Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: cheap temporary repair
locoboy

posted on 27/10/03 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
cheap temporary repair

I have an ailing Pug 205 diesel which has been trusty since day one in 1992 and has covered 168K trouble free.

All minor servicing has been done by me and beleive it or not it is still on the same clutch! and has had 2 learner drivers learn in/abuse it!

It has recently started to suck a bit of air into the fuel system and over the last 2 weeks has been getting worse and worse to the point of not idling at all well.

this morning it just plain refused to start.

I have had my suspicions about the location of the air leak and i think it is the diaphragm in the priming unit on top of the filter.

I am getting rid of the car by the end of next month and i am getting a company car this Thursday

Can i rip out the filter housing and plumb in a normal PETROL "in line" filter?

Is the fuel under greater pressure than a petrol powered car so much so that it will knacker the filter?

The engine has an injector pump which i think will be the pump which steps the pressure up from regular (out of the tank) pressure to injection pressure.

I know the diesel filter has the provision to filter out water etc but i only need it to last another few weeks so will a normal petrol one do the trick?

Many thanks

ATB
Locoboy

theconrodkid

posted on 27/10/03 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
the filter head is under suction so wont be a prob,use a nylon mesh filter not a paper one cos it wont suck through,large comercials use nylon pre filters

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

paulf

posted on 27/10/03 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Get one for a rover 600 from an autofactors, they are a metal canister with two pipes and a drain on the bottom last one i bought was about a fiver. remember to fill with fuel before fitting as you will have no priming pump.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
the filter head is under suction so wont be a prob,use a nylon mesh filter not a paper one cos it wont suck through,large comercials use nylon pre filters

locoboy

posted on 28/10/03 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers,

Paulf,

Does the rover one have simple jubilee clip type tube attachments or is the the high pressure end that you bolt on, like hydraulic fittings, mine has the hydraulic type, Suppose if i had enough pipe left i could cut the ends off.

How do you prime the system or bleed it if there is no priming pump on the rover?

ATB
Locoboy

paulf

posted on 28/10/03 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi the pipes are push on with a jubilee clip and i think are 8mm od.The rover has a squezzey bulb in the fuel line before the pump.If you fll the filter fully using a washing up liquid botttle and then connect the fuel lines i am sure that the engine would self bleed the small amount of air in the syatem.
I also had a car with the type of filter head you are having problems with and had a misfire on cold starting for weeks and then when i serviced it and changed the filter had the exact same problem of it packing up completely, cost me about £45 for a complete filter head.
Have you looked in your local scrapyard? as there are now many peugot diesels in my local yards.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
Cheers,

Paulf,

Does the rover one have simple jubilee clip type tube attachments or is the the high pressure end that you bolt on, like hydraulic fittings, mine has the hydraulic type, Suppose if i had enough pipe left i could cut the ends off.

How do you prime the system or bleed it if there is no priming pump on the rover?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.