runners down the sides if you see what I mean.

Adam

phelpsa

posted on 21/8/06 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
What a cracking job you're making of it Adam... commendation indeed! When's it up for sale?

Its up for sale when I decide to buy a car more than 64" wide

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.