Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What kind of bearings?
smart51

posted on 7/5/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
What kind of bearings?

I'm trying to push a lever from a linear slide. To do so, I've joined two rose joints together. the linear slide is connected to one end and the lever to the other. This allows the lever to turn in an arc about it's mounting point.

There's a problem. If I push the blue pin in the picture in the direction of the big arrow, then the coupling turn in the direction of the curved arrow. This is because spherical bearings don't resist the movement.

I don't want the bar to twist. I just want it to push. What kind of bush / bearings do I need and where can I get them? Rescued attachment bearings.JPG
Rescued attachment bearings.JPG

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/5/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
pack it up with washers?

why did you not just use a tube with two holes drilled through it?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 7/5/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
The drawing isn't clear. The bearings aren't sliding up and down the bolt, they are bolted down firmly. The applied force is very large. Even the small fraction that is pushing the bearing down is enough to twist the rack that is doing the pushing.

I considered a solid bar with holes drilled through for the bolts. Would steel on steel wear too much?

I guess what I would like is a piece of bronze tube that pushes into a 16mm hole, say, that in turn is a nice snug fit onto the unthreadded part of an M12 bolt. I don't have a lathe to turn up such a bush.

[Edited on 7-5-2008 by smart51]

paulf

posted on 7/5/08 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Go to a local bearing factors or engineering supply place and ask for some oilite bushes.They come in varying sizes and you could find some to fit the bolt shank and a drilled hole.
Paul.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.