Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Potential upcoming disaster for my build...
GO

posted on 2/12/03 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Potential upcoming disaster for my build...

I've had to move back in with the olds, which isn't too much of a problem in itself - but there's no space for the locost!

I have been continuing to rent the garage I've been using off a mate - but now he wants it back because his precious elise can't take a bit of wet weather. So my beloved bits of a locost are being kicked out!

At my parents gaff we've already got one more car than the number of spaces and the garage is a tiddler which you can only just about park in and squeeze out through the door, so not really suitable for a build anyway.

Any1 got any suggestions??

Supposedly council garages dont allow you to do any work (not that I've found any within a 5 mile radius yet), and where am I going to find a garage with elec??

I've got about a month to work something out.

locoboy

posted on 2/12/03 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Tent?
Modify a garden shed to the minimum size required.
carport on the front of the garage and pust out in the carport whatever is in the garage at present.
Carport for your mates Elise?

I have never had the luxury of a garage!

what you aint got you cant miss

ATB
Locoboy

Jasper

posted on 2/12/03 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
You'd be suprised how small a garage you can build in - mine was a basic council one and it was fine. And yes, I had no problems with the council with car building in it.
ned

posted on 2/12/03 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not building in a garage (yet!) but my local council didn't have a clause stopping me building a car there as I read the conditions thoroughly.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GO

posted on 2/12/03 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'll continue looking for a local garage to rent then - Jasper, was yours a separate rented garage and did it have power? Who paid elec bill or was it just included in the rent?

Also, did you tell them what you were up to or did you just keep schtum and hope no-one complained?

Otherwise, I think I may have to sell my proper car and see how my bro feels about putting his outside under a cover...

No room for a car port at either site unfortunately.

GO

posted on 2/12/03 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thats good news Ned, cheers.

btw, hows the shed?

Ok, so where's the best place to look for a nearby garage to rent? I've tried Loot, but not much luck there.

I guess local shop window postcard ads.

Would the council have a number to call for this sort of thing??

DaveFJ

posted on 2/12/03 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Have you been around your neighboours knocking on likely looking houses ?

always worth a try

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

ned

posted on 2/12/03 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
just ring your local council and say you want to rent a garage. i got through to someone who dealt with that sort of thing, told me there was one available and the location, sent me a form to filll in.

Ned.

ps you siad local shop window ads, why not pop in a wanted ad, maybe someone with an empty garage out there, save you knocking on all those doors as protofj suggests!

[Edited on 2/12/03 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 2/12/03 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
we are building in a garage that's quite a squeeze - just managed to get our sierra estate donor in there with about 6" either end and 3" either side to spare. locost will be quite a bit smaller and sit inboard rather than outboard of its track, so i think we should be ok. more space would be nice, but lateral thinking and making do with what you've got, all part of the spirit
James

posted on 2/12/03 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Go round the houses of the old dears around you (as they're less likely to have cars) and see if you can rent one off them.

There'll be issues with late night grinding and stuff but worth the effort I'd have thought.

Just fix a nice smile on your face and offer 'em fiver/tenner a week and you might drop lucky!

Good Luck,

James

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/12/03 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
garages are for wimps (and those lucky b*stards who have got one!) Rescued attachment GaragesFor Wimps.jpg
Rescued attachment GaragesFor Wimps.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/12/03 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
what you really need mark, is a nice big barn to build in.

sorry

couldnt resist.

I feel for you.

My single garage seems tolerable since I added a little 8 ft square workshop on the back. still a challenge tho.

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/12/03 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Steve - smug bugger!

Its now determination, I won't be beaten at this, but I do miss the barn - especially when its raining while I'm working or when I uncover the car and find 1" of water in the footwells.

Ah memories!!! Rescued attachment GaragesFor Wimps2.jpg
Rescued attachment GaragesFor Wimps2.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/12/03 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Seriously though, if you missus is behind you in the build (or very tollerant) you can do it.

Keep as much of the car inside, axles under the bed, welder & pillar drill in the kitchen etc. After you have fully fitted something, you take it off and store it, and tick it off you list. When you have dove everything (famous last words) assemble the lot and drive to the SVA. Sounds simple, but needs a lot of planning and for thought, you don't want your stored master cylinder occupying the same space as your exhaust!

I have made mistakes - with the head (reconned) in the Kitchen dresser, I needed to turn over the engine to oil the bores ( a weekly job). I put it in 5th, moved the car back and forth - nothing. I have had clutches sieze on but never off, tried all the other gears and nothing - Ah .. temporary propshaft still in the bathroom!!

Go - don't you bloody dare give up. All you need is a bit of space 6' x 15' and a tarpauline

Mark

PS I was megga depressed when I lost use of the barn, but this shower of loonies persuaded me to keep at it - thanks to everyone

GO

posted on 3/12/03 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.

I'll find a way.

First stop I think is see is I can find a local garage to rent, and maybe buy a cover for my bro's car (hood leaks) and persuade him it'll be alright outside.

Thanks for the support and encouragement, beers all round! Ah, maybe a little early for that, don't think the boss would appreciate it too much either...

Mark, you knows theres always that feeling that when you're down, there's always someone worse off than you!

Thanks again, I'll give you an update once I've found a new home.

locoboy

posted on 3/12/03 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest what sort of rent will be expected for a single garage from the council?

I know it will vary from place to place, but is it £15 per week or more like £70 per week?

ATB
Locoboy

GO

posted on 3/12/03 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think (hope) its more like £15/week. Bloody better be otherwise my £250 is gone in just over 3 weeks!!
James

posted on 3/12/03 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GO
I think (hope) its more like £15/week. Bloody better be otherwise my £250 is gone in just over 3 weeks!!

Mine (in Guildford which is never gonna be the cheapest of places ) is just under £7 per week.

It's all done on direct debit.

James

blueshift

posted on 3/12/03 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
st albans is £7/week too. despair not!
stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/12/03 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
mine is expensive

its a bit over 600 quid a month!!!!!

but it comes with a free house

atb

steve

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.