Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The Benefit of Hindsight
Mix

posted on 28/7/03 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
The Benefit of Hindsight

They say hindsight is a wonderful thing so who am I to argue?
I'm sure most of us have at some point during our build realised that there was a better way of achieving an outcome. We may have seen it before we reached that particular stage and incorporated it, or we may not have realised it until later and either retro fitted it or just left as is but wished we'd thought of it earlier.

How about sharing our ups and downs, you never know who may benefit?

My biggest regret, (so far), is not making the chassis 25mm taller and thus simplifying the fit of my nosecone and Zetec

Mick

Alan B

posted on 28/7/03 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Good thread.

It really ought to have been started much earlier though don't you think?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mix

posted on 28/7/03 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh hindsight!!
andyd

posted on 28/7/03 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've got one to start it off.

Can we just say that there's to be no finger pointing and laughing first? No? OK then I'll carry on regardless.

Don't fit your side ally panels BEFORE knowing where the exhaust is going to exit!

Nuff said!

Andy

David Jenkins

posted on 28/7/03 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've owned up to this one quite recently, but...

Shorten your crossflow sump BEFORE fitting the engine and gearbox into the car!

It can be done the other way about... but it's VERY hard work!

cheers,

David

ned

posted on 28/7/03 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Always use the right tool for the job.
(This can be applied to most situations.)

Don't sit there bashing away thinking what you're holding in your hand will just about do it when you can go and get the right tool and do it in half the time with half the mess, half the effort and without bodging it.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
auzziejim

posted on 28/7/03 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
C'mon then ned what did you bodge with the wrong tool whan stripping your donor this weekend?

Cheers

James

Rick

posted on 28/7/03 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh, like spending almost £2000 on parts and then seeing people sell locosts for £1000 almost finished

Rick

ned

posted on 28/7/03 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
auzziejim,

me? bodge something? surely not!

Had a few problems, simplest example was taking out the rear seatbelts i thought it'd be easiest to hack the rear panels to pieces (shards of plastic everywhere) i then decided to try unscrewing the panels and the other side came out in about 30 seconds!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/7/03 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I would have made my chassis 4" wider, used 1x2" erw for the bottom rails for strength and making the chassis 1" higher.

I would have posted a thread here asking for a list of all the known book errors

I would have bought a nosecone, bonnet scuttle set from a single supplier rather than making my own

I did use plans kindly supplied by Jim Mcsorley and never regretted this!

Viper

posted on 28/7/03 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't have bought a Tiger...

Peteff

posted on 28/7/03 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Stayed out of Halfords.

I'd never have seen the book then.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/7/03 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't have bought a Tiger...

The best £17.50 I ever wasted was buying the Tiger book, at the time I was choosing between a locost, a Robbing Hood 2B, and the tiger. The RH got the kick after monitoring the 2B yahoo site for a couple of weeks (it looks sh1t too). The Tiger was firm favorite until I read the book, I don't want to upset anyone, but it's not really designed, as several copied bits welded together apart from the rear end which.....................no it will only upset folks - sorry

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/7/03 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
well, here comes my well used phrase

"im not building a book car, im building a morgan lookalike based on a locost"

would hindsight have helped me realise all the extra work and how compact and simplified the original concept was, and how to deviate just adds timeeeeeee and troubleeeeee -

possibly yes, possibly no.

but im gonna make what I have as good as I can get it! At leat itll be unique.

And ill be 65.

atb

steve

chrisg

posted on 28/7/03 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

And ill be 65.

That cars not going to be ready this year!

Cheers

Chris

You walked right into that, I'm thinking of making you my full time "straight man"!!

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/7/03 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
More power to your elbow, Steve. I have modified quite a few cars before, but until now had only (part) built a kit for someone else. Increasing difficulty with each car, but you have jumped in at the deep end - best of luck

Can't wait to see your post in the SVA section saying its passed

Mark

Metal Hippy

posted on 28/7/03 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
and at least you're not his gay man.

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/7/03 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Metal Hippy
and at least you're not his gay man.

dont worry hippy, if I was that way inclined you would be a long way down my list!

Mark :

Yeah - be great to post that one. Id like to savour putting the number plates on. I have done the bumper and mounting plates and lights for it already!

Expect questions later in the year - or april approx next year when its a good time for spraying (unless I go nuts and fork out for a pro job!).

Id like to finish it cos my youngest is in his last year at school next year and he wants to pose being driven to school in it, and I want to take it to the shows next year. Need to make a leap to get on schedule tho.

Im remaking bits of the front suspension, and will soon be aligning it all (its never been done) then its back to the grp bits - front wings and running boards.

Hope to get piccys of the 'finished' rear up in a month or so.....its not a roller at the moment. bit cramped for pics in garage.

atb

steve

chrisg

posted on 28/7/03 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
tum tee tum,

Steve's ignoring me, it'll all end in tears, mark my words.

Cheers

The invisible man

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/7/03 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry Mr G

its me failing momory. I cant handle replying to more than one or two slagging offs in a single reply

Will Bollox do?

atb

steve

chrisg

posted on 29/7/03 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yes

Cheers

Chris

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.