Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Volvo T5 upgrade first run video
matt_claydon

posted on 13/8/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Volvo T5 upgrade first run video

As requested by Volvorsport, here's a video of the T5 up and running. Sorry for the lack of photos, videos and progress updates, I've been so busy working away from home and trying to get the car up and running I haven't really had time to document anything!

Since then it's had a proper exhaust made and has been to the Nurburgring and back (over 1000 miles, 200 on track) and proven itself powerful, driveable, and reliable.

A few issues to deal with but all in all I'm very happy with the installation.

Volvorsport

posted on 13/8/08 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
nice one ,

you have no issues with the getrag etc ?

was that its first startup ? it sounds a bit tappety .

any ecu issues ?

if the ecu is still controlling boost , it ll keep it low if any vital sensors are down .

especially intake temps .

how fast is it

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Benzine

posted on 13/8/08 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bilbo

posted on 13/8/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote

It's what I like to see - big turbo charged car engine

Nice job.

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

alistairolsen

posted on 13/8/08 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmm, nice!
chris_smith

posted on 13/8/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
see who needs BEC!!!

runs and hides from impending missiles!!

Project7

posted on 13/8/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Matt, That is gonna be excellent!

Project7

matt_claydon

posted on 13/8/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
nice one ,

you have no issues with the getrag etc ?

was that its first startup ? it sounds a bit tappety .

any ecu issues ?

if the ecu is still controlling boost , it ll keep it low if any vital sensors are down .

especially intake temps .

how fast is it

Almost first startup, it had started and died a couple of times previously until I realised the brake servo connection had not been plugged!

The Getrag box provided a few headaches. I had to use the super-heavy DMF to get the friction plate far enough away from the engine to engage with the input shaft splines. What I'm going to need is a custom flywheel which is 50mm 'thick' from crank surface to clutch surface, but with as little mass as possible. Tricky! Had to 'relieve' the bellhousing in a couple of places to clear the starter and crank sensor.

The ECU has proved very easy to work with. I'm not getting full boost which could be for a number of reasons, and without being able to interrogate the ECU it's a matter of trial, error and elimination to work out the problem. Potential issues are:

* No vehicle speed sensor - I understand with a manual trans the ECU uses the VSS input to work out what gear you are in; if you're in 1st or reverse it limits boost. With no sensor input I imagine it will either assume 1st gear or go into fail-safe low boost mode. To get round this I intend to make a simple signal generator circuit to fool the ecu.

* Broken boost control valve - I understand this is a common problem.

* Very hot intake air - filter is under bonnet and sucking very hot air from around turbo!

*Insufficient intercooling - not much I can do about this.

The engine was running very hot on the 'ring trip. The weather was also very hot which contributed to the probelm, but I was struggling to keep under 100-105C at a steady 60mph on the motorway. I thought maybe the engine was running lean, and will confirm whether this is the case when I fit my wideband lambda, but the ECU has not logged any mixture-related fault codes. I'm running a Mk3 Golf 1.3 rad which is as big as I can fit in the MK nose.

There's a few other minor niggles I need to work through, like smoke at idle, but they're small things I can tackle one at a time over the winter.

All in all I'm very chuffed with the engine and looking forward to working out the niggles and in a year or so getting on to fitting my megasquirt unit and having some fun with boost levels

T5 Engine @ Nurburgring
T5 Engine @ Nurburgring

[Edited on 13/8/08 by matt_claydon]

matt_claydon

posted on 13/8/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, it sounds tappety in the video but in reality is was very smooth. That sound is actually the crap camera microphone's interpretation of the very loud open exhaust!

Sometimes it is tappety (one tappet) just after startup but goes away with a rev or two. Hydraulic lifters getting on a bit I expect.

The smoke at idle I had put down to a knackered turbo, but I've since read that a failed PCV system can cause this as without crankcase vacuum oil does not drain from the turbo effectively. I have removed the valve and vacuum connection to the oil separator and so now have a slightly pressurised crankcase at idle and think this may be the problem. I will reconnect the valve and vacuum hoses and see if it helps. I've also head that the turbo oil drain hose can get blocked and this is worth removing and cleaning out.

Volvorsport

posted on 13/8/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
ive not heard of the boost limiter in 1st , only that TRACS might be switched on .

im glad you find the engine is nice , i think a few people will follow .

on the vehicles themselves they have code readers , which you can read yourself , perhaps you can tap into that .

have you got the t5 instrument cluser in your car , the temp gauge runs of the engine sensor

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

matt_claydon

posted on 13/8/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
ive not heard of the boost limiter in 1st , only that TRACS might be switched on .

im glad you find the engine is nice , i think a few people will follow .

on the vehicles themselves they have code readers , which you can read yourself , perhaps you can tap into that .

have you got the t5 instrument cluser in your car , the temp gauge runs of the engine sensor

Took me ages to find the bit about boost limiting again, but I managed and it seems to be from a reliable source: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=99149 It also says boost is cut when cooland reached 118 degrees C - seems like a high temperature to allow before doing something about it! Also in the 1993 T5 press kit:
quote:

With power always on offer, the T-5 driver can make smooth, swift progress up to a maximum speed of 149 mph, reaching 62 mph from rest in under 7.5 seconds. A torque limiter in first gear all but eliminates wheelspin.

Haven't got the instrument cluster - I'm using standalone gauges, but I have got the little diagnostic LED gismo which is giving me a few codes, mostly related to stuff I have removed and replaced (haven't erased codes), but I also get one for the missing VSS and one for the missing PCV valve which as I mentioned I will be putting back. Also got front knock sensor but that only came after a while so might be intermittent. According to the service manual you can only find out more about what's wrong using the proper Volvo diagnostic unit (i.e. if the fault is because the signal is high, low, missing, shorted, erratic etc).

Edit: Just noticed that according to the article the boost is only limited under 3000rpm, so that's probably not my issue. If the limiter does exist though, and operates when there's no VSS signal, I need to do something otherwise I'll have low boost under 3k I'll worry about that once I have full boost above 3k though!

[Edited on 13/8/08 by matt_claydon]

omega 24 v6

posted on 13/8/08 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Matt very tidy and impressive install. If I could just hijack for a minute. Are thoses R1 mirrors on your car?? if so perhaps you'd be so kind as to post a couple of pics of them close up as I'm struggling a bit with mine regarding mounting.
Again
Nice setup

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

matt_claydon

posted on 13/8/08 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you

I think they are aftermarket replacement R1 mirrors, 'twas a while since I bought them though.

Underneath the rubber boots at the vehicle end of the stems is a pivot that allows the arm to swing if the mirror is hit hard. I dismantled this joint and bolted it back together at a different angle to make the mirrors fit nicely (slightly different for nearside and offside). They don't bend back any more, but since they are within the wheelplan I don't see this as a major issue.

omega 24 v6

posted on 13/8/08 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks I did wonder why you seemed to have them at a different angle. Sounds like a weekend job.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Volvorsport

posted on 14/8/08 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
the cheap OBD readers at that age will be able to read it .

low boost is also because of nackered wastegate and CBV .

fit an MBC and bypass the electronics to see if you can get 8 psi which you should be able to .

i think the torque limiter is TRACS .

[Edited on 14/8/08 by Volvorsport]

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

bob

posted on 15/8/08 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Fantastic matt, well done.

Your now in the ex boat anchor club, a growing pile of pintos up and down the country

wilkingj

posted on 15/8/08 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one...

Makes me wonder if its worth fitting the D5 Diesel.

DONT LAUGH....
They are 163 bhp out of the box. My Mates S60 has been "re-aligned" on a rolling road by some Swedish company that do it over the internet, and it produces 190Bhp, and something like 400Ft Lb of Torque, just from the re-map alone.
It also did 55MPG all the way to Isle of Mull and back with 3 LARGE blokes in it, and the boot FULL of heavy radio gear, and a top box full of other kit. Over 1200 miles at 70Mpg (all the way on cruise control)

Hmmmm... Would easily fit in a Viento... It has to if you can get the Petrol one in a MK.

..... Mumbles to self... and wanders into the workshop with a beer in one hand and a tape measure in the other

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 15/8/08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one Matt - always good to see somebody else going down a non-regulation engine route!

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

alistairolsen

posted on 16/9/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Is the Mk an original body profile, ie not highline? or did you have to cut even the high nose to make it fit?

Any pics of your Ic setup?

Cheers

Volvorsport

posted on 17/9/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Nice one...

Makes me wonder if its worth fitting the D5 Diesel.

DONT LAUGH....
They are 163 bhp out of the box. My Mates S60 has been "re-aligned" on a rolling road by some Swedish company that do it over the internet, and it produces 190Bhp, and something like 400Ft Lb of Torque, just from the re-map alone.
It also did 55MPG all the way to Isle of Mull and back with 3 LARGE blokes in it, and the boot FULL of heavy radio gear, and a top box full of other kit. Over 1200 miles at 70Mpg (all the way on cruise control)

Hmmmm... Would easily fit in a Viento... It has to if you can get the Petrol one in a MK.

..... Mumbles to self... and wanders into the workshop with a beer in one hand and a tape measure in the other

the D5 will indeed fit , but with complicated electronics in the ecu to run the common rail injectors etc , youll need to retain the vehicles ecu .

A kit car company i used to work at infuriated me over there inability to realise the potential of the volvo range and one of the reasons why i didnt want to go back .!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.