Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Shift Workers Here?
RazMan

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Any Shift Workers Here?

Due to circumstances beyond my control I am forced to take a temporary security job until something better turns up (gotta pay the mortgage)

I have never done this sort of thing before - 12 hour shifts (6 to 6 ) 4 days on, 4 days off, 4 nights on, 4 nights off - I desperately need advice on 'survival tips' to get me through this low point in my career, so any fellow sufferers out there?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I work shifts. 10 hours though just wandering around on my own. Summat like 4 days, 2 off 4 lates 3 off. It kinda feels like all you do is work and sleep sometimes. I actively set myself little targets, daft or not. On my last job I used to do 15 sit ups every 15 minutes ( I find if I concentrate on 15 minutes at a time then the hour passes quite quickly) because I struggle with them and they start coming round too quickly to handle. On this job I sometimes walk out as far as I can and then work out a route and how many laps till my dinner/tea. Just little targets like that work for me. You'll soon master it.

tjoh84

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
not done shifts but done 12 hour day just lots of pro plus and coffee
rayward

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
did a stint of 4 on 4 off, last year

we did 2 days 2 nights (all 12 hour shifts)4 days off .

the guy across the road from me thought i;d lost my job cos i was at home so much!!!!!

the days weren;t too bad, the 12 hour nights were a killer, worst when they fell over a weekend.

just think of all the time off!! thats what got me through it

Ray

bonzoronnie

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Shifts

Hi Raz

I worked for 5 years on permanent nights. The last two were 4 on 4 off, 12 hr shifts.

Was a lot easier for me to cope as the shift patterns didn't change.
I adjusted to sleeping through the day quite quickly.

I do not envy you. Alternating shift patterns are a Bitch

Lets hope the new year brings you the kind of work that you are looking for.

Ronnie

RazMan

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Its comforting to know that I'm not alone - thanks guys.

I think I am mostly concerned about the sleep disruption - how do you manage it on an alternating shift pattern? I will probably be able to nod off in a chair for a few minutes during my shift (might paint eyeballs on my eyelids ) but that is no substitute for a good six hour snooze is it

I might take in a laptop to keep me amused - not sure if I will be able to get on-line but at least I will be able to listen to music, design a few things maybe, write letters etc.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tjoh84

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
for your laptop dontfor get 3 do mobile broardband £10 per month
bonzoronnie

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Shift patterns

If you find you cannot cope with alternating shifts.

Why not ask your fellow workers if they would like to swap shifts.

Yes I know you will end up with all of the night shifts. Most people hate the nights. At least you will have a set pattern & will probably find it easier to cope with.

Hopefully it'll not be for long anyway.

Ronnie

paulf

posted on 26/12/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I work 4 12 hour days on 4 days off and its great apart from weekends, I have lots of time at home especially when booking 4 days holiday and would hate to go back to just having weekends off.
However if I had to work nights i would start looking for another job.Some people can manage nights with no problems but i cant handle it at all, i was offered a good job recently but it was 2 days 2 nights and 4 off but couldnt face the idea of that.
If its like the security at my firm you will find the boredom the hardest to cope with.
Paul.

worX

posted on 26/12/07 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Permanent 12 hour nights here!
6pm -> 6am 4 nights on and then 4 off.

Being able to cope depends 100% on your home life.
The fellow that does the opposite shift to me is twice my age (nearly) and so is perfectly happy not seeing his wife of 30odd years for a few days at a time, but I am getting married next year and feel like I want to spend time with my other half, and adjusting back from nights to "being alive" in the day is quite difficult for me. I don't sleep very well as it is, so with some DIY going on at the neighbours, some grass cutting and the odd postman knock at the door, it's just an absolute nightmare.

Definitely take your laptop into work. I take mine and about 3-4 films in every night aswell (not supposed to and now allowed tv - my job is like Homer Simpsons, simplest job in the world if you don't have any problems!) I stick a film on the laptop and then sometimes watch it and sometimes don't, it's just a bit comforting to have that perspective of normality - either as a tv on kind of situation or simply as human voice...

All the best,
Steve

NeilP

posted on 26/12/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mike,

I run a control centre running shift teams. We do an awful lot regarding shift health; things like diet, when/when not to eat, when to sleep in the periods before, exercise, etc. I'll try and get hold of some stuff and then U2U the details.

Most people who do it usually find that the pro's (plenty of time available in the day to do 'normal' things) makes up for the cons (nights and missing family events, etc.).

Cheers, Neil.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

perksy

posted on 26/12/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Did shift work for over 18 years

You'll get into a routine of doing it (beleive it or not)

Used Earplugs when sleeping during the day, came in handy especially during the summer when people are mowing the lawn etc

Hope you sort a day job soon, i wouldn't want to workshifts again in a hurry...

oadamo

posted on 26/12/07 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
i done 12 hours shifts a few years back i lasted a week. my body felt like it was dieing pmsl. ive even tryed taking on two jobs 8.00-4.30 then 8.00 at night till 11.00 i only lasted two weeks doing that lol.
adam

big_wasa

posted on 26/12/07 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I tried it when I was made redundant a few years back. The hardest time was leaving for work on a Sunday teatime.

Still it was the shortest job ive ever had, it only took 3 weeks to find another job.

As you say, the bills need to be paid. And it payed my mortgage that month.

[Edited on 26/12/07 by big_wasa]

billynomates

posted on 26/12/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just try not to dwell on the negatives too much, I found it particularly difficult on the drive in to work at the beginning of 3 x 12hr nights, particularly when it was the summertime and lots of people were sat outside the pub, just starting their weekend.
Shift work you either love or hate. And usually at the beginning it's quite novel working through the night, with a bit of luck you'll have got the job you want by the time the novelty wears off.

froggy

posted on 26/12/07 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
black out curtains and go to bed as soon as you get home worked for me .i did a couple of years on nights and was in bed by 7.30 am and up at around 1or 2 pm so had the afternoon to mess about
coozer

posted on 26/12/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I worked permanent night shift a few years ago for the local bus depot, 9pm to 5am 7 nights a week. Really liked drinking 4 cans at 5.20am before going to bed.

On permanent day shift now 8am to 5pm and I'm not sure which I like the most...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Blakey_boy

posted on 26/12/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I di up till Aug 05 12 hour shifts 26 days out of 28.

Mainly cos the company I was working for were too tight to train anyody else and relied on others from other regions to come in on a weekly basis to help out.

You will get used to the shift work and as others have said try to arrange your life around it including eating habits, your brain will tell you one thing and your body will tell you another, above all get into a routine that will suit you. It may take some time but it will come together in the end and you might begin to enjoy that little extra freedom you will have during the day.

Oh and if your wondering I am now 52 and have been doing shift work since I was 18.

ATB

Bob

Gene Hunt:- If anything happens to that car, I'm coming round your house and stomping on your toys, Understand?

edspurrier

posted on 26/12/07 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I do weeks of 12ish hr nights starting at 9pm - we get the day off before, so the night before I have a late night, go to bed at about 2 or 3 - then get up at the usual time so you start the morning fairly tired - then go to bed at lunchtime for a couple of hours. That way you wake up fairly refreshed at the start of the first night, so it's just a matter of reversing your routine.

Sleeping for the day is easier after a sausage sandwich and a beer.

After the last night, drive through and go to bed at usual non-night-shift time - you have a day absolutely shattered but get back in to routine pretty quickly
Good luck

bob

posted on 26/12/07 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Back on shift tomorow 12hr days 6 till 6

My shifts are pretty good thur/fri/sat sunday off then mon/tue/wed then 7 days off and start again.

I can get used to the 7 off but the first day on is a killer, i'm on my feet all day

I found it took a bit of getting used to, i tend to have a bit of toast/coffee when i get into work and then plan for tea/coffee sarnies every 3 to 4 hours.

I must admit sadly the only good part is days off in the week when its much easier to shop.

The best tip i give is when your on shift dont even think about going out on the beer, you just never seem to recover.

davie h

posted on 26/12/07 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
i do 6 on 4 off

4 early starts 2 back shift 4 days off

then change to

2 early starts 4 back shift 4 days off

then to

2 early 2 back 2 night

all nine or ten hour shifts with the odd 12 hour thrown in for football days or special events

i no longer go by the days of the week i just know if im working or not. i sometimes have to ask the wife what day it is

when i get in from my last night i get straight to bed and set the alarm for about 12 and get up i feel ruff but i get some of the day to myself and i get to sleep at a decent time that night.

Davie

[Edited on 26/12/07 by davie h]

worX

posted on 27/12/07 at 02:39 AM Reply With Quote
I never have a clue what day it is unless my missus is off.

I only ever know what day of 8 it is. (Work 4 on and 4 off permanent nights)

Steve

stevebubs

posted on 27/12/07 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Since the great bearded one took over some of the managers ideas are loopy our careers have done a u turn and we are heading for burnout.

Where are you working? Sounds like a telco...

RazMan

posted on 27/12/07 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking Santa's Grotto

Cheers,
Raz

mistergrumpy

posted on 27/12/07 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Tis true. I lose track of days. I use what I call the advent shirt system. I know how long till my next day off by how many shirts are hanging up ironed.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.