Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting with 4'' angle grinder
Jasper

posted on 14/5/02 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting with 4'' angle grinder

Anybody know if a 4" angle grinder in a 'Screwfix' stand will cut thro all the box section ok, or do I need a 9" grinder. Would rather use the 4" as it's cheaper to buy (as is the stand) and I presume easier to wield when cleaning welds.
Dunc

posted on 14/5/02 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
4" or 4.5"? Size matters.
Jasper

posted on 14/5/02 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
115mm, 4.5"
stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/5/02 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
115mm, 4.5"

I have used a 115mm grinder almost exculsively to cut my steel tubes and panels.

Well, four exactly.

they were all cheapies - not sure how much longer a non 15 quid one will last.

First one overheated and burnt out.

Second two stuff their gearboxes.

Fourth one going strong, but possibly might be about to throw first gear soon.

I didnt use a stand.

Dont try and cut alu with it as it just burrs terribly and looks shyte. I have a little 7 quid hand nibbler (yes, the jokes have been done...) from Machine Mart thats pretty good if you are patient and dont have girly hands.

I cut out all the 1 inch steel panels on my tank with it

ATB

Steve

ChrisW

posted on 14/5/02 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I got the 9" one and it's spot on. Guess the 4.5" would be ok but for the extra few quid I'd go for the 9" (discs last longer aswell!)

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 14/5/02 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thought the 9" would be harder to handle for cleaning welds though....
Simon Mc

posted on 14/5/02 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've just been to the Screwfix website to see how much these things are, but i cannot find them. Anybody got any ideas as to what section they are under?
Jasper

posted on 15/5/02 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
If you want a cheap one go to 'Power Tools' and then 'Ferm'. The stand is code number 8985-66.
James

posted on 15/5/02 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'd recommend getting the 4.5" one not the 9. I borrowed one of each off a friend before buying mine and spent awhile trying them. The 9" was far heavier and more cumbersome than the 4.5" and basically a pain to use.

In my opinion if you're going to be using it for grinding chassis welds then you particularly want something you can easily get into small joints etc.

Basically I'd recommend the smaller one.

James

ChrisW

posted on 15/5/02 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
As is usual for me, I'd recommend both. The 9" is the one for the stand (it's difficult getting it in and out so mine stays there) and the small one for 'hand' use. The little ones are cheap enough and the stand is good value - I expect the whole lot (two grinders and stand) would set you back less than a ton from Screwfix.

BTW Ferm was mentioned - that's the 9" I have. Gears are a bit noisey but it does the job no problem. I guess it won't last as long as an 'expensive' grinder but then again you could buy 3 cheap ones for the price of a more expensive one.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 15/5/02 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
BTW Ferm was mentioned - that's the 9" I have. Gears are a bit noisey but it does the job no problem. I guess it won't last as long as an 'expensive' grinder but then again you could buy 3 cheap ones for the price of a more expensive one.

Chris

My old B&D angle grinder was suffering from noisy gears so I had a nose around inside (typical of me - dismantle anything!). The grease was sitting in a lump at the side of the casing, while the gears went without.

If you can open the gear casing without wrecking it, perhaps you can slap a bit of grease around.

MarkD

posted on 15/5/02 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently on my 2nd £15 Power Devil 4.5" grinder from Argos. The first burnt out cutting through the anti roll bars on the donor. Argos swapped it without any hassle.

The 2nd is pretty useless as well. The casing gets so hot that it would burn your hand if you didn't have thick gloves on. I'm hoping that it packs in soon so I can exchange it for a better quality model.

Dave Hardy

posted on 16/5/02 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
I tried the 41/2" Screwfix angle grinder stand but found it to be poorly made with loose bearings making accurate cutting impossible. Also I got fed up with mounting and dismounting the angle grinder (and was too mean to buy two.)

I recommend using a decent hacksaw for the chassis steel - it is not at all difficult to cut 16 gauge RHS and accuracy is much improved.

marcjagman

posted on 13/7/02 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I am using a 4" angle grinder with some cutting discs and it's coping no problem as long as you don't try to force it thru the box section.
johnston

posted on 14/7/02 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
if you want cheap try a boot sale or somethin my 4.5 inch grinder came with a b&d drill for a tenner its that old all the stickers have wore off and it goes better than my mates brand new power devil.
Jasper

posted on 14/7/02 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go alomg with Dave, I've got the cheap Screwfix angle grinder and cutting stand, broken one of each so far, but replacements with Screwfix no probs. During the time I was waiting for replacements I carried on with a good quality hacksaw and blades, cutting each side in turn. Really accurate and not as hard as I thought it would be. Next gonna try the 1mm stainless steel cutting blades on the angle grinder, ment to be mean... Thanks Jon!
Jon Ison

posted on 14/7/02 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
your welcome.....
got thru 1 cheap grinder during build, now got a boch 4.5 inch, iv'e had it that hot "scuse the pun" i had to put it down, but its still going strong, the slitting dics i sent you will put next to no strain on the grinder if you let the disc do the cuttin.....

Peteff

posted on 28/7/02 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a 4.5 from Screwfix but it was the dear one with a bigger handle etc. and when it arrived it was a 5". £39.95 or something like that but it really works well. I don't think it would fit the stand as I abandoned that because the clamp gets in the way of the grinder when the blade wears down , anyway I bought one of their big steel cutters 13" blade and it,s been used everywhere but at £110 it was a bit extravagant
DaniSinn

posted on 14/8/02 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with that angle-grinder stand for sale in the screw-fix catalogue, to be quite honest, IT SUCKS!
Simon

posted on 14/8/02 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps,

I thought about these things before I started building, but being disorganised didn't do anything about it.

So I used a hacksaw. Wasn't that hard. I'll bet difference in time between hacksaw and angle grander is negligible.

ATB

Simon

David Jenkins

posted on 14/8/02 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
...and you don't get the grinding dust spread all over the workshop/garage (I didn't want THAT in my lathes!)

rgds,
David

Simon

posted on 14/8/02 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't have a lathe - use a pillar drill and angle grinder:-)

ATB

Simon

bass

posted on 17/8/02 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
paid £280 for my 5 inch grinder 110 volt you can use it all day it dont even get warm.used a 12inch chop off saw for all the tube,used it in the garden so i didnt get the dust every where. made a lot of noise

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.